Jump to content

M60a1 Machine Gun.


Recommended Posts

Just wondering why there is no TRIPOD for the M60A1 MG?? Granted the M60 was designed to be a light weight man portable machine gun to be used in the attack like the MG-34 and MG-42, but in a defensive setting, the M60 would have been mounted on a tripod for maximum accuracy and firepower. I did look at the infantry units and looked for the deploy weapon box, but its faded out, so I guess that means its only deployable on its attached bipod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Artkin said:

Hm I think the m240 has a similar tripod in sf2 if I'm not mistaken. 

The M-240 Bravo did have the tripod set up, I just think that the designers were in such a hurry to get CMCW out, that this detail was just simply overlooked. I'm sure after they see this error that they will remedy this issue. BTW I have been waiting for this game to come out ever since I downloaded CMBN. This really is an AWSOME Game!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The focus was primarily on the Mech units, and there isn’t a way in the CM code / TO&E to have a squad light role MG convert on the fly into a deployable MG team.  Also very likely that the tripods would be left with the tracks when dismounting in most circumstances.  However, this should be a possibility with the Infantry Platoon’s dedicated 3-man MG teams, and the tripod was part of their standard load, so I’ve made a report that this feature is needed for these units.

Edited by akd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really appreciate that your going to get this slight error fixed, I also noticed today that the M151a2 TOW Jeep has the infra-red mount attached to the top of the optical sight in game mode. but this is also in error because I served for 8 years in TOW Company 3rd Tank Battalion USMC. The TOW 2 wasn't issued to the US military until 1983, and since the time frame of this game covers 1979-1982 this is also something the designers never thought about. We in the USMC were not issued with the TOW 2 until mid 1986. Uncle Sam's Misguided Children always seemed to be lagging behind the US Army when it came to being issued all the new toys!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gary R Lukas said:

I really appreciate that your going to get this slight error fixed

Can’t promise that, but it is logged.

8 minutes ago, Gary R Lukas said:

, I also noticed today that the M151a2 TOW Jeep has the infra-red mount attached to the top of the optical sight in game mode. but this is also in error because I served for 8 years in TOW Company 3rd Tank Battalion USMC. The TOW 2 wasn't issued to the US military until 1983, and since the time frame of this game covers 1979-1982 this is also something the designers never thought about. We in the USMC were not issued with the TOW 2 until mid 1986. Uncle Sam's Misguided Children always seemed to be lagging behind the US Army when it came to being issued all the new toys!!

The AN/TAS-4 was usable with TOW/ITOW and was deployed to Europe as early as 1979/1980, but it was basically an add-on night sight for the optical tracker, versus the integrated AN/TAS-4A tracking unit for the TOW-2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks T, I read that post just after you put it up, its been a bit over 32 years since I left the USMC, but I still remember most of what I learned in those 8 years but over time I forgot some of the tech knowledge. I did shoot a few Dragons during my time and compared to the TOW I thought they were junk, lol I guess I was just spoiled with the TOW. What I would really LOVE to see, would be to have the M151 Tow jeep, hauling butt to a hill and then setting it up for a ground mount. We practiced that tactic all the time and it took us about a minute and a half to disassemble the vehicle mount and set up the weapon system on the tripod with a missile in the launch tube ready to fire, or do it in reverse and go from ground mount to vehicle mount and get the heck out of there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gary R Lukas said:

Thanks T, I read that post just after you put it up, its been a bit over 32 years since I left the USMC, but I still remember most of what I learned in those 8 years but over time I forgot some of the tech knowledge. I did shoot a few Dragons during my time and compared to the TOW I thought they were junk, lol I guess I was just spoiled with the TOW. What I would really LOVE to see, would be to have the M151 Tow jeep, hauling butt to a hill and then setting it up for a ground mount. We practiced that tactic all the time and it took us about a minute and a half to disassemble the vehicle mount and set up the weapon system on the tripod with a missile in the launch tube ready to fire, or do it in reverse and go from ground mount to vehicle mount and get the heck out of there.

You can do that in the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanx T, You were spot on, yes you can mount and dismount the TOW weapon system, which adds a lot of probabilities to the scenario designers Thanx again. God i'm loving this game more and more each day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Los said:

The M60 should very much have a tripod. I was an m60 gunner and the AG carried the tripod. It’s a basic part of the kit.

 

Los

What's AG?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bufo said:

What's AG?

I suppose something like Assistant Gunner. The Yanks use too many abbreviations and us foreigners are supposed to understand them all. I thought it maybe a spelling mistake for ammo carrier. It is All Good that was the start of OK. I am sorry @Splintyyou beat me to it. 

Edited by chuckdyke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not just "The Yanks"  I spent several years living in the UK as a consultant (along with about 15 other Americans) to their nuclear submarine program. Until we got used to it, we had a flip chart in meetings with abbreviation equivalents, with a lot of good natured banter as to whose term/acronym was the "correct" one.  The UK MOD/submarine program has just as many abbreviations and arcane terms as we do. Easily.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ultradave said:

It's not just "The Yanks"  I spent several years living in the UK as a consultant (along with about 15 other Americans) to their nuclear submarine program. Until we got used to it, we had a flip chart in meetings with abbreviation equivalents, with a lot of good natured banter as to whose term/acronym was the "correct" one.  The UK MOD/submarine program has just as many abbreviations and arcane terms as we do. Easily.

Dave

Any specialist field has its acronyms. Precise language is important, and can often be lengthy. Abbreviations must cut meeting length down considerably. :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...