120mm Mortar vs Bradley

Ok, I am in a situation in which a Bradley has long range coverage over a chokepoint.  None of my Saxhorns have the range and my Spigots cannot maneuver to get into a position to take a shot at it without 15-20 minutes to maybe get into a firing position.  I have some tanks but I know they have no chance whatsoever at the range and undoubtedly the TOWs would wreak havoc.  So I am left with 120mm Mortars.  Anybody have any success taking out a Cold War Bradley with 120mm Mortars?  

2 hours ago, FogForever said:

Anybody have any success taking out a Cold War Bradley with 120mm Mortars?  

Even if you can't take it out with mortar fire, it will surely degrade or destroy it's optics reducing the combat capabilities.

Or, just drop smoke with the mortars (IIRC Bradleys can see through smoke but can't guide ATGMs through it) and close with the tanks for a kill?

Ok, I think this might work.  I remember someone mentioning that TOWs can't be guided through smoke until the TOW2 came out.   I googled and apparently the TOW2 wasn't deployed until 1987.  So if all is correct, it appears no TOWs, and I assume Dragons as well, can fire through smoke for the entire period of Cold War 78-82.  I have already destroyed 2 M60A3s and gun hit 2 others with my ATGMs.  So I assume only 1 combat effective M60A3 left.  Although I haven't hit any of the assumed 5 Bradleys yet.  Still I think I can get over the bridge with my tanks using smoke and start actually using them. 

I set up a small test in the scenario editor and it seems to be possible, at least if you get a direct hit.

Also I remember reading that the Bradley has some super hard ceramic roofing that makes it very difficult to destroy with artillery.  I think that was in Black Sea.  It sounds like it may not be true in the CW timeframe.  Also another concern is the small 120mm Mortar.  In Black Sea, 120mm is good against the thin skin Russian/Ukraine APCs but not very effective against Bradleys.   Although if a direct 120mm mortar hit will destroy a cold war Bradley consistently, I would say it is worth taking a shot if the artillery is available.   

Smoking the Bradley will stop the TOWs, but won't stop the Bradley seeing you. Notably, it will also stop your ability to see the Bradley. That will mean that the Bradley will be able to see and shoot you whilst you can't target it.

That means that it's not a bad idea for covering an exposed movement, but if you're actually trying to fight the thing, that's still a fight the Bradley will likely win.

That will mean that the Bradley will be able to see and shoot you whilst you can't target it.

Wait, I am assuming none of the Bradley weapon systems can shoot through smoke in CW 78-82.  So neither the Bradleys or my tanks can actually fire until smoke clears regardless of whether the Bradley can see my tanks or not.  Once I get across the bridge and into covered ground, I can hopefully start picking off Bradleys one at a time.  

Well, I have the T-62 (1975) tank.  It would be a flank shot rather than a rear shot.   The Bradley is shooting down from 575 meters on the bridge which does have side concrete railing.  ....also I would face the turret towards the Bradley.  Range probably around 1300 meters.

Edited by FogForever

2 hours ago, FogForever said:

Although if a direct 120mm mortar hit will destroy a cold war Bradley consistently, I would say it is worth taking a shot if the artillery is available.  

Keep in mind that it can take a large number of indirect fire rounds of any kind to get just one direct hit.

Dave

It might be worth it to knock out that one Bradley covering the bridge.  In Black Sea, I found Medium Short to give a decent chance of a hit.  Although I suspect it is more likely with US than Russian artillery.   Don't know about CW.  The problem is it will take 9-10 minutes to call either artillery on the Bradley or smoke to cross the bridge and at the moment, I don't have anyone with direct LOS on the Bradley.  ....and checking my vehicles, none of my BRDMs, BTRs or tanks can pop smoke....although my infantry can and I have infantry near the bridge.  They might be able to put smoke on the bridge.

Edited by FogForever

Also if a T-62 is knocked out or immobilized on the bridge, is the bridge permanently blocked?  Or can I push the disabled tank off the bridge.  That is important.  If the bridge is permanently blocked, then my entire tank force is permanently isolated from the objective and totally useless.  

Yes, risky.  There is still at least one M-60 and Bradley which I haven't located and a potential position with LOS where they could be lurking.  Smoke doesn't guarantee I will get across that bridge and the consequences are extreme if the bridge ends up blocked.  And time continues to tick away. 

Edited by FogForever

Ok, decision time.  I will call in a medium short 120mm mortar strike on the Bradley.  It will take at least 9 minutes to arrive.  And since the artillery strike is not guaranteed, I will do a safe redeployment of my 2 Spigots to the front.  They will take some time to get there but they have the range to take out that Bradley.  And my infantry on the left side of the river, covered by their 2 remaining Saxhorns, will continue pushing forward cautiously.  My experience with defending Bradleys with clear fields of fire is they will eat up infantry as a mere snack.  The defending M-113 .50 cal is also pretty devastating to advancing infantry.   I really would like to get those T-62s into action sooner rather than later.  I have promised them some M-113s and I intend to deliver.

Well what is interesting as I did the turn tonight, I started looking at LOS at the back of the map near my Spigots.  I can actually get a LOS to that Bradley with a fairly quick redeployment.  That's great.  I should be able to get some shots off fairly quickly.  I still have the artillery plotted but I suspect one of my Spigots might knock it out first if I can get that LOS.   So I may not find out in this case whether artillery will take out that Bradley.  

5 hours ago, FogForever said:

Well what is interesting as I did the turn tonight, I started looking at LOS at the back of the map near my Spigots.  I can actually get a LOS to that Bradley with a fairly quick redeployment.  That's great.  I should be able to get some shots off fairly quickly.  I still have the artillery plotted but I suspect one of my Spigots might knock it out first if I can get that LOS.   So I may not find out in this case whether artillery will take out that Bradley.  

You can do a savegame and later go back to try the mortars.