Command Ops 2

Things I had not mentioned yesterday.

There is FOW with a scenario starting maybe with some known contacts, and then contact fade with time.

Objectives are not generally symmetric.  There is a realtime WIN/LOSS meter, but it is kind of rough as certain elements done get added in to the end.

There is differential LOS.  So, tanks on the move a for likely to generate a contact for infantry dug into a wooded hill while the tanks simply cannot see the unit which is calling in arty on them.

Perhaps your very shortest scenario will be 12 hours and longest like a couple of weeks.

Least units on your side maybe 20 and most maybe 400-500.

There is a filterable message log of events of different precedence.  Also, every unit has its own log that you can take a look at.

Besides overview overlays that alter counters so that you can get the big picture, you can unit and force info down to weapon counts and ammunition counts.

Unlike those who played the earlier games, you could not get the stats on every system in the game; you now can along with a little snapshot.

(gotta run)

I would like to recommend the excellent scenarios by Chris Maiorana 

http://thesharpendgaming.blogspot.com/

Some of them using maps and estabs (tables of organisation and equipment) for projects that never happened: Stalingrad, Korsun, Pacific, all testing the limits of the ai programming and the simulation engine. I think all the stuff is on Steam.

My favourite AARs were those by Dazkaz, one of the few(?) that realised there was a lot of game beyond the "a game that plays itself" promotional line which, in hindsight, poisoned the minds of many players. Mark here is perhaps one of the best players ever, his tutorials for Highway to the Reich are a classic. I have all of the stuff he wrote for the game archived for reference.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

One up to date point. There is a difference between the direct download from LnL and the version on Steam. Steam version is newer (stable beta build working toward next full release) Presumably when there is a new full version they will sync up. The beta on Steam is better as it has some fixes that are worth having.

Also, multiplayer exists. One on one with a real time opponent. As @markshot says, it doesn't lend itself well to turn based pausing. I've never played multiplayer but it's there.

Dave

My suggestion if you never played before. 

Get the free base. Understand the counter and F keys. 

Turn off order delays. Don’t worry winning. Just issues command to forces and watch the AI giving realistic orders on your behalf.

Turn on realistic order delays and see orders propagate thru the chain of command. 

Why do this?  1/3 what you are buying is the experience of real operational command. If it doesn’t feel totally new and refreshing to you, then it may not be worth investing. 

if on the other hand if you like to be a general without micro-management, then it will suit you fine. 

These op-level games were very enjoyable as one of the main challenges is understanding the UI and how to move formations so they get where you want when you want.  But, after one has mastered that, all the games started to feel the same.  There are no interesting graphics to enjoy.

Edited by Erwin

I will give you your first 4. Tips. 

1 bridge garrisons usually entrench. They will never move. Get screen shot before contacts age away. You wii want to know if you want the bridge intact. 

2 if you call your own fire missions put the filter on current.  Don’t waste shells on old contacts

3 if you come across an HQ unit call in some fire. If it routes, it cannot give orders. It’s company’s will be dead meat staring at their boots. 

4 except for arty all other units you should leave to the AI. Arty may be as much 50% of you fire power. I include mortars in arty, but for scenarios with many units. Leave them organic. 

I should note this is an planners; even more than CM. Given

multiple days

mutlple objectives

multiple reinforcements

complex OOB

large map

you expect to spend some time studying the situation. Also. Usually there is some reduction in order delays for gout #1. This the assumption of an initial plan. This time is pure gold. Don’t waste it. 

Edited by markshot

The game has no natural breaks. You are look moments when situation changes. It is at these junctures. You will change your plan and issue new orders. 

you have different speeds. Also you have run form X time. So, if you want conduct a review every hour; easy to do. 

2 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Sorry, what is "LnL"? I assume not the lock-n-load game.

I didn't realize they made a publisher of the same name out of it. Thanks, Duke.

I always liked the Airborne Assault games ever since they appeared on BFC back in the day.

How many/which modules would I have to buy for CO2 to get the scenarios I had with CO1's Battle of the Bulge? Need it as a reference for CMFB.

Edited by Redwolf