Questions / remarks on normal map files.

1) CMRT v2.10 F&R archives contain quite a few normal maps where the syntax of the file name is different from what I would expect. Like "smod_soviet_m43_officer-sr_uniform_normal map 2 [guards].bmp" From glossing at other files, it seems the normal syntax is "smod_soviet_m43_officer-sr_uniform 2_normal map [guards].bmp". Or are both of these names workable for the game?

2) What is the logic when a variant (2,3,4, etc) or a mod-tag variation like [cavalry] is not available as normal map. Will it use the normal map of the base texture, without the variation number and/or mod-tag?

It is not always easy to see the effects of normal maps. At least not on my system. Which makes it hard to test..

PS: The normal maps for doors and windows in CMRT do not match the texture.

Edited by Kevin2k

• Kevin2k changed the title to Questions / remarks on normal map files.

As usual the question is nagging me, and I decided to try and test it.

Found this vertical stripes normal map pattern here http://alexnedmonds.blogspot.com/2014/01/maya-tutorial-rope-normal-maps.html

Made a mod with 24 bitmaps: smod_soviet_m43_soldier_uniform *something*. Being 8 variants, optionally with mod-tag guards or cavalry.

Using the original name sequence: "smod_soviet_m43_soldier_uniform_normal map 2 [guards].bmp" it does not show any stripes pattern in the game.

Changed all names to make the number the first variable: "smod_soviet_m43_soldier_uniform 2_normal map [guards].bmp". Now the stripes become visible in the game.

That is the answer to point 1.