American campaign - start with the '79 or the '82?

SDG

Dear Gents,

As the name of the topic entails, I'd like to give the American campaign a go, but unsure whether I should start with the one set in '79 or '82.

The campaign description says that the campaign was designed with the 1982 start date in mind, and the earlier version was added later as an "interesting extra alternative".

In 1982 the Americans have access to a much more high tech gear, and the balance of power has clearly shifted towards NATO (Abrams and the like), but I would presume - based on the fact that this should be "the original" campaign - the missions are balanced in a manner to accomodate the aformentioned circumstance.

Thanks in advance for your kind feedback.

12 minutes ago, Erwin said:

The answer may be in your analysis.  If you want an easier campaign start with 82 to learn the system.  

Thanks for the quick reply Erwin!

My question still stands though. I know, that the Americans should have easier in '82, but as this was meant to be *the original* campaign, I assume the scenarios are designed in a way that the Soviets are not complete pushovers.

If someone played through the 1982 campaign, please do let me know how "easy" did you find it.

I would really want to avoid sinking into too much time into a "tutorial difficulty" campaign (as you yourself mentioned that it is suitable "to learn the systems").

Edited by SDG

43 minutes ago, SDG said:

Thanks for the quick reply Erwin!

My question still stands though. I know, that the Americans should have easier in '82, but as this was meant to be *the original* campaign, I assume the scenarios are designed in a way that the Soviets are not complete pushovers.

If someone played through the 1982 campaign, please do let me know how "easy" did you find it.

I would really want to avoid sinking into too much time into a "tutorial difficulty" campaign (as you yourself mentioned that it is suitable "to learn the systems").

I would not characterize the 1982 version as a "tutorial difficulty", it probably "normal" difficulty.  The equipment is better for the US but not overwhelming.  For example the core troops tank is the M60A1 Passive which is pretty much right in the middle of the road.  It can stand up to T64Bs if it is played right but do not get reckless.  The 1979 Campaign is a bit more challenging with the M48, which is a good little tank but T62s will definitely give it a tougher run.

My recommendation would be to try the first scenario in the '82.  IF you get a Total Victory with zero losses (careful as they stack up for later fights), maybe switch to '79.