Photo series showing brand new T-90M--Previously unknown protective shielding installed.

Photo credit is on each pic. Though hard to see in the first pic because of poor lighting and deep shadow, the T-90M has a potentially vital new feature--in the form of an improved version of the chains and weight balls protecting the turret ring from RPG projectiles, shaped charge shells and maybe (?) ATGMS. On the T-90M, this has been turned into a far more extensive system of protection wrapping clear around the turret (except the gun mantlet) and shielding the turret under hang and turret ring from such attack. But instead of weighted chains hanging individually and swinging freely, this is more like a weighted metal net, with the weights every place the horizontal lines cross or intersect the vertical ones. Believe this development has real military significance that may well merit some tweaks in how protection of the T-90M is treated in CMBS.

185840666_4205743899475916_7989941134514

186036018_4205743902809249_4696014671683

186094593_4205743906142582_6490228957381

184244088_4205744122809227_6689208988707

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• John Kettler changed the title to Photo series showing brand new T-90M--Previously unknown protective shielding installed.

Hadn't seen this fine set of pics before and, frankly, am not really all that great on discerning the various T-72 and T-90 versions. AllI I sought to do was find a way to get those photos over here, especially after I noticed the new (to me) protective scheme. The article you provided was very good. It packed a lot of information into a small piece.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Artkin,

Am looking at the pics I  previously posted and am not seeing these gaps you describe. Aside from a small vertical clearance so the turret can rotate without rubbing the hull top, potentially causing the net to jam the turret, the full underside of the front of the turret, save the mantlet,  has the net, as do the sides, save small gaps on both sides between back of turret and storage bustle, and rear. 

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...