Always Wondered About This

I've been replaying CMBB lately and there's a sound effect that always confused me. When some light tanks fire (I can't name a specific vehicle right now) you hear about half a dozen thunks in a row. These are light tanks with smaller guns. It is the main gun that's being fired, not the MGs, but it sounds like rapidly firing 5 or 6 shots. It only looks like one actual shot, both visually and the effect of fire. But you hear multiple discreet sounds.

So what's going on there? Is that a bad sound effect, or if that's a realistic gun sound, why does it sound like that?

I was playing early 1942, so it could have been a Pz II. Did they really rapid-fire with their main gun? I wasn't aware that was even a thing tanks did. I think I learn some new detail of WW II armament every time I play this game.

I remember when I first got the game a decade and a half ago, being completely overwhelmed by all the equipment choices. I had no background in wargaming, so I knew nothing about all those different units. I went into a lot of battles with a lot of the wrong stuff for a while.

35 minutes ago, DaffyDuck said:

I had no background in wargaming, so I knew nothing about all those different units.

Yeah... CM has a steep learning curve.  However, at least in CM1 one can click on the unit info and get a lot of information.  In CM2, the manuals are somewhat inadequate and one has to do a lot of Googling.