Running this on Ultrawide and 4K

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Totally agree.  A huge scam imo.  When the battery dies in 10 years, the car becomes instant trash (what do you do with all those deadly battery components?) since the batteries are so expensive.    And what do you do when there is another of our increasingly frequent power outages? 

Also all the proponents conveniently ignore the increasing cost of the electricity needed to charge the batteries - building new CO2 emitting power stations?  Burning more coal, oil and gas?  Or, are we all going with nuclear?

Apologies for going OT.  But, this electric car scam bugs me.

No argument from me on this one. I never owned one and don't plan on it. My sister bought an electric car and the batteries died after 100,000 miles. The cost to replace was astronomical. She went back to a non electric vehicle after that. I also think its now coming to light that Elon Musk has been overselling and exaggerating when it comes to his vehicles.

Getting back to monitors. I may be getting the 49 monitor that runs at 3480x1080P that runs at 144hz or the 5120 x 1440 model that runs at 240 Hz. Have to wait to hear back. As for the size, from what I've seen its going to depend on what you do as well as the game itself. For Flight Sim 2020 its going to be an experience. Rome Total War should also be an experience. Some games don't scale well. Just going to have to see...

You can also run multiple screens at once on an 49 monitor. Its really the equivalent of 3 monitors. Depending on what you do its going to require a powerful system. I'm currently running a I7-6700K at 4.00GHz with 32 gigs of memory and a RTX2080.

My new machine will be an AMD 5950X, 32 gigs of memory and a RTX 3070. I would have paid $400 more for the 3080 if they were in stock. I was not going to pay $1800 more for the 3090 which was available or $800 more for the AMD RX 6900 XT.

The 16 cores on the AMD should help with multitasking and the multiple screens. I'm expecting FS 2020 to be the frame rate killer app.

The small text in games like Combat Mission is a minor concern. If worse comes to worse I'll just play on my laptop and current 32 monitor. I could also just try playing on one of the multiple screens or down size the resolution. I'll have to play around and see if it will be possible to keep the monitor at highest resolution and open a separate screen to play Combat Mission at a lower resolution.

I'm hoping that in a year or so all this craziness around GPUs will subside. I may be willing to try the monstrosity that is the RTX 3090.

Being in Asia, I can get Xiaomi products (they just got pulled off the US sanctions list) which in my experience are of Korean level quality (yup, the Chicoms can make great stuff when they choose to).

Last October, I got their 34 inch curved gaming monitor, basically a straight knockoff of the Dell Alienware (probably made in the factory across the street in Shenzhen).  For 1/3 the USD price. Used daily and still going strong. However, CM won't display fullscreen, only 2/3 at best, but that may be a Macbook issue. I also remember way back in 2007 CMSF1 was promoting a Matroxx somethingorother multiscreen capability. 

As to shortages, I'm in the energy business and will say that betting on long term scarcity of any commodity is a sucker play IMHO; all the modern conveniences of civilization that Pax Brittania-Americana once provided to the Western masses cheaply remain entirely available today, but only for those who can pay. The rest must double up or do without. [/politix]

On 5/12/2021 at 8:10 PM, LongLeftFlank said:

Being in Asia, I can get Xiaomi products (they just got pulled off the US sanctions list) which in my experience are of Korean level quality (yup, the Chicoms can make great stuff when they choose to).

Last October, I got their 34 inch curved gaming monitor, basically a straight knockoff of the Dell Alienware (probably made in the factory across the street in Shenzhen).  For 1/3 the USD price. Used daily and still going strong. However, CM won't display fullscreen, only 2/3 at best, but that may be a Macbook issue. I also remember way back in 2007 CMSF1 was promoting a Matroxx somethingorother multiscreen capability. 

As to shortages, I'm in the energy business and will say that betting on long term scarcity of any commodity is a sucker play IMHO; all the modern conveniences of civilization that Pax Brittania-Americana once provided to the Western masses cheaply remain entirely available today, but only for those who can pay. The rest must double up or do without. [/politix]

If I'm not mistaken LCD screens are basically made by a few manufacturers and only the label that' stuck on it is different. Its taken so long to get components I just went ahead and cancelled everything and shopped around some more. I'm not in a rush. I was able to find a system using a RTX3080 card and paid $100 less. I am going to have to wait until July to get the system though as the graphics card is pre-ordered.

I'm also shopping around for monitors to see if I can snag a deal. One thing I do know is anything over 34 inches running over what I'm currently running 2560x1080 is going to be pushing a lot of pixels. I can't play first person shooters as I get dizzy.

Flight sim 2020 is the real killer app I have. So long as I get 30FPS I should be fine.

I run CM on a Philips 43” 4K 16:9 monitor and it suits me fine.

I especially like the increased ‘scale’ of the units when zoomed in and am not bothered (yet) by the small UI the resolution causes.

Have been playing on this res for about 3 years now.

On 5/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, db_zero said:

I'm getting a Samsung - G97T Series LC49G97TSSNXDC 49" Class 1000R Curved Gaming Monitor - Black and will be running programs in 4K will this and other Combat Mission titles function properly and look good?

Can confirm that CM works well in Ultra-wide. Can't comment on 4K, but others seems to not have issues.

Here's what 1080p Ultrawide looks like:

Tm3YEiI.png

32 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Looks great.   However, I wonder if this is achieved by cutting off the top and bottom of the usual 4:3 (or whatever it is normally) ratio?

Nope, it adds to the sides - so a wider POV.

1920 x 1080 ("regular" 1080p):

fOkoFnZ.png

2560 x 1080 ("ultrawide" 1080p):

4Iwbdka.png

10 hours ago, Erwin said:

Impressive... and must be a new evolution as am pretty sure we couldn't do that in earlier games.

Not really a factor of being "earlier". The way different aspect ratios are rendered is a cognizant choice the developer has to make - it's not a factor of generation, hardware, or technology. 

Some choose to crop the field-of-view to produce wider aspect ratios - usually done in competitive games to prevent giving an advantage; others (most?) choose to expand the field-of-view and render extra information in the wider aspect ratios.

Can't speak for CMx1 generation of games, but all CMx2 games render ultra-wide aspect with an expanded FOV.

4 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Roter Stern, what monitor do you have? I’m going to need a new one soon, but don’t want a monstrosity. 

It's nothing special - it's a few years old now, and the only reason I got it was because of a steep discount and a "full featured" stand (height adjust, rotate, etc).

It's a Dell U2913WM, if you're still curious - I'm super happy with it.

My feeling is that unless you're a competitive gamer, you can do well with just about any monitor out there.

Thanks Roter.  I have a 34" screen already, and it's only a year old, but my computer-illiterate* wife's computer could use a new monitor <cough cough>. So I was thinking of getting a larger, curved screen. 

*My wife is infinitely smarter than me in all things except, thankfully, computers. First time we played chess she checkmated me in five moves. It went downhill from there, so much so that we no longer play...I tired of losing, she tired of playing against a loser, lol.  But I am the go-to guy when it comes to buying computers and other electronics, heh, heh.