Timing vs. Triggers

Getting much closer now. By the by, I do now have an account on the Scenario Depot and am waiting instructions on how to package and upload scenarios. I'm working now on a new one for CMBN.

Anyway, maybe an easy question here. In a scenario where you have a trigger (in a building, let's say) that is defined as an "Enemy Trigger". If someone hits the trigger, pixeltruppen located in another part of the map are supposed to rush the building upon the trigger being activated. So, 2 questions:

1. Will friendly units activate the trigger, or only enemy units (let's say friendlies move into the building because the enemy isn't around)?

2. Which takes precedence - the timing or the trigger (this has sort of been answered previously for me, but I'm not seeing what I expected)?

2a. So, for example, I have a trigger in a building and they move in at 10:00. I have troops that are to rush the building again, but their times are set to 08:00 / 15:00 (Exit After / Exit Before). By my way of understanding, it seems to me my troops should rush the building anywhere from between 10:00 to 15:00. Am I correct? If not, what is correct please?

2b. What if the enemy moves in at 10:00 again, but the timing is set to 08:00 / 09:00

2c. (I never said I could count :D ) What if the enemy moves in at 10:00 again, but the timing is set to 12:00 / 15:00

Simple answers are fine here (such as 2a. 10:00 or 10:00-15:00, 2b. Won't attack, 2c. Will but only if the mother-in-law is present ;) ). I can figure out the "why's" from those.

Thanks. Believe it or not, things are really coming together. I'm kind of tying up a bunch of loose ends now with this stuff. Scenarios are coming (have close to 4 new ones now).

1.  You have 4 different terraintriggers to chose from:

- trigger friendly (any friendly unit in zone)

- trigger friendly armour (only friendly armour in zone)

- trigger enemy (any enemy unit in zone)

- trigger enemy armour (only enemy armour in zone)

They work as one would suspect 😎

2. The timer will block any triggered movement until the first time is reached and any trigger present will block the first time until the trigger is activated or the second time is reached.

2a. i belive you are correct.

2b. AI-troops would rush the enemy at 09:00.

2c. AI-troops would rush the enemy 12.00.

Perfect!! That answers my questions. I ran a couple of tests and of course, they matched your answers. For some reason I was getting them reacting even though no enemy troops were present (in Scenario Author Mode) but I believe the orders were reacting on a time I had set. I had an assault timed between 25:00 and 28:00 but wait for the trigger. Even though the trigger never happened (I had my own people on the trigger point), the assault took place. So basically the troops were obeying the timing. It looks like the timing in combination with the trigger is actually an OR statement, not an AND statement as I was thinking it to be. This really helps - thanks much (yet again :) ). 

PS - So I've written out a Truth Table for this. Now it's all clear to me (finally 🙄), so this should be my last question on triggers... (well, until the next one ;) ). Thanks to all for the help!

Edited by Canuck21

5 hours ago, Canuck21 said:

Perfect!! That answers my questions. I ran a couple of tests and of course, they matched your answers. For some reason I was getting them reacting even though no enemy troops were present (in Scenario Author Mode) but I believe the orders were reacting on a time I had set. I had an assault timed between 25:00 and 28:00 but wait for the trigger. Even though the trigger never happened (I had my own people on the trigger point), the assault took place. So basically the troops were obeying the timing. It looks like the timing in combination with the trigger is actually an OR statement, not an AND statement as I was thinking it to be. This really helps - thanks much (yet again :) ). 

PS - So I've written out a Truth Table for this. Now it's all clear to me (finally 🙄), so this should be my last question on triggers... (well, until the next one ;) ). Thanks to all for the help!

Exactly that ... triggers in CM are pretty basic so if the trigger hasn't been tripped by whatever friendly/enemy activity you have defined then the units set to the trigger will execute their orders on whatever timings you set.