Game refuses to 'see' building mod textures beyond 1-8?

Per the above, CMSF2 has abruptly refused to recognize any building textures higher than 1-8 (corresponding to the unmodded game). It was working fine with up to 14 textures and then suddenly it didn't. The game otherwise works normally. And yes, I've tried rebooting.

And no, I'm not running a giant map, it's a small dealership test map. Creating a new map with a single building on it encounters the same issue.

Now, in the Editor, I can shift click through textures 1 - 8, even if modded, but where I'd expect to see 9, 10, 11, etc., it just cycles back to 1, 2, 3. The game otherwise works and displays normally. And yes, I've tried rebooting.

This affects the H&E pack as well as my Ramadi mod pack. I have checked and rechecked the bmp file labels for typos, removed them from the Z file, put them back in one at a time and removed all other mods to ensure there's no 'conflict'. No tags are being used. (And no, I haven't 'skipped' Building 9).

I get little enough time as it is to spend on this game; to have to putz around with this nonsense for hours on end is simply infuriating and makes me want to find another hobby.

Has anyone else had this happen, and have any idea what's going on? If I crack it (before I fling my laptop against a wall in frustration) I'll tell you how.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

[Update] OK, I discovered that it was in fact a typo on texture 9. The bmp files that say facade9-exterior had an extra space between 'facade' and '9'.

So CM refuses to recognize the texture and also dumps any texture above the one with the error.

So I am now functioning again. I hope some other poor dumb bastard can learn from the 3 hours of troubleshooting I will never have back again.

Had a somewhat related problem. Wanted adding some CMRT FR roof variations to 8x8m modular buildings. Germany department in particular. Thus far no probem adding some by use of indices and they also show up in game. Though with bits of a click fest only. I.e "roof1 [germany].bmp" and adding some roof1 2..., roof1 3 etc. Remaining issue is there seems only one "damaged" version texture valid per roof type. Default is roof1-damage [germany].bmp. So I can´t add i.e a "roof1 2-damaged [germany].bmp" and get it show up (to fit with new roof1 2 ...). Is that an engine limitation or what do I do wrong? 🤨

Looks like one CAN do both, creating matching roofs and matching damaged roofs for mod buildings the same time. At least works in editor. Example for 8x8m modular building and Benpark´s F&R german city set (facades). Indices for damaged roofs is a bits different from undamaged ones.

Format for roofs (example):

roof1 [germany].bmp       (original)
roof1 2 [germany].bmp    (indexed variation Nr 2)

Format:    roofX(space)[modtag]
                 roofX(space)Index(space)[modtag]

Damaged Roofs (example):

roof1-damage [germany].bmp       (original)
roof1-damage 2 [germany].bmp    (indexed variation Nr 2)

Format:    roofX-damage(space)[modtag]
                 roofX-damage(space)Index(space)[modtag]

Purpose as said is matching a buildings facades texture set with a given rooftype´s (rooftype1 i.e) texture set. (side walls and/or roof tiles). Gives a more coherent look overall. Remaining problem is roof textures can get swapped in random ways ingame. 😐 At least I got rid of the odd timber frame roofs.

L88ZOmv.jpg

10 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Looks like one CAN do both, creating matching roofs and matching damaged roofs for mod buildings the same time. At least works in editor. Example for 8x8m modular building and Benpark´s F&R german city set (facades). Indices for damaged roofs is a bits different from undamaged ones.

Format for roofs (example):

roof1 [germany].bmp       (original)
roof1 2 [germany].bmp    (indexed variation Nr 2)

Format:    roofX(space)[modtag]
                 roofX(space)Index(space)[modtag]

Damaged Roofs (example):

roof1-damage [germany].bmp       (original)
roof1-damage 2 [germany].bmp    (indexed variation Nr 2)

Format:    roofX-damage(space)[modtag]
                 roofX-damage(space)Index(space)[modtag]

Purpose as said is matching a buildings facades texture set with a given rooftype´s (rooftype1 i.e) texture set. (side walls and/or roof tiles). Gives a more coherent look overall. Remaining problem is roof textures can get swapped in random ways ingame. 😐 At least I got rid of the odd timber frame roofs.

L88ZOmv.jpg

Looking for more!