CM Cold War with OSX M1 Macs?

jmh

Please make a note of anything that you see that seems "off" that may be due to M1. Should work fine but none of us in the beta group have an M1 Mac. My MacBook Pro is only 2 years old, so I'm not ready to shell out for a new one yet. This one still works really well.

It's good to hear that it runs on the MacBook Air though.

For Big Sur though, there is the issue of the blue progress bars not appearing for scenario load and turn processing. It's on the list of things to fix. Also the licensing screen is pretty wonky. I imagine those two graphic issues are related.

Dave

30 minutes ago, AlexUK said:

Another thing that is not clear is how long Macs will be supported gong forward. Probably nothing to worry about but would be good to hear something from the developers from this. 

Macs have been in support by BFC for 20 years. I don't think support is going to go away anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Went ahead and got the full game last night, unfortunately looks like it’s only barely playable on my M1 MacBook Air, and that’s being generous.

Very sluggish, models/textures are extremely degraded at anything beyond zoomed all the way in. Note this is without shadows, and shaders, but AA active so it doesn’t look entirely like Minecraft. Even small scenarios like NTC “you ain’t cav” are incredibly sluggish. Maybe I’m doing something wrong here?

I used to run CMBS on my 2013 MacBook Pro without issue at reasonable visual detail, and this game runs considerably worse. Took the risk, so it’s on me, but I’m pretty disappointed that the performance is so poor.

Are there any controls/settings related to Rosetta2 that can be adjusted or is it a black box and just runs the software when you start it? I'm not sure an Intel based MacBook Air would do a creditable job running CM, but I've only had MacBook Pros so I'm not sure. I don't believe any beta testers have Airs. Looking at the description though and comparing to a MacBook Pro it *looks* like it should run it well.

Perhaps Apple needs to tweak Rosetta2 after people have experience running their Intel applications. 

Sorry I can't be very helpful. I won't be getting an M1 for a while yet. I have a 2018 MacBook Pro and it is just great for what I need now.

Dave