How to use the Soviet MT-LBu 1V14?

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

I'v found if you purchase 1V14 as single vehicle it can't call artillery. You can buy spotter team for it and spotter team will call arty inside or outside vehicle, but vehicle itself will not.

But if you purcase 1V14 in composition of battalion task force it will call arty even w/o spotting team inside.

Thank you, that is the answer to the riddle.

A 1v14 purchased alone will have all batteries denied. A 1v14 that you got as part of a formation (such as MRB [task force]) will have access to the batteries. Not just fires organic to that battalion, all batteries no matter how purchased,

You can see that right in the editor. If required I have a savegame.

3 hours ago, Haiduk said:

I'v found if you purchase 1V14 as single vehicle it can't call artillery. You can buy spotter team for it and spotter team will call arty inside or outside vehicle, but vehicle itself will not.

But if you purcase 1V14 in composition of battalion task force it will call arty even w/o spotting team inside.

Good catch. I Mantised it.

• 11 months later...

1. Now a year later was it ever determined whether this was a bug or not? I just tried buying a BMP task force and also attached a separate MT-LBU 1V14.. Both vehicles are denied  off world artillery including the task force's embedded mortar battery. Is this the intended design? I also tried Redwolf's suggestion to dismount the crew but they were still denied.

2. Related to this is their anyway to actually get decent "compatibility" between Soviet artillery and forward observers. For anything larger than 121mm seems you are limited to forward observers only and even the best can only get "mediocre" compatibility. Is it possible to gain better? The attached image shows a Crack observer team having poor compatibility. I would think that was partly the point of the vehicle discussed here.

sletmig.png.b8cc42c8db91e5c1c78902a93d009c04.png

The "compatibility", (which I don't think is quite the right term, but it'll do), will depend on how high up the artillery is in the organisation chain.

120mm mortars are a battalion asset, 122mm self-propelled howitzers are a regimental asset and 152mm self propelled guns are a divisional asset. You're never going to have an on-map FO with better access to divisional guns.

I sort of understood the Forward Observers (and in QB the separate bought and attached FOs) as attached from higher echelons.

Looked in the manual and the word used is "matchup". But the manual is ambiguous imo. The section "Matchup rating" suggests it mostly affects time it takes to get in contact and thus delivery. The section "Matchup" under Support Roster suggests it also affects how "... efficient and effective" the results would be and not just how good the access is - which is why I referred to it as compatibility. Just checked on the American side and they awful matchup with the M110 gun.

Some non-exhaustive QB setups it seems that matchup rating does not vary in this title. Some units are denied access to a support unit and others are not, but there is not really any difference in matchup rating. I could swear in other titles the matchup varied, say a Tactical Air Controller would usually be worse than a FO at artillery.

As for the MT-LBu 1V14 it is just to be understood as somewhat expensive ride for a separate FO unit and not something that helps deliver artillery in anyway (in CM)?