Jump to content

How to use the Soviet MT-LBu 1V14?


Recommended Posts

The description in the manual states that it is used as a "battery command and forward observer variant equipped with extra communication and observation equipment". How does that work in the context of the game. Does it have to have a FO as a passanger or can the FO be right next to it to benefit from the equipment? I wish the manual would elaborate a bit (that goes for the other modern titles too) on how and what this kind of equipment does and how I as a player best can benefit from it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tested the vehicle in CW (aside from noticing that it's currently bugged when unbuttoned in a pretty funny way), but vehicles like the Bradley FIST in CMSF have the effect of reducing call-in times - an FO might have a 4 minute call in, but the same FO in a FIST might have a a 2 minute call-in, artillery type and soft factors depending.

Having access to a radio has a similar effect in general terms, so it's probably similar here - if you're planning to test this, what I'd suggest testing (and what I'd expect to see) is that the FO has the same effect on call-in times if they're physically in the vehicle, or if they're in the same action spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, domfluff said:

I haven't tested the vehicle in CW (aside from noticing that it's currently bugged when unbuttoned in a pretty funny way), but vehicles like the Bradley FIST in CMSF have the effect of reducing call-in times - an FO might have a 4 minute call in, but the same FO in a FIST might have a a 2 minute call-in, artillery type and soft factors depending.

Having access to a radio has a similar effect in general terms, so it's probably similar here - if you're planning to test this, what I'd suggest testing (and what I'd expect to see) is that the FO has the same effect on call-in times if they're physically in the vehicle, or if they're in the same action spot.

It doesn't work like in CMSF though. The FO team riding as a passenger in the MT-LBu doesn't actually use the optics of the vehicle, and it doesn't get the same contacts the vehicle spots with its optics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 10:39 PM, rocketman said:

The description in the manual states that it is used as a "battery command and forward observer variant equipped with extra communication and observation equipment". How does that work in the context of the game. Does it have to have a FO as a passanger or can the FO be right next to it to benefit from the equipment? I wish the manual would elaborate a bit (that goes for the other modern titles too) on how and what this kind of equipment does and how I as a player best can benefit from it.

In real life 1V14 equipped with laser range finder, viewfinder, night vision device (allows to spot up to 1200 m in conditions - stars+1/3 of moon) - all this equipment mounted in the turret, stereo-rangefinder, artllery compass. Almost all this equipmnet can be moved outside 1V14 hull and set up nearby. Usually 1V14 has own position near the command post of battalion commander, to which this battery is attached, so 1V14 in this case should locate in 2-2,5 km from forward positions of battalion and maintain proper observation of battlefield. This names "main observation post" (MOP). Important remark - in real life 1V14 was "zero point" for artillery. For more precise own position coordinates determination it had to use own gyroscope during 40 min after deployment. Or to use more simplified device, but in this case coordinates error was much significant. 

In defense 1V14 crew mostly worked outside vehicle and dug special trenches for own work near it. If need battery commander could to establish one or two other observation posts - "forward observation post" (FOP) and "side observation post" (SOP). Usually forward observation post was composed from battery's command platton leader (only officer could be a spotter) and two soldiers-artilery recons, which just operated with optical devices and radio. In the game such FOP represented like "spotter team" in BMP/BTR task forces or in "specialist teams". This post have mostly only binocular and artillery compass, sometime stereo-range finder and operates in forward lines of infantry, transmitting target's data to 1V14 via wire phone or radio. After this battery commander processed its and transmitted to 1V15 vehicle of senior battery officer (off-map), there this data processed again and transmitted to the main gun, relatively which other guns made adjustments. 

SOP could be esteblished from other personnel of battery's command platoon, but usually it was PRP-3 tracked vehicle from artillery battalion, which could be attached to motor-rifle battalion too if this battelion operated on some important direction. PRP-3 isn't represente yet in base game, but can appear in the module.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been able to use them and the crew dismounted to call fire. 
 

The vehicle has all the armor of a yellow bus so exposing it to fire is a good way to lose a FO team and those are rare enough already. I typically use the vehicle for mobility and run it up using covered routes to get closer to a good position for observing. Dismount the crew to sneak into position to call or adjust fires. 
 

H
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Halmbarte said:

I’ve been able to use them and the crew dismounted to call fire. 
 

The vehicle has all the armor of a yellow bus so exposing it to fire is a good way to lose a FO team and those are rare enough already. I typically use the vehicle for mobility and run it up using covered routes to get closer to a good position for observing. Dismount the crew to sneak into position to call or adjust fires. 

I just tested again who can reach the batteries:

- the vehicle with its crew sitting in it can not

- an observer team inside the vehicle can

- the dismounted crew can (although inside the vehicle it could not)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Redwolf said:

I just tested again who can reach the batteries:

- the vehicle with its crew sitting in it can not

- an observer team inside the vehicle can

- the dismounted crew can (although inside the vehicle it could not)

Good to know, but still does feel not quite right that they can't do it from inside the vehicle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'v found if you purchase 1V14 as single vehicle it can't call artillery. You can buy spotter team for it and spotter team will call arty inside or outside vehicle, but vehicle itself will not.

But if you purcase 1V14 in composition of battalion task force it will call arty even w/o spotting team inside. 

In real there will be normal situation, when 1V14 havn't call artiilery itself. This is just transport and radio communicator between spotting team and guns position. Spotting team finds the target and just send some data to radio operator inside 1V14. But, of course with losing of 1V14 they have to lost opportunity to call fire.  

PS. With destroyed 1V14 spotter team keeps opportunity to call fire. This is already a bug.

Edited by Haiduk
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...