Shilka needs to be buttoned

Posted (edited)

I was paying Scouts out and was seeing my infantry and armor getting hit constantly while my Shilka just sat there in the open.  I then buttoned him up and the turret started spinning for 30 seconds and then started tracking the air threats.  It makes some sense that the commander would need to hit some buttons inside the turret but this is not mentioned in the manual.

Edited by SpitfireXI

• SpitfireXI changed the title to Shilka needs to be buttoned

what??? I just lost all of my APCs to helicopters while my shilka was idly sitting on the hill with the commander sightseeing the landscape. at least now i know why. can't blame the manual as I haven't read that...

Right?  You would think the commander would be able to see the helo and decide to take it on.  The VADS does not seem to suffer a similar problem which is why I unbuttoned my Shilka commander in the first place.  

Posted (edited)

Hmmm... I just ran a test, planning to submit a bug report, but my unbuttoned Shilka is happily blazing away!

I wondered if it had to do with aircraft type and altitude but no, one target they fired almost vertically, the next target they fired almost horizontally. I wonder what the variables are that would cause your problem.

unbuttoned.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

Wow, thanks for this.  I have no idea why my Shilka commander was ignoring the vehicles blowing up next to him being hit by a Cobra.  It was really weird as once I closed him up the Shilka looked like it rebooted with the turret spinning around but not firing.

I think my case may have had to do with ECM.  It was like the turret was freaking it out, it was not tracking anything and just spinning like it was a show.  However once it got going it did empty its ammo.  I see this is a problem with the VADS.  If this happens frequently does it make sense to add a support truck with ammo?  Its weird to have a vehicle empty its ammo in only a few minutes and not have a way to keep it combat operational after that.

hmm ok, mine shilka was too cleverly placed in the woods on the reverse slope of a hill so maybe that was the problem. hones question, why does it have that radar dish if it can't see through the trunks and leaves?

Posted (edited)

I'd imagine a looking through up through trees with what I presume is a fairly small wavelength radar is going to be a mess. Radar can't see through solid objects, trunks will be an issue for sure and at a small wavelength my understanding is branches and such would also give you clutter. 

The radar is to find the target at long ranges day/night/low visibility and give tracking data on the target to aim the guns. 

Edited by Ryujin

10 hours ago, Ryujin said:

I'd imagine a looking through up through trees with what I presume is a fairly small wavelength radar is going to be a mess. Radar can't see through solid objects, trunks will be an issue for sure and at a small wavelength my understanding is branches and such would also give you clutter. 

The radar is to find the target at long ranges day/night/low visibility and give tracking data on the target to aim the guns. 

thanks for explanation, you're probably right. certainly I have no understanding of that equipment and your description explains why it wouldn't shoot. will make sure to keep that thing in the open.

14 hours ago, SpitfireXI said:

I think my case may have had to do with ECM.  It was like the turret was freaking it out, it was not tracking anything and just spinning like it was a show.  However once it got going it did empty its ammo.  I see this is a problem with the VADS.  If this happens frequently does it make sense to add a support truck with ammo?  Its weird to have a vehicle empty its ammo in only a few minutes and not have a way to keep it combat operational after that.

Engagements, particularly vs. fixed wing aircraft, should be much shorter.