Game not saving when save file´s name already exists

I am experiencing a peculiar problem in CM Red Thunder:
Whenever I try make a save that would normally overwrite a previous save with the same name - then the game doesn´t save the turn. This has begun since installing the Fire and Rubble module.

For instance I last night lost about an hour´s worth of setup "work" in the first battle of Night at the Opera. I had opened the campaign and saved the game right away as "CMFR Night at the Opera Axis b1 150" - and when I took a break an hour later I saved again with the same file name. But when I opened the game, nothing had been saved - and when I checked the time of the save file I could see that the original file had not been overwritten.
I have now tried saving different games and the result is always the same: When I give a savefile a name that already exists, then the game ignores the save.

But: I have also noticed that every time I make such an unsuccesful attempt to save, the game creates a tempfile (TMP) at exactly the same time - in the main Red Thunder folder. For instance: tempfile u5.tmp or tempfile q.tmp

Is there anything I can do - or do I need to reinstall?

I do of course have save files - though only the original versions of each 😉

Edited by umlaut

I always change the name so far no problem. Translate my name so I know which side I am playing. It could be Microsoft, the game also backs up automatically in the cloud. If this was not enabled, my PC possibly wouldn't let it save without a back-up. If it was BF everybody could have the same problem. Just my opinion Kind regards

saving.png

Edited by chuckdyke

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

I always change the name so far no problem. Translate my name so I know which side I am playing. It could be Microsoft, the game also backs up automatically in the cloud. If this was not enabled, my PC possibly wouldn't let it save without a back-up. If it was BF everybody could have the same problem. Just my opinion Kind regards

Well, it is not a Microsoft problem, since all my other CM games still enable me to save while overwriting a previous save.

And I actually consider it a relatively big problem that I no longer am able to save a game in the way I have been used to for more than 10 years. Especially, since there is no warning or other indication that something is wrong: You simply lose whatever progress you have made if you forget to rename the file.

A lesser problem is that when you always have to rename the save file, you end up with many more save files cluttering up your hard drive.

2 minutes ago, umlaut said:

A lesser problem is that when you always have to rename the save file, you end up with many more save files cluttering up your hard drive.

That is exactly what is happening automatically. I save for example Seelow, next time I save Seelow it becomes Seelow2 the time after that Seelow3. Once I delete them from my list of saved games the PC also deletes them and so does 1Drive. Sorry my games were never saved in the manner that you just described. Kind regards.