An early experience with the M47 Dragon in CMCW

1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

Yup. I think a lot of people are going to find the Dragon to be better than they assumed based on anecdotal evidence. It has its flaws for sure, but it is not the complete disaster that its reputation would have you believe. 

I think people also forget that MBTs aren't the only enemy AFV on the battlefield.  The Dragon is pretty handy for getting after BMPs.

36 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

I think people also forget that MBTs aren't the only enemy AFV on the battlefield.  The Dragon is pretty handy for getting after BMPs.

Completely agree.

23 minutes ago, Ivanov said:

Here's an Iraqi T-72 hit in the turret by Dragon. There was no penetration. Keep in mind that this was a "monkey" version of T-72.

https://postimg.cc/tZRSVYWs

Sounds right to me. Soviet tank turrets are very well armored, especially during this time period. They are much harder to punch through than the hulls. 

US HEAT warheads at the time were typically penetrating somewhere between 300mm and 430mm, with the TOW ATGM at the top. When the US realized how badly they had underestimated Russian armor protection they quickly fielded the slightly improved ITOW, with TOW2 soon hot on its heels. Dragon got a new warhead boosting penetration by 85% but apparently only the Marines saw that upgrade in the mid-80s. The Army's solution to Shilellagh's lackluster 330mm armor penetration was to scrap all the M60A2s.