AI Setup Question

Can't thank you guys enough!! I just remade the plan and setup zones with all the above in mind and let the AI place the units. It set up perfectly! As I said, it's sinking in, slowly but surely. Going to test the scenario out either tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.

On the points about the setup zone sizes vs. the number of units, after reading your blurb above I tightened some up (for MG's for instance) and loosened others. We'll see if I have the mix right, but I think it's going to go a lot better now. I'll let you know :) . 

Many, many thanks again. Onwards and upwards (be back about 10 minutes after the scenario starts and all the Italians have rushed into the river and drowned. Might be a question or two (?) about that <hehehe>).

45 minutes ago, Pete Wenman said:

That could actually come in handy on occasion.

Indeed! - there's always something to be mined from the "problems". That particular one (AI plan divided between two AI painted areas) could be used for splitting of a random amount of tanks to help an infantry AI Group, or something of the sort. That would need testing, but this is the sort of thing where the creative decisions can be made.

Well, I have a "problem"! The Italians are giving me a run for the money so far 😬. I let the game set up the Italians based on the new AI Setup zones and that worked out very well. Seems as though the programming did alright. The Tac AI is laying a beating on me at times though :(. It sure is a fun scenario so far though. I'll let you know how it comes out... .

I might have missed this so I maybe mention something that turns out to repeat what someone else already has written.

When it's time to do the AI-plans I take screen shots of the 2d map which I in an image editing program, like Microsoft Paint, copy and paste the different screen shots to make into an overlay on which I mark positions of bunkers, heavily fortified areas and such.

I also add the movements for the different AI-groups with times (and sometimes their actions) to help keep track on what they do and when they do it which I find makes it easier to have an overview of the battle.

This 2d map overlay image doesn't always lay properly on the AI plan 2d-map, so I sometimes have to check the AI plan 2d-map so I paint the yellow markings on the correct place.

Edited by BornGinger

Thanks very much for this! That will really help. I've just done my first "real" scenario that could get released (we'll see how the full testing goes) and those plans were fairly basic, and were for the defenders only, thus it wasn't hard to keep track of things. However, when I get into them deeper, this could really help a lot. I have a lot of experience with Photoshop so this will be an easy process for me (and in fact, I sort of did what you described for my TacMap for this scenario). 

Thanks a bunch for this. Much appreciated :) .

2 hours ago, Canuck21 said:

Thanks very much for this! That will really help. I've just done my first "real" scenario that could get released (we'll see how the full testing goes) and those plans were fairly basic, and were for the defenders only, thus it wasn't hard to keep track of things. However, when I get into them deeper, this could really help a lot. I have a lot of experience with Photoshop so this will be an easy process for me (and in fact, I sort of did what you described for my TacMap for this scenario). 

Thanks a bunch for this. Much appreciated :) .

There's nothing wrong with simple and basic plans - I don't think many of my scenarios have anything overly complex in them.  They work and people like them so don't sweat it.