Saved File Not Overriding

I started playing the American campaign yesterday, but found that the game would not override the save file if I used the same file name.  I accidently started with a real-time game, but then switched to turn based.  I played the first mission for about 15 minutes and kept saving with the same file name, but when I reloaded the game, it was back to turn one of my real-time game.

The Game creates tmp-Files in the “Documents\...\Cold War” Folder. I copied the latest tmp File to the “Saved Games” Folder and renamed it from *.tmp to *.bts. So I saved my last planning phase of 2 hours 😅

I hope it helps
Thomas

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2021 at 5:47 PM, rogue189 said:

I started playing the American campaign yesterday, but found that the game would not override the save file if I used the same file name.  I accidently started with a real-time game, but then switched to turn based.  I played the first mission for about 15 minutes and kept saving with the same file name, but when I reloaded the game, it was back to turn one of my real-time game.

Try deleting your save file first via Explorer and then saving under the same name via the game.

FYI: @Monty's Mighty Moustache, @umlaut, @RigTom

On 7/8/2021 at 9:27 PM, IMHO said:

Try deleting your save file first via Explorer and then saving under the same name via the game.

FYI: @Monty's Mighty Moustache, @umlaut, @RigTom

In the biz we call that a workaround. It’s a naff one but I suppose it does work. I for one won’t be using it, I don’t want to have to switch over to the Explorer and delete the save game every time I want to save when it used to handle it for me perfectly well before. 90% of the time I would forget anyway :)

MMM

21 hours ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

In the biz we call that a workaround. It’s a naff one but I suppose it does work.

You don't know anything about me so don't patronize. Next time write in the post you're just venting your anger and not really seeking an advice. So we may duly disregard your creative thought.

3 hours ago, IMHO said:

You don't know anything about me so don't patronize. Next time write in the post you're just venting your anger and not really seeking an advice. So we may duly disregard your creative thought.

Wow, that was not my intention. I was not angry, not even mildly miffed, it’s true what they say about tone being lost when you write on the internet, it was intended to be tongue in cheek but clearly that was lost so apologies.

But I stand by that it’s a rubbish way to have to do things, I’d rather it was patched

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache

2 minutes ago, SergeantSqook said:

I've had a similar issue and running the game .exe as administrator seemed to fix it. Only seems to happen with Fire and Rubble and Cold War so seems to be something with the most recent versions of the game

They should be on the same game engine as all the other titles how though aren’t they (and I genuinely am not sure)? The patch was rolled out a while ago and we had to wait for F&R for Red Thunder to be brought up to the same version but it works on the other games so not sure what is causing it.

I’m not expecting it to be fixed tbh unless it’s a really easy one that as soon as the devs heard about it they thought, “Aaah I know what has caused that”. If it was more of a “how has that happened?” reaction then I don’t see them investing too much time into looking into it as it’s hardly game-breaking and isn’t affecting too many of us.

You never know though, so fingers crossed. 

MMM

4 minutes ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

They should be on the same game engine as all the other titles how though aren’t they (and I genuinely am not sure)?

There are some minor differences with RT and CW compared to the others, the pause/play button on the UI now lights up either symbol depending on whether the game is paused or playing, tabbing out seems to work a little different from the others (my example being that if I hit end turn on one of the "older" games, when I tab back in it'll be paused at the start of the turn replay, but on RT or CW, it will have started playing the turn out) and the needing to run as admin to overwrite saves are what I've noticed so far.

I expect the former is minor enough to not be worth a patch for the other games and the latter probably unintended quirks of some update.

8 hours ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

it’s true what they say about tone being lost when you write on the internet, it was intended to be tongue in cheek but clearly that was lost so apologies.

That's why smileys were invented :) Apologies on my side for this misunderstanding. Let's leave it as lost in translation :) 

• 4 months later...
On 7/12/2021 at 4:21 AM, IMHO said:

How insecure are you to somehow think this is a personal attack ? Go out and talk to people once in a while, goddam.

Talk about venting your anger...

On 5/1/2021 at 4:47 PM, rogue189 said:

Had the same problem with the Steam edition of CMBS and that's the best answer I got in the picture.

Best thing to do is create a ticket reporting the issue here : https://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com

The more times it shows up on the helpdesk, the more widespread it looks to the devs. They wont fix it if they dont know about it or think its not prevalent enough.

Ive made a ticket abotu it some times ago but will make a new one again with the new info collected, good luck.

image.png

On 7/11/2021 at 10:21 PM, IMHO said:

Decaf man.   It's just as tasty as the real thing.   His ire was obviously not directed at you personally.    

41 minutes ago, Shepherd74 said:

Decaf man.   It's just as tasty as the real thing.   His ire was obviously not directed at you personally.    

Why comment an answer that's mere 4 months old? My account here is more than 21 years old (no joke) - you can find some real vintage ones! ;) :)

The ox is slow and the earth is patient.   Please accept my apology Senior Member Humble Opinion.  In my zeal to research my own vexing save issue with Cold War I neglected to check the time stamps of this thread.  Sadly I think my brain has become addled in my old age.  Four months later and Battlefront is telling me they have never heard of this issue.