Combat Mission Cold War is now available

BFCElvis

On 5/4/2021 at 1:21 AM, John Kettler said:

Have been on Macs from way back to the CMBO Beta Demo and am also grateful BFC still does Mac versions, since so many things are PC only. Sadly, some of the outside developer BFC products weren't, such as TOW, CMA, T-72.  Meanwhile, disaster has again struck! Have screenshot, but here's the error message.

The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error-1.)
Couldn't open "CMCW Mac v100 Installer .pkg".

Have been up all night and am going to bed. Perhaps while I'm asleep someone will post some insights on why this is happening?

Regards,

John Kettler

John Kettler or anyone else.   I am getting the same error on my Mac trying to install CMFI.  (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error-1.).  Did you work out how to fix it?   I am downloading another .pkg file just in case the original got corrupted on the first download.  I am hoping this will work.

This error message has come up before and the issue was that the user downloaded the installer using Firefox. If you download using Safari, the installer pkg file should work normally.

If that's NOT your issue, then please post here again and us Mac guys will try to figure it out.

Dave

PS - Incidentally, I have no idea WHY this is the case, but it seems to work.

Edited by Ultradave

Thanks gents,  

I have worked out why this error pops up.  (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error-1.) It should say "Your .pkg file is corrupted or not complete and the install will not work."   Even though Safari created a .pkg file it was only 4.5GB in size, which I didn't not check.  I tried again to download with Safari and for some reason the file download hanged.   Never mind I used the Brave browser instead and  the .pkg file downloaded just right the first time at 8.15GB.   

Also I did this tweak to the security settings before I started the Brave browser download as well.   After I activated my product and ran the game once I reverted the tweak and set the security settings back to normal.  All done!  Happy.

Cheers Ben

Edited by Benlore

• 4 months later...
On 6/6/2021 at 4:24 PM, The_Capt said:

Yes. It was decided that the Demo would have the same PBEM functionality as the final wide release (which makes sense) so it is going to have to wait until that whole add-on is incorporated.  Short answer is we are looking at Steam release or shortly there after...

Cold War is finally on Steam. Is that PBEM functionality mentioned above incorporated with the Steam release so the demo can be put up for download or is there another couple of months 'til then?

6 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

Cold War is finally on Steam. Is that PBEM functionality mentioned above incorporated with the Steam release so the demo can be put up for download or is there another couple of months 'til then?

Funny you should mention it.  We have chosen the demos and have pushed to higher HQ.  Timeline to putting them out?  I will ask.

• 1 month later...

Updated Cold War (early February) - this extends the newly implemented PBEM++ system to include Slitherine's automated Tournament system.  Yup, you can now play for fame, glory, and at times fabulous prizes in a structured environment! 

In the thread about 2022 Steven mentioned the text above. So I figure the demo to Cold War will have to wait until February or March. When the demo finally is up for download it will have been a very long time to wait for it.

• 2 months later...

Don't think this is new thread worthy, but I discovered something, something deep. Not sure how deep it goes, but anyway: Why are the only 40 tanks in Tank Battalion 41?

A separate question is: what is the "Reserve <something>" formations? They do not seem to fit the role of the "Independent (Tank)" battalions and they seem to contain the oldest equipment. Is "reserve" to be understood from a logistical standpoint and not a tactical one?

Usually these questions are answered in the Formations chapter in the manual (like CMBS) but CMCW manual does not have such a section.