Combat Mission Cold War is now available

BFCElvis

Am having huge issues with the Mac DL. My internet here works fine, including streaming with no issues, and my iMac restarted faster than in ages, but that DL barely starts and moves glacially if at all. One finally did fully DL but then the installer wouldn't open! Am on my fourth or fifth try. Not one of the previous DLs for a CM game has ever been like this. Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone had an issue with the Mac DL and/or install? If it's not that, then I think there might be a server issue, for everything seems to work here that's not the CMCW DL.

Regards,

John Kettler

On 5/1/2021 at 10:37 AM, midnight.mangler said:

One question though. I see I can buy a Mac version from battlefront....

I hearted this because it reminded me to say how happy I am I was able to have a Mac version of the game. It makes a huge difference to me -- I'm surrounded by Macs anyway, no PCs of any decent gaming spec. Very grateful, as a Mac gamer, for Battlefront's work.

1 hour ago, CaptainTheDark said:

I hearted this because it reminded me to say how happy I am I was able to have a Mac version of the game. It makes a huge difference to me -- I'm surrounded by Macs anyway, no PCs of any decent gaming spec. Very grateful, as a Mac gamer, for Battlefront's work.

Yes, it was a sad day when Apple Rosetta support ended and I could no longer play any CM1 titles. Having Mac versions of each CM2 has been great and all run perfectly well on my 13" MacBook Pro that does not have a dedicated graphics card. There are also several of us Mac people on the beta team.

Dave

Have been on Macs from way back to the CMBO Beta Demo and am also grateful BFC still does Mac versions, since so many things are PC only. Sadly, some of the outside developer BFC products weren't, such as TOW, CMA, T-72.  Meanwhile, disaster has again struck! Have screenshot, but here's the error message.

The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error-1.)
Couldn't open "CMCW Mac v100 Installer .pkg".

Have been up all night and am going to bed. Perhaps while I'm asleep someone will post some insights on why this is happening?

Regards,

John Kettler

@John Kettler  For the Mac version, try this if you haven't already. The Mac approved developer check can take a LOOOONG time to run before it comes up with the message about not being able to check for malicious software (which you then have to override in security preferences). And I mean long. I've mistakenly given up on them because they took so long. It's especially bad for large installers like these.

Right click on the installer .pkg file and select Open. That will bypass that message and you will eventually get a message that just asks if you want to Open or Cancel. Emphasis on eventually. It can take minutes for these large installer during which time it appears that it is doing nothing. You have to select Open because Cancel is the default (blue highlighted) button.

Then you should get the familiar Mac installer screens, which progress quickly. Then same thing when you start the program the first time. Right click and select Open from the popup menu and things will go more smoothly. 

After the first time it's fine. The game will start up and shut down very fast (couple seconds at most depending on how new your hardware is - yours should be pretty much instant).

I can assure you the Mac installers work. There are several Mac users on the beta teams and we beat on the Mac versions 🙂

Feel free to PM me if you still have problems. I, like you am a Mac user from way before the days of even CMBO. I'm pretty good at poking around in the guts of a Mac (software wise anyway).

Dave

Ultradave,

Thanks! Am doing as you describe right now, waiting for it to do anything following the initial Open. What I don't understand is why this DL is such a problem child when, for example, there was nothing like this for CMFB or CMBS? Was there some fundamental change that created this situation?

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

By any chance is the user you use to log in not an Admin user? Do you have separate users on your Mac - one as admin, the other for "normal" use. That's when that error can pop up. Which would also mean that it might just exit if you don't get that.

Second possibility. Installer package could be a bad download and it can't verify it. Have you tried a fresh download.

At some point early in beta development I believe I got that message and it was because the Mac installer was not ready for prime time yet I think. Can't remember now which title that happened on. Been a while.

Dave

47 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Ultradave,

The BFC requires me to use my email for my Username, but I use my name for the Forums, so there shouldn't be the issue you described. Shall try again on the DL. It'll be either the fifth or sixth attempt.

Regards,

John Kettler

No, sorry. I meant login to your iMac.

15 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Ultradave,

The BFC requires me to use my email for my Username, but I use my name for the Forums, so there shouldn't be the issue you described. Shall try again on the DL. It'll be either the fifth or sixth attempt.

Regards,

John Kettler

No, it does not have to be your email. Mine has been Elvis for the store since it first opened. Drop me a ticket on the Help Desk and let me know what you want the user name to be and I'll change it for you.

36 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Was the original delayed?  Glass half full and all that ...

You speak like a delay never happened with a CM product before. It is a possibility, that's all.

Edited by Bufo

Finally got my first quick mission done last night after installing on release day and being kept busy over the bank holiday by the missus and some backpacking. Big congratulations and thanks to all involved, the immersion and attention to detail is incredible! 

On 5/3/2021 at 6:49 PM, John Kettler said:

Ultradave,

It didn't so much as twitch, let alone open the message you stated. Had an almost 20 minute conversation and srtill nothing! Am trying again as I write this.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

Did you get this sorted?

Dave

On 5/2/2021 at 6:58 AM, BFCElvis said:

Of course it needs to be updated. A million things were going on Friday. That isn't really what anyone is questioning. There is a big difference between "hey guys. A heads up , the sales page should be updated" and  "Does it take that much effort to change this? " I think that is what drew the attention of some people. But you do you, bro. 

What drew my attention was the fact that it always takes so long on this site to update these things.  So, I will do me...bro.  As you can see from my low post count in 21+ years, I don't spend all day on here like many do and use the home page to get my news.

Edited by aleader