Combat Mission Cold War is now available

BFCElvis

18 minutes ago, midnight.mangler said:

My experience as someone who has a windows pc and a small and light Mac for travel, is that you can see directly from the steam page if it is cross platform - it will show both a windows and OS X symbol. In that case I can buy the game and install it on my pc and my Mac. If it shows the windows icon only, it means there is no Mac version deployed on steam.

As all the recent combat mission titles on steam only seem to be on the windows platform, I would guess when you send keys to Slitherine the resulting steam keys deploy only the windows version (irrespective of whether the original battlefront keys were OS X or windows). As a person with both platforms, I like being able to install it on either platform, so I asked the question. If indeed steam is windows only, I’ll buy it anyway as I have a windows platform. But it’s a nice to have - and some people may assume they will be able to access a Mac version on steam, so probably good to be sure.

Neither BFC keys nor Steam keys are platform specific. While BFC asks you which platform you buy for that is just for show'n'statistics. The key and files you get give you the choice between Mac and Windows regardless of what you picked.

Obviously it is academic that Steam keys are universal while Matrix only pushes Windows to Steam.

1 hour ago, sburke said:

Man this is a tough crowd Elvis.  Get to work slacker!  :D  

Yeah, I was kinda surpised by that one. One person contacted me about it and said he was going to make it his new sig line. I don't think that he did though. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Redwolf said:

Neither BFC keys nor Steam keys are platform specific. While BFC asks you which platform you buy for that is just for show'n'statistics. The key and files you get give you the choice between Mac and Windows regardless of what you picked.

Obviously it is academic that Steam keys are universal while Matrix only pushes Windows to Stea

All I really wanted to know is if I will be able to install the game I buy from battlefront onto my Mac through the steam platform. I now understand I can’t. Thanks for clarifying.  Cheers!

10 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Yes. A Battlefront purchase will also get you Steam access at no additional charge. Heck, I've already sent them the Battlefront keys to make this happen. 

Question about that; it appears that Slitherine has already reserved a slot for CMCW on it's game registration drop down for their User Account page.  Battlefront provides a game "Activation Code" but to register a game with Slitherine requires a "Serial Number" and to activate a game on Steam requires a "Steam Key".   We get our Battlefront activation code from our Battlefront Store login page; it shows up on "My Orders" in our completed orders.  Who/where will Serial Number and Steam Keys be provided?

Thanks!

image.png.55ddbd8b983103af11e55ad8c223f194.png

Edited by Badger73

27 minutes ago, Badger73 said:

Question about that; it appears that Slitherine has already reserved a slot for CMCW on it's game registration drop down for their User Account page.  Battlefront provides a game "Activation Code" but to register a game with Slitherine requires a "Serial Number" and to activate a game on Steam requires a "Steam Key".   We get our Battlefront activation code from our Battlefront Store login page; it shows up on "My Orders" in our completed orders.  Who/where will Serial Number and Steam Keys be provided?

Thanks!

image.png.55ddbd8b983103af11e55ad8c223f194.png

The serial number they are referring to is your Battlefront activation key. When you enter your Battlefront key in that field it will generate a Steam key. And that is what you use to get the Steam version.

However, DO NOT do this now. They are not yet fully set up for it. When they announce that Cold War is available on Steam is when you should use your Battlefront key to get your Steam key. I have no idea what happens if you try it now. It probably just gives a message saying invalid key or somefink....Whatever it does I would recommend staying away from it until it's ready.

2 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

The serial number they are referring to is your Battlefront activation key. When you enter your Battlefront key in that field it will generate a Steam key. And that is what you use to get the Steam version.

However, DO NOT do this now. They are not yet fully set up for it. When they announce that Cold War is available on Steam is when you should use your Battlefront key to get your Steam key. I have no idea what happens if you try it now. It probably just gives a message saying invalid key or somefink....Whatever it does I would recommend staying away from it until it's ready.

Understood.  Thank you.

Currently, you just get an "Invalid Serial Number" message.  No other harm donel

11 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Yeah, I was kinda surpised by that one. One person contacted me about it and said he was going to make it his new sig line. I don't think that he did though. 🙂 

Uh, I don't think it's that unusual when you're selling something to accurately display the availability of the product on the homepage, and especially the product page?  I don't think I ever see it anywhere but this site.  I do realize however that this is the 1950's bizarro world where websites and marketing don't seem to matter...😉

Edited by aleader

8 hours ago, aleader said:

Uh, I don't think it's that unusual when you're selling something to accurately display the availability of the product on the homepage, and especially the product page?  I don't think I ever see it anywhere but this site.  I do realize however that this is the 1950's bizarro world where websites and marketing don't seem to matter...😉

Of course it needs to be updated. A million things were going on Friday. That isn't really what anyone is questioning. There is a big difference between "hey guys. A heads up , the sales page should be updated" and  "Does it take that much effort to change this? " I think that is what drew the attention of some people. But you do you, bro. 

3 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Of course it needs to be updated. A million things were going on Friday. That isn't really what anyone is questioning. There is a big difference between "hey guys. A heads up , the sales page should be updated" and  "Does it take that much effort to change this? " I think that is what drew the attention of some people. But you do you, bro. 

IMO @BFCElvis was too busy herding us beta testers around 1) collecting and submitting bug reports for CW, 2) collecting and submitting bug reports for FR, 3) getting us to check the FR patch prior to release (yes, I broke it for the Mac. Well, actually it was broken and I found it). 

All to get out two patches absolutely as fast as possible. The beta testers herd themselves pretty well (reasonably well?) (Maybe?) (Sometimes?) but someone has to direct traffic.

Whole lotta stuff went on behind the curtain the last several days.

Dave

23 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

IMO @BFCElvis was too busy herding us beta testers around 1) collecting and submitting bug reports for CW, 2) collecting and submitting bug reports for FR, 3) getting us to check the FR patch prior to release (yes, I broke it for the Mac. Well, actually it was broken and I found it). 

All to get out two patches absolutely as fast as possible. The beta testers herd themselves pretty well (reasonably well?) (Maybe?) (Sometimes?) but someone has to direct traffic.

Whole lotta stuff went on behind the curtain the last several days.

Dave

Speak for yourself, I, for one, was always focused and on tas... Wait... Oooh, shiny

Edited by ng cavscout

Am unclear on how to proceed. Paid for the pre-order and the DVD. Received invoice showing entire order details and that DVD had shipped. Got Activation Key in that invoice. Now, what to I do to download? Am exceedingly rusty on this score. From what I can see from the page called Games, then the CMCW one, looks to me as though it's just a regular order page. Must be missing something in terms of procedure. Thanks!

Regards,

John Ketller

Edited by John Kettler

12 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Am unclear on how to proceed. Paid for the pre-order and the DVD. Received invoice showing entire order details and that DVD had shipped. Got Activation Key in that invoice. Now, what to I do to download? Am exceedingly rusty on this score. From what I can see from the page called Games, then the CMCW one, looks to me as though it's just a regular order page. Must be missing something in terms of procedure. Thanks!

Regards,

John Ketller

22 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

Am in, but my order shows as PROCESS. What now?

Regards,

John Kettler

Yes, it will be in Process until the physical items are shipped. You should have gotten and email with the download link. If you don't see it check your spam folder..

27 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Yes, it will be in Process until the physical items are shipped. You should have gotten and email with the download link. If you don't see it check your spam folder..

Thanks for the tip. The email with the link was indeed in Spam. DL is watching the glacier vanish over the next hill! Don't know how much is BFC server getting hammered and how much is overall internet, in which FB barely works at all. 

All,

Can someone tell me, please, why the Mac DL is 3 GB and the Windows 2 GB? Microsoft has long been notorious for writing fat code and Apple not, so what gives?

Regards,

John Kettler

Just now, John Kettler said:

Can someone tell me, please, why the Mac DL is 3 GB and the Windows 2 GB? Microsoft has long been notorious for writing fat code and Apple not, so what gives?

The Windows installer uses a more modern compression algorithm that does a better job on pictures than the ones in the Mac installer.