Combat Mission Cold War is now available

BFCElvis

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Combat Mission Cold War, the game they said that we'd never make is now available for sale and immediate download. Click here for all of the details.

Why does it still show pre-order on the home and product page?  Does it take that much effort to change this?  

26 minutes ago, aleader said:

Why does it still show pre-order on the home and product page?  Does it take that much effort to change this?  

No, it doesn't. But we're juggling a lot of balls here. All things in time. Making sure that everyone is up and running is a higher priority. 🙂 

13 minutes ago, RescueToaster said:

Thanks for the hard work getting this out, guys. I've done a few years of QA work (with Activision .. bleh) and know how that 'crunch' time feels before/after a release

This will be my first CM game in about 18 years after rediscovering the series, so wish me luck!

Good luck! Welcome back! The game is a blast. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a while.

Just to get a flavour for the game I loaded the biggest free standing battle, Rumpenheim Rumpus.  I didn't change any of the dispositions, as I was just planning to play the first turn or two as the US forces, and watch the show.  Three hours later.....  Great scenario, and easy to play as the Americans.  Nice job guys!

Edited by Majick

17 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Combat Mission Cold War, the game they said that we'd never make is now available for sale and immediate download. Click here for all of the details.

On Matrix site it says that the game will be available in June. Has it changed? When will it be available on Steam? I want to buy it on Steam to avoid the hustle with the updates. 

5 minutes ago, Ivanov said:

On Matrix site it says that the game will be available in June. Has it changed? When will it be available on Steam? I want to buy it on Steam to avoid the hustle with the updates. 

If you buy it now you will be able to get a Steam key through Slitherine once it is released on Steam.  At least, thats been the case with all the other titles that have found their way to Steam so far.

1 minute ago, Majick said:

If you buy it now you will be able to get a Steam key through Slitherine once it is released on Steam.  At least, thats been the case with all the other titles that have found their way to Steam so far.

Yep, I hope it will be the case. Let's wait for an official confirmation from the Battlefront Central Committee 🚩

17 minutes ago, Ivanov said:

Yep, I hope it will be the case. Let's wait for an official confirmation from the Battlefront Central Committee 🚩

Yes. A Battlefront purchase will also get you Steam access at no additional charge. Heck, I've already sent them the Battlefront keys to make this happen. 

1 hour ago, Ivanov said:

Updates with BFC are much improved, though. You never have to patch anymore, you just download a new complete install from your user account on battlefront.com. Patches exist, but are for those who need to be saving download bandwidth.

Edited by Redwolf

3 minutes ago, midnight.mangler said:

One question though. I see I can buy a Mac version from battlefront - but on steam it only shows the windows version. Therefore I infer that only people who buy the windows version are eligible for a steam key - correct?

If so, it should probably be made explicit somewhere.

Excellent question...And this answer will show some of my ignorance about Steam. All Battlefront keys, regardless of platform are sent to Slitherine. So, if you buy a Mac version of the game then you will be able to get a Steam key. But I thought the Steam version of the game was Windows only. Or are Steam games somehow multiplatform when run through Steam? I really don't know.

17 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Or are Steam games somehow multiplatform when run through Steam

They can be, but its still two OS versions "under the hood" that would need be installed and downloaded separately. They do share a Steam key, however - which is appreciated by people with both operating systems. One purchase.

The BFC CM games that Slitherine does production for on Steam are currently Windows only (as far as the compatibility icon goes on Steam, at least).

37 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Excellent question...And this answer will show some of my ignorance about Steam. All Battlefront keys, regardless of platform are sent to Slitherine. So, if you buy a Mac version of the game then you will be able to get a Steam key. But I thought the Steam version of the game was Windows only. Or are Steam games somehow multiplatform when run through Steam? I really don't know.

My experience as someone who has a windows pc and a small and light Mac for travel, is that you can see directly from the steam page if it is cross platform - it will show both a windows and OS X symbol. In that case I can buy the game and install it on my pc and my Mac. If it shows the windows icon only, it means there is no Mac version deployed on steam.

As all the recent combat mission titles on steam only seem to be on the windows platform, I would guess when you send keys to Slitherine the resulting steam keys deploy only the windows version (irrespective of whether the original battlefront keys were OS X or windows). As a person with both platforms, I like being able to install it on either platform, so I asked the question. If indeed steam is windows only, I’ll buy it anyway as I have a windows platform. But it’s a nice to have - and some people may assume they will be able to access a Mac version on steam, so probably good to be sure.

Edited by midnight.mangler
Typo