CMCW Unofficial Screenshot And Video Thread

Lethaface

3 minutes ago, Pete Wenman said:

That's very kind, but kudos to all the usual suspects who also contributed. I'm only responsible for the US campaign maps and two scenario maps. Plenty of good stuff all round.

P

I've only had a chance to play with Killing Time at Kirtorf in detail so far and am having a blast. Everyone has done an amazing job and deserves all of the kudos. I'd like to say it feels like we've come a long way, every CM title has better and better maps. (Plus, I'm a sucker for really big maps)

elHHIXU.png

5 minutes ago, HerrTom said:

I've only had a chance to play with Killing Time at Kirtorf

yep that’s one of mine. I don’t think it took too long for us to realise that Cold War combined arms  would require larger maps in order to get a real feel for the peer to peer all arms combat. 

Great to hear you are enjoying it

P

15 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

That's the AI taking out one of my M-60A3 TTS. In CMSF2 I've never actually see these vehicles make a successful battlefield kill. It didn't survive for long though, obviously.

1698980638_CombatMissionColdWarScreenshot2021_04.30-18_50_08_98.thumb.png.0505562fc9a6c045c215211a6574e83c.png

1355379478_CombatMissionColdWarScreenshot2021_04.30-18_49_57_93.thumb.png.39bb74f8d360c6aeb0923d9b4f257c29.png

I also have had some luck with these.  I suspect this has to do with fighting on longer ranged maps.  They are good in a team but they cannot spot well.  

Edited by SpitfireXI

33 minutes ago, HerrTom said:

Trying to replicate that old Kodachrome look. Not quite there yet.  Props to @Pete Wenman for honestly the best maps I've seen in CM to-date!  It's a lot of fun to play missions that aren't always knife fights in a phone booth.

Absolutely! And the maps are very accurately built, if you compare the places to their real counterparts with Google Maps. 

23 minutes ago, Almac said:

on average, how big are the maps? Is there a lot of infantry battles? 

I'd appreciate any insight. I'm on the fence about buying this but am leaning more and more towards purchasing it. 

Typically they are combined arms battles of some variation. There are places where the infantry will dismount and move/fight on foot (example - clearing a farm buildings or small hamlet). I can think of one scenario in the US campaign you might hit where it's mostly night infantry fighting. There are some M113s but they are best used as .50cal MG emplacements, not moving around.

In most scenarios, whether individual, or campaigns, you are going to have a mix of units, usually a US ompany team or Bn task force(-). Russian motorized rifle battalion or tank battalion or both (team type with a mix). I have found occasions to dismount a lot of my infantry with all the Dragons and LAWs they can carry to try to stop the approaching hordes. 🙂

Hope that helps some.

Dave

6 minutes ago, Almac said:

Hey Dave,

That is great, thank you. I appreciate the insight! It sounds like a title that would be a blast to play. 

Thanks! 

You’re welcome. I had a lot of fun in play testing. And I was an Army officer during and after this time period so the subject is near and dear. 

Dave

2 hours ago, Pete Wenman said:

yep that’s one of mine. I don’t think it took too long for us to realise that Cold War combined arms  would require larger maps in order to get a real feel for the peer to peer all arms combat. 

Great to hear you are enjoying it

P

About 250 square kms worth for the US and Soviet campaigns, if I recall.  A lot of very big maps and they are all avail in the Master Maps folder....the really good ones are Pete’s, the less-so are mine.

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

We know the exact introduction date that ERA showed up (for both sides) and its just beyond our timeframe.

Is ok. I searched M60A1 RISE (PASSIVE) - TOE on CM site -  on google images and only showed M60 with ERA, thought it was a thing in this game.

13 minutes ago, Sorcerer117 said:

Is ok. I searched M60A1 RISE (PASSIVE) - TOE on CM site -  on google images and only showed M60 with ERA, thought it was a thing in this game.

USMC version is likely what you saw on Google. Those were in DS1.