Japanese keyboard makes CMSF freeze

KC45.jp

Just as subject name, after the update of windows10 version 20h2, all CM title with Engine4 freezes (in detail: cannot control anything except camera movement) when we use Japanese keyboard setting on windows.

This is fixed when we choose English keyboard setting.

I checked least 3 Japanese player having this trouble and they all fixed in that way.

I assume this is because Japanese keyboard uses Double Byte Character so Combat Mission does not work correctly. 

This may not a high priority problem (because this has solution for now) but could you least announce it on steam or manual if it takes while to fix.

It took long time to find a solution for Japanese community and it is hard to tell all the Japanese player (or perhaps where use Double Byte Character) by me and other members who know this problem.

Thanks.

I suspect all of the CM games may have this problem. In the past there were some translations of the original CMSF game, but those were European languages with single byte characters. I'm not aware of any attempt to get the CM games to run with multi-byte keyboards. IF it is to happen at some point in the future, I would guess that it would end up being part of an engine upgrade. The 2D screens utilize Qt, which could probably be fairly quickly modified for support. But the main 3D portion of the game is a more proprietary environment when it comes to input and character support (at least probably some older APIs that may not have a lot of current development) and I don't know what it would take to get multi-byte input support within that.

So for now I would guess that the English keyboard selection within Windows will probably be the only available workaround. Mentioning this on Steam may take a little while since it is probably Matrix/Slitherine that is responsible for the information content that appears there.

Edited by Schrullenhaft