FINALLY,As I said yesterday , I made a mod of the Russian greatcoat!!!!!

1. According to some history photo, movies and Osprey picture, I shortened the russian greatcoat ,by adding alpha channel in Photoshop, covering the longer part, and then saving it as a 32-bit BMP file.
2. The strap and medal of the satchel and the badge of the guards are added.
3. Diversified the types of uniform, each type has 4 kinds of officer coat, 5 kinds of sergeant coat and 9 kinds of soldier coat.
4. I tried all kinds of normal maps, trying to increase the three-dimensional sense of the texture when the player turns on shader, but there are no effect. I don't know if it's my file name problem, because I've tried the new and old file name formats, and it's useless. So this time there is no normal map file in the brz package.
5.Finally, the most important point!!!!! I used the belts, medals and other materials from the former Soviet summer uniform mod. If this is not the official product, but the original work of a former mod maker, please tell me, I will delete this post, because it is an infringement.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IDa4xC8MeqxAbB9TmiWQ_CVUJRQTFNe8/view?usp=sharing

army

r01TNO3.jpg

guards

WAMU3O1.jpg

cavarly

vyaFlah.jpg

25 minutes ago, t34577685 said:

By the way, mod doesn't include leggings

Very nice job, I see now you will no more play so much with  your "toy soldier", but more pay attention and keep them dressed like you want, so you drink already the famous blood of mods ! 😉

With long coat and legging, we are slowly in the early war, put in a french, belgian, danish or what ever helmets, and we are on it !

But for the time I let you enjoy the FR module !😇

JM

I remember years ago working on a telogreika mod and taking the time to make the normal map. But then in 2015 I am in the Soviet files and see no normal maps for Soviet uniforms. My "modder's eye" at the time was very inexperienced. I probably did not notice if it took effect or not in the game after I made "new ones".

Now you are making normal maps or editing them and seem to not have any impact. That is real weird. @benpark The original CMRT brz folder v100a had Soviet uniforms but seemed to have not many normal maps, just for headgear, none for M43 uniforms and tank coveralls.

Now CMRT F&R brz folder v210d DOES have normal maps for the set of Soviet uniforms...

Is something turned OFF in the game that Soviet soldier skeletons don't utilize normal maps?

3 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

t34...If you have time, please make a dramatic test with a normal map for all greatcoat file slots 0,1,2,etc. that has big bumps or dents and show the results.

I name file:

"smod_soviet_greatcoat_soldier_uniform.bmp"

"smod_soviet_greatcoat_soldier_uniform_normal map.bmp"

"smod_soviet_greatcoat_soldier_uniform 2.bmp"

"smod_soviet_greatcoat_soldier_uniform 2_normal map.bmp"  ETC

I drew the perspective very close, and then chose the sunny day, with the characters facing the sun.

It is found that there is a very little little change in the shader texture.

Now the doubts are as follows:

1. I use Photoshop to generate a 32-bit normal map with alpha channel, but when I turn on the shader, the added medals and Knapsack strap have no texture change. And I also used ps to made a new “SMOD_ soviet_ greatcoat_ soldier_ uniform_Normal map. BMP", but obviously this doesn't work, because my file contains a normal map with Knapsack strap texture. If all the 18 greatcoat(don't contain tag)files which in my mod call this "SMOD_ soviet_ greatcoat_ soldier_ uniform_Normal map. BMP", can the system only adapt to 24 bit normal map? So the system automatically identifies the official "SMOD_ soviet_ greatcoat_ soldier_ uniform_ normal map.bmp“,not my?

2. This DLC ,BFC added many normal maps of M43 uniform, but I found that his file name format is "SMOD"_ soviet_ m43_ soldier_ uniform_ Normal map 4 ", and my mod in the Z folder uses the file name format of" SMOD "_ soviet_ m43_ soldier_ uniform 4_Normal map" .I've tested it in the game, and it's obvious that the file name format used by mod is working. Is the order of official file names wrong? Similarly, there are errors in the texture file name with tag, which I mentioned in the bug summary post.

Well, my English is so bad that I don't feel like I speak it clearly.

2 minutes ago, t34577685 said:

I name file:

"smod_soviet_greatcoat_soldier_uniform.bmp"

"smod_soviet_greatcoat_soldier_uniform_normal map.bmp"

"smod_soviet_greatcoat_soldier_uniform 2.bmp"

"smod_soviet_greatcoat_soldier_uniform 2_normal map.bmp"  ETC

I drew the perspective very close, and then chose the sunny day, with the characters facing the sun.

It is found that there is a very little little change in the shader texture.

Now the doubts are as follows:

1. I use Photoshop to generate a 32-bit normal map with alpha channel, but when I turn on the shader, the added medals and Knapsack strap have no texture change. And I also used ps to made a new “SMOD_ soviet_ greatcoat_ soldier_ uniform_Normal map. BMP", but obviously this doesn't work, because my file contains a normal map with Knapsack strap texture. If all the 18 greatcoat(don't contain tag)files which in my mod call this "SMOD_ soviet_ greatcoat_ soldier_ uniform_Normal map. BMP", can the system only adapt to 24 bit normal map? So the system automatically identifies the official "SMOD_ soviet_ greatcoat_ soldier_ uniform_ normal map.bmp“,not my?

2. This DLC ,BFC added many normal maps of M43 uniform, but I found that his file name format is "SMOD"_ soviet_ m43_ soldier_ uniform_ Normal map 4 ", and my mod in the Z folder uses the file name format of" SMOD "_ soviet_ m43_ soldier_ uniform 4_Normal map" .I've tested it in the game, and it's obvious that the file name format used by mod is working. Is the order of official file names wrong? Similarly, there are errors in the texture file name with tag, which I mentioned in the bug summary post.

Well, my English is so bad that I don't feel like I speak it clearly.

Hi Wang. Thanks for doing the test. Your English is AOK! I am following what you said. But I am at work and will look deeper later today. I will report later what I think. 🙂

Hi Wang, your English is fine by me. I have noticed textures disappearing in other, older mods in CMx2 games when shakers are turned on (or off?).  Since 32bit is the only possible way to get an alpha channel (3 bits—colors R/B/G—per pixel, and plus one for the alpha, on the 8 pixel images, I don’t know what or how to get around this problem.

Your numbering for the normal map “should” be correct; the number before “_normal map”. Must be a goof on BFC’s part. 

6 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Hi Wang. Thanks for doing the test. Your English is AOK! I am following what you said. But I am at work and will look deeper later today. I will report later what I think. 🙂

You are welcome. look forward to your further research

4 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Since 32bit is the only possible way to get an alpha channel (3 bits—colors R/B/G—per pixel, and plus one for the alpha, on the 8 pixel images, I don’t know what or how to get around this problem.

thank you,AND I'm going to rest for some days and then continue work on this. After FR comes out, I haven't had a good time(Work during the day, but at night  can't resist changing uniform), the cold war is coming out, and I'm going to have a good time.

My quick analysis is that 

a. yes, Soviet normal maps ARE working in the game for a test on the NCO greatcoat.

I used a CRAZY normal map for Soviet NCO greatcoat

TuMgOq9.png

Here is what I saw in the game

Dm0qVWB.png

On his shovel tool where the black metal meets the wooden handle, you can see a somewhat depressed region.

I think it is just very subtle. If you want the medals and belts or buttons to really POP out, then I guess crank up the normal maps somehow.