Cold War Release Date Pool

Probus

I have a strong gut feeling that's saying (err, gurgling?) 'Thursday' the 29th.  And my gut is right all of the time, about half the time! 🙂

1 hour ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Correct.

We need to do away with standard time. No reason for light at 5am and darkness at dinner time.

Here, here!

I've always been told we do it because it helped farmers. As much as I respect American farmers, why can't they just wake up at a different time and work with the light instead of altering time itself (for everyone) just to help farmers get 1 more hour in? I realize that a huge portion of the country used to be farmers in the past (~90% in the 1800's, ~40% in the 1900), but it's something like only 1.3% of the population today. Also, light and electricity tech / capability has come a long way since then.

Now, if it's not for farmers I'm going to feel a tad foolish, but I'd love to know the truth if I am wrong!

Actually it's the opposite.  Farmers prefer that there is no savings time.  Agricultural states like .... I think Indiana .... don't have daylight savings time because they have to milk the cows at the same time everyday or something like that.  Anyway, not every State in the US observes daylight savings time.  I seem to recall that the reason for daylight savings time was to allow more daylight for people to go shopping or something like that.  Just going off the top of my head though so I might not be remembering correctly.

1 hour ago, ASL Veteran said:

Actually it's the opposite.  Farmers prefer that there is no savings time.  Agricultural states like .... I think Indiana .... don't have daylight savings time because they have to milk the cows at the same time everyday or something like that.  Anyway, not every State in the US observes daylight savings time.  I seem to recall that the reason for daylight savings time was to allow more daylight for people to go shopping or something like that.  Just going off the top of my head though so I might not be remembering correctly.

"The farmers" reason was put forward in the past, but that never made sense to me because, well, animals are on the Sun's schedule anyway. I thought it so school kids so won't have to walk to school in the dark, back in the day.  Today of course, hardly any do anyways.

It is a silly thing.

I'm also going to guess April 30th. But that is also academic for me as well since I am about to be playing through all of my CM scenarios and campaigns in chronological order, going back to CMAK and CMBB. So it's going to be a while before I get to the 70's/80's.

As for daylight savings time, my understanding is that it started in Germany in WW1 because someone thought it would save on coal. It doesn't seem to have made any measurable difference, but somehow it managed to catch on and now we're stuck with it.

9 minutes ago, SovietOnion said:

Did they not confirm that they were postponing this until June to get the PBEM multiplayer features working?

For the Steam version, it's June. But if you buy it on Battlefront you'll get access access to it in the next few days / next week, hopefully!

Edited by RescueToaster

On 4/27/2021 at 1:49 PM, ASL Veteran said:

I bet if it was an armor related thing you'd have dug a lot harder.  :D  

4 hours ago, markh said:

Wow - we are cutting it fine!  We are already into the morning of the last day in April here in Australia.  Still hopeful and fingers crossed for an April release - especially with the weekend coming up!

We'll cut 'em some slack and give them midnight... In Alaska.