New Campaign Release! Operation Undergo - Gris Nez

rtdood

Hello, 

Just wanted to let those that might be interested my campaign ‘Operation Undergo -Gris Nez’ has been finally released! It has been uploaded to the scenario depot and its ready to be downloaded (link is below). I have included some information too as to what it is about and basic requirements. 

What do I need: CM:BN, CW, Market Garden and Vehicle Pack.
What forces will I command? 2 Canadian Infantry Battalions, Squadron of Sherman Tanks, 1 Troop of Churchill Crocodile, Petard and Sherman Flails (not all in the same battle do not worry 😉). And a tonne of artillery!  
How is it meant to be played: Player (Canada) vs German AI 
What size battles can I expect? About company strength for the most part. A third of the campaign is set at commanding battalion strength. 
Type of maps: Typically reminiscent of the Calais region. Rolling hills, semi open, semi bocage semi woodland.  
Historical or not: Semi-Historical
How long is it? 10 or 11 battles 
When does it take place: September ’44. 

What do I get with it? 
- Northern Master Map 
- Southern Master Map
- 25 page Campaign Design Booklet PDF including OOB
- Picture of Battalion Company movements (was not able to include this in campaign briefing although it is useful for reference)  
- Campaign Progression Tables (Battle order) 

Has it been tested? Yes. I have only been able to find people that have been in a position to try the first and second battles respectively – everything thereafter I have tested myself. I have gone through it fully about 7 or 8  times now and feel it is at a point for release. 

Those that are familiar with the history of Undergo, particularly at Gris Nez will know roughly what to expect. I should mention this my first campaign that I have designed, and as such it does therefore commit some absolute cardinal sins over what really makes an effective engaging campaign, which I have learned from. That being said, if you want a campaign which follows the actions at Gris Nez as accurately as I could get them, well your about to experience the often-forgotten battles for the coastal garrisons in September of 1944.
And finally…some pictures….  

CM-OUGN-Preview-Picture-Map-1.jpg

Morning.jpg

Radar-Bunker.jpg

Flail-Tank-in-Action.jpg

Crocodile-Flamethrower-in-Action.jpg

Map-View.jpg

Has it put you off from making more campaigns: Absolutely not? Working on the next one already. 

Download link: CMBN CW: Operation Undergo – Gris Nez (thefewgoodmen.com)

Edited by rtdood

3 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

This really needs someone rubbish to lose it very soon, like me. 

The first mission is quite a slog I'll admit and the casualty parameters harsh. Did you try concentrating on just 2 of the objectives or all 3? 

2 hours ago, rtdood said:

The first mission is quite a slog I'll admit and the casualty parameters harsh. Did you try concentrating on just 2 of the objectives or all 3? 

I haven't started yet. I've just read through all your notes and impressed by the details that you've put into them. Once I've rearranged my "z" folder from my last campaign I'll get slaughtered, oops, I meant cracking on with it.

Cheers thank you all for the kind comments :). It was long learning curve with many mistakes along the way but was happy to improve and make a contribution, even if its near 10 years since CM:BN was released lol.  

On 4/27/2021 at 6:28 AM, rtdood said:

Just wanted to let those that might be interested my campaign ‘Operation Undergo -Gris Nez’ has been finally released! It has been uploaded to the scenario depot and its ready to be downloaded (link is below). I have included some information too as to what it is about and basic requirements. 

How long is it? 10 or 11 battles 

What do I get with it? 
- Northern Master Map 
- Southern Master Map
- 25 page Campaign Design Booklet PDF including OOB
- Picture of Battalion Company movements (was not able to include this in campaign briefing although it is useful for reference)  
- Campaign Progression Tables (Battle order) 

Working on the next one already. 

Download link: CMBN CW: Operation Undergo – Gris Nez (thefewgoodmen.com)

+1.  Very cool.  Thank you for making this.  Master maps, PDF booklet, Order of Battle table etc.  And you're working on another one!  You must have an extremely high work ethic, perseverance and motivation to produce something of this magnitude and detail as your vey first campaign.  I suspect many others have attempted something like this as their first campaign and were unable to finish.  Congratulations!!  

This Combat Mission year just keeps getting better.  :D 

On 4/30/2021 at 6:37 AM, Warts 'n' all said:

It always makes me jump when I'm sat watching my infantry walking along and then, BOOM! a Crab triggers some mines. Luckily being a cautious player despite having the Bren Boys out front I still didn't take it for granted that the road behind them would be safe. 

When I did a play-test of this mission a while ago, I was sadly unaware that you had to tell the Crab to flail.  Soon learned that lesson, although it was not a Crab that got hit, but a Crocodile (immobilised with no casualties, but spoilt some of my potential for fun).

Anyway @rtdood has done a great job on this campaign, very thorough piece of work.

Edited by Vacilllator

6 hours ago, Bearstronaut said:

So I don't know what the issue is but after completing the mission 7 "The Rat Catchers" with a total victory the next mission fails to load. It loads up to about 78% and then the game crashes to the desktop.

Oh, no. That sounds very disappointing. I'm still back on Mission 3.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:01 AM, Bearstronaut said:

So I don't know what the issue is but after completing the mission 7 "The Rat Catchers" with a total victory the next mission fails to load. It loads up to about 78% and then the game crashes to the desktop.

Hmm interesting. I've not encountered that problem myself when testing through the entire campaign although CM has been known to crash occasionally when loading scenarios (often for larger scenarios). Sometimes I find quitting the game, rebooting the pc and starting it back up fresh helps. Alternatively might be worth going back to a previous save continuing from that save and see if it then is able to process battle 8. Well done on the total victory though for battle 7.  If you still have problems let me know, and I'll investigate further 👍   

• 2 months later...