ww2 military tactics training - sources requested

sPA505

hello dear wargamers. i have a question: which sources do you use to train yourself regarding military tactics? for me, in comparison with various other military strategy games, combat mission is a deep battlefield simulator where real military tactics lead to the goal i notice more and more that i need to catch up here. in other words: the more i play cm the more i notice that i need to learn more. it's almost like learning to play the guitar. ;)

now i've already tried the search function of the forum and unfortunately didn't find anything suitable what goes beyond what I already know. and i've inhaled the channels of various relevantly known youtubers. besides, i'm very familiar with bil hardenberger's wonderful blog and i've also been following john kettler's cm adventure journey. ;) josey wales, general jack the ripper, jeffrey paulding...i visit them all from time to time. i also indulge in my native youtube channels like "der hobbygeneral", "taktikfuchs", "headbreaker". very educational. so...what exactly am i looking for? written "theoretical basic works", i think. "in the given situation xy the infantry company proceeds like this: ...". something like that. what the handy tiger- and pantherfibel was for the tankmen, there must be something like that for infantry and commanders. but also more detailed, more intensive. "dienstvorschrift" it would be called in german i guess. references to standard works of the various war factions, following the respective military doctrine.

i am grateful for any tip.

You really simply have to play the game a lot and you will start to understand how the AI reacts in certain situations, and how to get what you want from your units, how far you can push em b4 they break etc.  After playing CM2 for 13+ years now, I find that am playing vs the system as much as using RL tactics - sometimes they work, and sometimes... you have to do things differently.  It is a game after all.  

chuckdyke, thanks for this great database link! i will spend a lot of time with this.

Erwin, i think you're right. that's what all cm-letsplayers say. some mechanics of the game i also had to learn to understand - things i thought had to be one way or the other - but the game had a completely different solution, not obvious to me. be it pathfinding, the behavior of the tactical ai when it comes to entering houses, etc.

Combatintman, i'm not pragmatic enough for that. ;)

On 4/28/2021 at 5:52 AM, sPA505 said:

chuckdyke,

@sPA505 if you react on a post just add an @ before a name so that the person gets notified. For a beginner I have one tip. there is lots of confusion about LOS and LOF in the game. People suggest there should be a more effective tool for this. My tip, use a scouting unit to find observation and fire position. Plotting LOS and LOF gives you an idea that is all. The scouting unit is a veteran, and they spot better than a regular unit. If I send an armored unit to that spot it is possible, they don't have a LOS. It needs to be communicated through the command-and-control structure. 

scouts.png