Tactics Help

Oh, and I DO need help 😆!!! Ok, for infantry assaults and tactics, I have a fair idea as to what I'm doing. I do need some advice on how to handle attacks using motorized vehicles though. I'm specifically speaking of the new scenario, "FR Out for a Schwimm", which is the first battle in the new (and really, really excellent - nice job people!!!) Fire and Rubble. I'm playing the Germans and attempting to cross the river in my "Schwimmobile" (my term - sorry :D ). So far I have got really, really good at one aspect of this scenario - getting my guys "somewhat" deceased (I'm thinking of opening my own funeral home, I'm that good 😳). I'm just not sure how to successfully approach this such that my guy has enough covering fire to get across the river (anyone know where I can buy a good used Schwimmobile? Mine seems to have... well, sunk 😔). I've not had much experience with halftracks, bren carriers, light armoured units, etc. in general so any advice on how best to handle them in a situation like this would be really appreciated.

Thanks much for this. Now if you'll excuse me, I think my Kommadant wants a word with me... .

Glenn

Prior to crossing, make sure to establish covering fire for the assault teams /"schwimmmobiles", etc. etc. I would pre plan a smoke bombardment if you can. When first across, pop smoke with lead units that can, to establish bridge head /crossing point even more while area is masked.

Thanks for this, that does help in general and I've taken note of this! Unfortunately for the Germans with this scenario, the halftracks are getting pounded before they get anywhere near the river. There's very little, if any cover approaching the river, and the Partisan forces seem to have AP ammunition at the very least. Also, the only thing that can go across the river is the Schwimmobile. The bridge is out and there is no ford for the halftracks. I'll have to check into the smoke thing though. The HT's may have that. I didn't think to look. Thanks again :) .

Glenn

What worked for me was to set up a base of fire with half of the infantry and tracks on the brow of the ridge.  After establishing fire on the far bank and Identifying soviet positions I moved the rest up behind the tree cover and dismounted  the infantry on the near bank to take the soviets under fire.  Once they had established themselves in the woods I brought the rest forward. The 250/10 was used from the high ground to snipe at the mortar first and then any other spotted units.

This is a fairly basic, gimmicky scenario, but "how to cross a river" is a classic tactical problem.

You can Hull down from the deployment zone, and take it slow. The Russians do have anti-tank rifles, but you have far more firepower than they do - if you keep your distance and your patience you'll be able to spot and take them out.

As you gain superiority, you'll be able to move forwards, a section of your halftracks at a time. Your dismounts are going to take up covered positions on your side of the river, and then use that to flush out the remaining Soviets, before getting the Schwimmwagen across.

As ever with German halftracks, I'd recommend *not* unbuttoning, at least by default - the gunner will stand up to shoot when needed, and will get down when not, keeping him out of fire. The halftrack will spot worse, but that's the "patience" part of it. Sometimes opening up is the thing to do, but it shouldn't be your default behaviour.

This is great - thanks people! I did try out some of the things you mentioned and I did much better. I never thought about staying way back on the ridge to begin with but that makes a lot of sense. So does the unbuttoning (these are things I never even thought of, so this really helps a lot). I did get my Schwimmobile across this time. Unfortunately, I got a very rude surprise when I got there (won't say anything more so I don't spoil it for those who haven't tried this yet). Anyway, back for another try later, but thank you people. This is really helpful!

Glenn

(hhmmmm, tried to "Like" John N's answer too but the forum is telling me I'm liking too many people. That's odd. Anyway, I'll try again later, but thanks to you also John :) .)

As silly as it is, it's not a bad scenario for seeing both halftracks and anti-tank rifles doing something of what they're supposed to do. The German halftrack (unlike the US one) is supposed to be a vehicle which supports by fire. It's certainly not an IFV, but it's more than just a truck.

Further to the above, I'd suggest looking at the crossing and working out where you're best going to concentrate your forces and making your crossing. Going left, up the centre and right all have their merits, and it's worth considering both what the enemy can see and what fires you can bring down on each approach avenue.

Edited by domfluff

Well, I'm not sure I agree about this scenario being gimmicky or silly. It is a plausible situation and who knows but this very thing didn't happen at the time. Personally, I find it quite challenging and very instructive but then I'm new to this type of operation. As you say too, it does demonstrate what the weaponry and vehicles are designed to do.

Yeah, finding the best place to cross certainly is the main sticking point for sure. In one attempt I thought I had it made. Turns out I was wrong :D . I'm really enjoying playing this scenario I must admit. I suspect there's more than one AI plan in there because it's played differently each time. That definitely keeps me coming back for more (that's MR. Masochist to you, if you please 😆).

Glenn