Fire and Rubble Possible Bugs

Stug IV tank rider bugs
It seems like I stumbled upon a couple of bugs regarding StuG IV tank riders.

In the first battle of the Broken Shields campaign (gorgeous map, by the way @benpark) the tank riders on this StuG IV (late) disembark as soon as the turn begins, instead of at the vehicle´s last waypoint (move and disembark orders given in the correct sequence). The bug occurs on both my laptop and desktop PC installs of CMRT.

Curiously, when I created a test scenario I wasn´t able to recreate the bug - but I found another one: The tank riders on the StuG IV (early) disappear visually when they embark the vehicle. The icons are still there and they reappear, once they disembark.

I have tested this with all StuG´s and Jagdpanzer IV´s (plus a few other german tanks) but only found the bug with the StuG IV. But as I said I wasn´t able to recreate premature disembarkation in my test scenario -  so perhaps it is something specific to the campaign?

I of course have save files I anyone wants them.

Combat%20Mission%20Red%20Thunder%20Scree

Edited by umlaut

As an addendum to my previous post, regarding destroyed lend lease trucks (Studebakers, perhaps?) on the Berlin maps showing up as all black, I tagged all three junk files as [umlauts_factory] in several locations I found in the mod folder, and the trucks are no longer showing on the Berlin maps.  Destroyed cars are showing and are properly rendered.

Now my question is, are destroyed lend lease trucks supposed to show on the Berlin maps or were they only showing up due to the factory mod?

The maps look amazing!

2 hours ago, umlaut said:

Stug IV tank rider bugs
It seems like I stumbled upon a couple of bugs regarding StuG IV tank riders.

In the first battle of the Broken Shields campaign (gorgeous map, by the way @benpark) the tank riders on this StuG IV (late) disembark as soon as the turn begins, instead of at the vehicle´s last waypoint (move and disembark orders given in the correct sequence). The bug occurs on both my laptop and desktop PC installs of CMRT.

Curiously, when I created a test scenario I wasn´t able to recreate the bug - but I found another one: The tank riders on the StuG IV (early) disappear visually when they embark the vehicle. The icons are still there and they reappear, once they disembark.

I have tested this with all StuG´s and Jagdpanzer IV´s (plus a few other german tanks) but only found the bug with the StuG IV. But as I said I wasn´t able to recreate premature disembarkation in my test scenario -  so perhaps it is something specific to the campaign?

I of course have save files I anyone wants them.

Combat%20Mission%20Red%20Thunder%20Scree

I tried the same in the broken shields scenario with a couple of MG teams. set disembark from the last stug way point. All worked fine for me ... 

18 minutes ago, zulu1966 said:

I tried the same in the broken shields scenario with a couple of MG teams. set disembark from the last stug way point. All worked fine for me ... 

Thanks for trying it too - that was a great help, because it seems that this is some sort of freakish incident in my game:

Your comment made me test a bit further and the result was quite puzzling:

I have made several tests with the save turn from the video above - and no matter what I do, the infantry will disembark once the StuG starts. 
But if I make the StuG and embarked tank riders stay put for another turn, before I give the exact same orders - then everything works just fine!

Very strange. I guess there might be something corrupt in just that single turn? If that is possible?

So probably no bug after all - just a strange turn/save file in my game.

2 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

I noticed in quick battles, using the Berlin maps, that the destroyed lend lease trucks show up as black.  In a previous post, @Falaisenoted that some blacking out of trucks was due to Umlaut's factory mod conflicting with F&R, and the fix was to tag the file junk7.mdr as junk7 [umlauts_factory].mdr.

I did this, but the lend lease trucks still show blacked out.  Could it be a different "junk" file that needs to be tagged for the lend lease trucks?

you must also have the Stalingrad mod
 in this folder mod go to the flavor object folder then flavor dummies then dummies
there you will find junk 8 which you rename junk7 [umlauts_factory]
et plus de problème

Just now, benpark said:

Yeah- looking for a good (bad) bridge save.

I've set up a test map with a few different bridge crossings, but no luck on replicating - but in-game, when complex combinations of things are a specific matter that is best found in the wild.

I made a testing ground with lots of bridges in FB and I can reproduce bridge bugs en masse. Just haven't had the energy to pull through more testing after failing to realize that FRAPS wasn't on and thought I had lots of documentation. I can send it to you if you want to tinker with it.

29 minutes ago, Heinrich505 said:

are the destroyed trucks supposed to appear on the Berlin maps

Not those trucks. The issue is that one of the mods you have has used an "extra slot" in the Flavor Objects. FR now uses that slot for something else, because we added a lot of Flavor Objects and needed the slots! So, when you see that truck, it should be a hunk of rubble, or some other item that has given me claw-hands to place. But - not a truck.

The best way to see if something is off in terms of things like this is to pull your mod folder, and reload it. If it still looks off, that's probably a bug- if it is OK, that mod needs renaming/renumbering.

@benpark

Thanks for clearing this up for me.  Having tagged the junk7, junk8, and junk9 files for [umlaut_factory], I no longer see those black lend lease trucks.  The destroyed/damaged cars really look sharp!

Sorry for the claw-hands, but your artwork on the maps is wonderful.  It really places us into the thick of things, and increases our immersion in the battles.   You've done a bang-up job on them!👍

8 minutes ago, Bartokomus said:

For the Scenario "Red Dawn" the briefing says you have the ability to use arty for prep barrage; however, none of the units for the Russians can call any of the artillery, therefore no prep barrage.

That battle is a monster. Tough and loads of fun. I knew that I had arty. So I just double checked. An Observer unit arrives turn 5. There may be others that come later....that's as far as I checked just now.

40 minutes ago, slysniper said:

Those tank riders are not disappearing I bet. look inside the tank or down at ground level. There is a graphic error that has shown them too low  and this one did not get picked up or something.

I remember that from testing. I thought that bug got squashed dead. I guess not for every vehicle. 

Yup, previously squashed dead. One of the dangers inherent in compiling the game for release after many (MANY) Beta builds is there's the outside chance that an older copy of some small file may inadvertently overwrite a newer copy, undoing a previous bug fix. Then we get the conversation "Something's wrong with X? ...But I thought we fixed it already!" It doesn't happen often but you's guys get to see it every time it does.

😭

9 hours ago, benpark said:

I can see I coded the entrance to be unable to use by vehicles on that, Geoff- that's a bug. If you have a save file, attach it and I can pass it along to the Wizard List.

I have attached a copy of the game file so you can see. I have earlier copies of the game if you want to try to replicate the 'teleport' using my file. The file is 5 meg so i have just loaded to Google Drive so you can download it.    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I8oBC2H8g2xibLuZpiYEAcBYvnrv2fXC/view?usp=sharing

FYI: The vehicles were moving under the left of the bridge on 'hunt' if they stopped under the bridge they teleport onto it. Was New game installation on Win10 ( uninstalled old and reloaded it with the new CMFR install).

Edited by Geoff-Ludumpress
FYI details

If you use the same save game name when saving it used to overwrite the existing save but now it doesn't seem to, anyone else having this problem? Not a huge deal but I like to keep one save around when I'm playing a scenario so I don't have to bother clearing them all out when I'm done.

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache