Very Odd CMRT Issue

Canuck21

G'Day all. I've got a really bizarre issue with CMRT, and it's got me and the Helpdesk really perplexed. I'm wondering if you folks with Macs could check and see if you're getting a similar behaviour so we might be able to nail down this thing a bit. It's not causing any problems in running the game so people may not even notice, which is why it's kind of elusive. So here's the deal:  In the Red Thunder folder under Applications, there are 2 folders, one of which is Game Files. In that folder, there are a bunch of other folders such as Scenarios, Quick Battle Maps, etc. That's all fine, but in Red Thunder (only), there is another Game Files folder as well (as a sub folder of the top level Games Files). In that you get a duplicate of all the folders in the top Games File folder (Scenarios, Quick Battle Maps, etc.). If you click on that Games Files folder, then that opens to yet another set of folders that also include another Games Files folder. In other words, the Game Files folder, contents and all, is getting duplicated as many as 5 times! And to answer the obvious question, no, I don't do drugs 😁

I removed the excess Game Files folders (leaving only the top one) then started the game again, and then closed it. Those duplicates reappeared yet again. As I say, the game runs just fine, but there's a lot of space and duplication going on here that is not explainable. It would be really helpful to know if anyone else is seeing this as well. Again, it seems to only be on the Mac (in my case an iMac, Big Sur). So for those with that system (and others because it might be useful to know where it's *not* occurring) could you have a quick look using Finder and see if you're seeing this as well? I have Game Engine 4 (downloaded a couple of weeks back) with the installer last updated in 2019.

I have, as I say, raised a ticket and John is working on it, but it's not something he's seen before (not surprising), so I'm trying to get as much info as I can to help with the troubleshooting at my end. 

Thanks a bunch. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get my new jacket refitted (the one these nice men brought me when I told a couple of friends about this - nice coat but the sleeves are too long and they are full of heavy leather straps and metal buckles - go figure 🤪).

Glenn

Yep, Mac user here and I see this too ....

Puzzled me greatly, but I just gave up trying to sort / remove the - apparent - layers of duplications!

The only thing I'd add (don't think I see it in your post?) is that the highest level "Game Files" folder has a "shortcut arrow" format ... is it somehow re-replicating itself continuously in the nested folders?

You are not going mad! Or, we both are ...?

Hey thanks for this @PhilM! Interesting it's happening on other games as well. For me, it's just the one as far as I can tell. I'll let John know. He hadn't noticed that before, but it's not surprising since it doesn't cause any issues with running the game. I don't think it's worth his time to go chasing this all over the place as long as the games do work. Really appreciate you getting back to me on this. Thanks!

Glenn

Just had a look at the game folders for BN, FI and FB on my Mac - don't have RT. Not seeing this under Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 with all latest game engines. Only see the alias PhilM mentions pointing to the original folder when it's embedded inside the app file on FI and BN - I think this was the older way of doing it, newer games just have the Game Files folder in the installed game folder in the main Applications folder. There's another alias inside the Game Files folder which points back to itself, or rather the original, a bit pointless but harmless and not the deep replication that you're describing Glenn.

Looks like it could be a Big Sur issue?

There's an alias to the Game Files folder at the main directory ( where the .app is ). There's also the same alias INSIDE the Game Files folder. What you are seeing is not duplicate folders. The Game Files alias that is inside the Game Files folder is pointing back to itself. So when you click on it it APPEARS that you go deeper into another set of game files (looks like that in column view anyway) but it's just showing you the same thing again.... and again... and again. Delete that one inside the Game Files folder and leave the one in the main directory and you're all set. 

Dave

@Lucky_Strike - No, not a Big Sur thing. PhilM has seen it for a while now well before Big Sur came out. 

@Ultradave, yes, I've deleted the (seemingly) duplicated folders a few times but as soon as I restart the game, they all reappear again. What you are saying about them just appearing to look like they are duplicated makes sense though. It's a bit befuddling though. John is working on what's going on as well, but he and his tech people are puzzled by this too.

Thanks guys.

33 minutes ago, Canuck21 said:

@Lucky_Strike - No, not a Big Sur thing. PhilM has seen it for a while now well before Big Sur came out. 

@Ultradave, yes, I've deleted the (seemingly) duplicated folders a few times but as soon as I restart the game, they all reappear again. What you are saying about them just appearing to look like they are duplicated makes sense though. It's a bit befuddling though. John is working on what's going on as well, but he and his tech people are puzzled by this too.

Thanks guys.

He’s working on it by asking me 😀

If you delete the Game Files alias from the Game Files folder it comes back when you restart the game? That’s odd. 

I’ll look at this more tomorrow. 

Dave

Ahh, very good @Ultradave :) . Yes, that was one of the first things I did before raising a ticket was to totally move (move to a totally different directory outside the Application folder, just in case ;) ) the duplicate folders out and then start the game. I just started it, then shut it down (I didn't actually do anything in there) and the subfolders all came back again. So the answer to your question is, "yes". It's really weird. Something must be generating it somewhere in there, but one fellow said he's seen it in a number of other titles as well. I only see it in the one so far. I also tried deleting the app alias I created to put on the dock and start the game from the main app icon in the Application>CMRT folder, but that didn't solve the problem (didn't think it would, but it was worth a try). I have noticed that all the Game File folders are alias' so there has to be a root folder somewhere that it links to. Could it be in there that the issue lies? Anyway, the titles all work really well, so this isn't hindering that at all. I'm tempted to ask if there's a full moon out as this is really weird :D .

Many thanks for your help on this Dave, much appreciated.

Glenn

I did a bunch of experimenting and did not find a way to get rid of the extra Game Files alias inside the Game Files directory. No matter what, it keeps getting regenerated eventually. The only advice I can give then is just ignore it. It's just an alias, not actual recursive directories, so it's not hurting anything or taking up space, other than the few K of itself.  I looked at BN and FI and they don't have the same thing happening, so it's not a Big Sur issue (I'm on Big Sur). I'll mention it after we get through pushing through FR and CW. It's not something that's going to get time spent on it right now.

Dave

Well, I just checked the FR beta and this DOES NOT happen there, so whatever is going on it's been coded out. So if you get FR it will not happen anymore it appears and if you aren't getting FR, there will still be an engine upgrade patch to apply and that should make it disappear. 

Dave

That's fine Dave. I definitely will be getting FR when it comes out (as in, the DAY OF :D )  so that will fix that, but as you say, it's not a big deal and definitely not worth spending any real time on. Really appreciate you looking into this for me though. All the best, and best of luck with FR.

Glenn

Edited by Canuck21

On 4/22/2021 at 5:17 PM, Ultradave said:

Well, I just checked the FR beta and this DOES NOT happen there, so whatever is going on it's been coded out. So if you get FR it will not happen anymore it appears and if you aren't getting FR, there will still be an engine upgrade patch to apply and that should make it disappear. 

Dave

Except that, as I said above, it occurs (for me, anyway) not just in - the about to be patched, along with the F&R content - CMRT, but also with the up to date versions of BN, FI and BS, so it hasn't already been "coded out" of those?

No big issue, nor deal breaker, just saying ...

Screenshot 2021-04-23 at 12.38.01.png

What you’re seeing is correct behaviour, the alias Game Files links through to, and shows, the original target folder, if you select the alias in the next level to the right it will show the target folder again ad infinitum I guess 🤪. The alias is behaving correctly. So the question is why is the nested alias there at all? I could understand it when the alias linked to files normally hidden inside the app itself, but why is the alias recreated inside the folder it points to - that don’t make no sense, unless there’s something going on inside the mechanics of the game that needs it, in which case it should be made invisible. And as you say, it don’t look fixed.

Ok. Doesn’t happen on my installation so maybe it’s OS version specific. 

in any case this is not an issue. It’s just an extra alias and it’s not doing anything other than pointing to what it says it’s pointing to. 

sorry for the confusion but my advice for now is to just ignore the fact it exists. 

Dave 

I'm not seeing it in the new version of Red Thunder (with or without FR activated), so it looks fine here now. I do not have this in any of my other WWII games (I have all the WWII titles). As you say Dave, it looks like this version coded it out. As I recall, the last Engine 4 Patch did not do CMRT because that was being done for F&R, so that would likely explain why I was seeing it in CMRT only. Fire & Rubble (or the Engine 4 Patch for that) has taken care of that, at least at my end.

Glenn