The Goldap Operation. The battle for Eastern Prussia, autumn 1944.

In anticipation of Fire and Rubble and the battle for Eastern Prussia here's a link to an article about the fierce fighting in the autumn of 1944.

Food for scenario and campaign makers!

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2018/12/15/goldap-operation-soviets-in-the-prussian-heartland/

Edited by Aragorn2002

Interesting source Aragorn 👍 Ideal conditions for a campaign ! Huge variety of forces, including everything except SS-formations. I am working on two F&R campaigns at the moment, what means a ton of work, but in my head the idea is slowly growing, to generate a whole CM F&R Campaign/Battle Pack...and East Prussia had definitely to take place in such a project 👍

1 hour ago, Mr.X said:

Interesting source Aragorn 👍 Ideal conditions for a campaign ! Huge variety of forces, including everything except SS-formations. I am working on two F&R campaigns at the moment, what means a ton of work, but in my head the idea is slowly growing, to generate a whole CM F&R Campaign/Battle Pack...and East Prussia had definitely to take place in such a project 👍

Delighted to hear you're inspired, X, no SS units, but the HG Panzer division, which is also extremely interesting. But don't forget the 'ordinary' infantry divisions like the 1st (defending their Prussian homeland!) and 50th. They deserve to be remembered for their tenacity and bravery.

Good luck with your campaigns!

Edited by Aragorn2002

• 2 years later...

Yes, still working on this. 😀 Can anybody help me with the Soviet OOB at the beginning of November 1944 in the Goldap/East Prussia sector? I think it must have  been units of the 31st Soviet Army that took this town at the end of October 1944, but which ones exactly? Even better would be to know which Soviet units defended the town against the counterattack by the German 5th Panzer division and 50th Infantry division. 

Much appreciated.

Gumbinnen-Goldap Operation:

On October 22nd, the 36th Guards-Rifle-Corps captured the town of Goldap and defended it until the Germans recaptured it between 2nd - 4th of November.

OOB 36th Guards-Rifle-Corps:

Commander:  Generalmajor Jefim Wassiljewitsch Ryschikow

16th Guards Rifle Division, Generalmajor M.A.Pronin

18th Guards Rifle Division, Generalmajor G.P.Isakow

84th Rifle Division, Generalmajor I.K. Scherbina

43rd Tank Brigade, Oberst G.A. Timschenko

Regards

Mr.X

52 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

Gumbinnen-Goldap Operation:

On October 22nd, the 36th Guards-Rifle-Corps captured the town of Goldap and defended it until the Germans recaptured it between 2nd - 4th of November.

OOB 36th Guards-Rifle-Corps:

Commander:  Generalmajor Jefim Wassiljewitsch Ryschikow

16th Guards Rifle Division, Generalmajor M.A.Pronin

18th Guards Rifle Division, Generalmajor G.P.Isakow

84th Rifle Division, Generalmajor I.K. Scherbina

43rd Tank Brigade, Oberst G.A. Timschenko

Regards

Mr.X

Much appreciated, Frank, thank you. May I ask where found this information?

Sorry for the missing sources🙏🏻
There are several Russian sources that someone translated in German. 

I took the trouble few years ago because books like the history of the 5th Panzer don‘t mention anything about the Soviet OOB. 

Regards

Mr.X

Edited by Mr.X

36 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

Sorry for the missing sources🙏🏻
There are several Russian sources that someone translated in German. 

I took the trouble few years ago because books like the history of the 5th Panzer don‘t mention anything about the Soviet OOB. 

Regards

Mr.X

I know. Neither does the divisional account of the 50th. Always difficult to get that kind of details.

Btw didn't ask for the source because I doubt you, on the contrary. Just curious.

Edited by Aragorn2002

13 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

By the way @Aragorn2002, what´s your progress with that campaign? Sounds very interesting 🙏

Well, the map is in full swing. Based on aerial pictures and other impeccable sources. But given my own limitations in skill and spare time it will be a scenario, not a campaign. Also the elevations are too difficult for me, so I will keep rhem to a minimum. The subject deserves a more skilled person than I am, but there it is. The end product will not up to your standards, but it's fun to work on, even when it won't be suitable  for publication. 😉

Edited by Aragorn2002

15 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

Not so much understatement Mr.Aragorn 😉

Oh, I will soldier on. 😀

But seriously I will get better and better. I will never give up.

I have unfinished, far from perfect scenarios that are nevertheless great fun to play.

Edited by Aragorn2002

9 minutes ago, Mr.X said:

👍

I remember, when I have made my first scenario for CMBB in 2004 or 2005. I was confident, it would be a great success and made it available for download.

The first statement of a player wiped out my hopes 😜 it was total crap.

Making scenarios or mods seldom give the maker the appreciation he deserves. That's why one should make them in the first place for oneself. I think even the best like GeorgeMC  and Kohlenklau will agree with that.

Edited by Aragorn2002

On 11/14/2023 at 9:28 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

Making scenarios or mods seldom give the maker the appreciation he deserves. That's why one should make them in the first place for oneself. I think even the best like GeorgeMC  and Kohlenklau will agree with that.

There's so much work needed to design a scenario.

Even a crappy one.😄

On 11/14/2023 at 8:19 PM, Mr.X said:

The first statement of a player wiped out my hopes 😜 it was total crap.

And look where we are now Frank, your upcoming stuff is great.

And Jacob, I was interested in this:

On 11/14/2023 at 8:04 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

I have unfinished, far from perfect scenarios that are nevertheless great fun to play.

Are any playable by an idiot like me - to play-test for release (by yourself of course), or try to improve if need be?  Perhaps they just need a polish as far as a briefing etc.?

I will send you two, Tim, I write this down as a reminder to myself since I have to go now to a meeting for my work in a hurry.

KC Lt Neumeyer (a remake of the CMBB scenario by .....)

The Lions are Hunting (Lithuania September 1944, GD)

Just to give you an impression whether it's worth your while. Expect them this afternoon!

On 11/16/2023 at 9:12 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

I will send you two, Tim, I write this down as a reminder to myself since I have to go now to a meeting for my work in a hurry.

KC Lt Neumeyer (a remake of the CMBB scenario by .....)

The Lions are Hunting (Lithuania September 1944, GD)

Just to give you an impression whether it's worth your while. Expect them this afternoon!

KC Lt Neumeyer (a remake of the CMBB scenario by MAD RUSSIAN, who also gave my his kind permission to use his outstanding original)

Edited by Aragorn2002