AI Trigger for Arty?

Is there a way when designing a scenario, to have the FO not call for arty fire until an enemy unit enters a trigger point? From what I gather in the manual, setting up an artillery strike is something you paint in during the design process and then the artillery starts firing soon after the scenario starts. I'd like to hold off until the enemy enters a trigger point (no point to firing at empty terrain ;) ). Thanks for any help.

24 minutes ago, Canuck21 said:

Is there a way when designing a scenario, to have the FO not call for arty fire until an enemy unit enters a trigger point? From what I gather in the manual, setting up an artillery strike is something you paint in during the design process and then the artillery starts firing soon after the scenario starts. I'd like to hold off until the enemy enters a trigger point (no point to firing at empty terrain ;) ). Thanks for any help.

Your best bet for this is on-map mortars and you can then create a linked order and area fire to an AI trigger. Its not possible via off-map arty/mortar assets.

Here are my humble notes from previous dinking around with this issue...

AI Mortar success!

I had 2 different FO's on map from start and placed them in good spots with LOS.

Then made the actual mortars show at R1=5, R2=10, R3=15.

I deployed them to make sure that the FO had them in contact. And a platoon HQ as well. Responsible adult types with radios.

The mortars do spend a turn deploying upon arrival. 

But then pretty soon the board lights up with pretty green lines. If someone carelessly is spotted. 

This one FO had 2 different missions going. They appear to take the normal long times to get the mission set-up. 5 minutes, 7 minutes, 9 minutes. They do fire spotting rounds and adjust.

A round too far left, a bit later a round too far right, a bit later one more or less on target, then a bit later, 4 rounds. bam bam bam bam. 

It wasn't on the area of the AI plans Support Targets Axis. The platoon HQ also set-up a mission.

Unfortunately, it can't happen at night or when viz is very low due to fog or smoke.

So, this could be part of an AI defense plan for a scenario or also for AI on the attack. You don't need to get the initial preplanned barrage style from turn 1. It could come later on...

Actually, I now recall I did use an off-map mortar team that came in at R2. So, you could sprinkle low supply off-map mortar teams in with your R groups. They don't take up an AI slot either.

A prolonged defensive mortaring to make every round count. Come on ostfront winter module!