Glad you see the light and are enjoying your liberation (assuming you are indeed, French) brought to you by The Commonwealth and United States armies, navies, and air forces. Great picture choice, too! James Whitmore was not only a great actor but served in the 4th Marine Division on Saipan (where my Dad fought and was wounded) and Tinian.

Edited by mjkerner

It may not have been obvious due to the format, but it was a joke. I am aware of these great contributions.

The American sentiment on combat was not the most gung-ho you could find however, especially in the ETO. If a Joe could skip out on a patrol he would definitely take the chance, just like how an Air Corps aviator would be concerned about the mission count. I wouldn't call that cowardice either, but I would describe it as an American mindset. The Joe definitely believed in going home as soon as he could, while Germans or Japanese knew they were in the show until they were either dead, crippled or a prisoner. This specific movie (in fact it is THE favorite of mine when it comes to the ETO) James stars in definitely highlights the fact, and I am not saying there weren't any G.I.s who fought valiantly either.

Edited by Frenchy56

8 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

No, just American.

Wow............... what a terrible thing to say.

3 hours ago, Frenchy56 said:

It may not have been obvious due to the format, but it was a joke. I am aware of these great contributions.

The American sentiment on combat was not the most gung-ho

If a Joe could skip out on a patrol he would definitely take the chance,

like how an Air Corps aviator would be concerned about the mission count.

You are are aware but not necessarily grateful or even respectful.  You said it was a joke ............ so you even view this as funny.  I try to stay positive on this forum which is part of a fun hobby for me.  Occasionally the nasty, hateful outside world intrudes and reveals true colors.         

Listen, if you want to gang up on me and make me an American-hater, then go right ahead. What I have to say is that I had no intention in degrading the contribution of the United States during WW2. In fact I spend most of my modding time trying to represent U.S. forces in as authentic a way as possible, mostly unit textures (right now I'm trying to work out how I should distribute HBT uniforms in each division), and I collect U.S. WW2 equipment, original or repro. This was a failed joke and I regret it. Let's move on.

Edited by Frenchy56

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

You said it was a joke ............ so you even view this as funny.

Catch-22 is a book that represents 12th Air Force bomber crews and their mission count with a lot of dark humor. It was written by a 12th Air Force airman. Guess he's the devil.

Bill Mauldin may have made a joke about skipping out on a patrol as well. Down to the pits of hell with him. I do respect the G.I. Joe and I think he was a good guy but I don't treat him like a Greek mythology hero either.

Edited by Frenchy56

On 4/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, MikeyD said:

There are weather and terrain extremes that rarely get used in CM scenarios because they're liable to bring the battle to a halt. Blizzard, high wind and deep snow condition for example. Another is heavy rain and muddy conditions. CM is a tactical sim, sometimes the proper tactical thing to do is just not bring your armor forward. Or at least stick to paved roads only.

Some of the scenarios involving attacks in bad weather seem pretty dicey to me regardless of the conditions. It's bad enough if you stand to lose any vehicle to bogging, but when the scenario also involves an attack right into the teeth of the enemy defense with no prospect of maneuver and scores you viciously for failing in spite of these conditions I rapidly lose patience with the scenario designer and whatever his intent was and head to the editor. Weather is great contextual stuff, but the scenario designers need be aware that it can radically and unpredictably alter the circumstances of the scenario. That's fine as long as the expectations on the player are reasonable...

Edited by SimpleSimon

In CM 'deep snow' setting erases all roads.  'Snow' erases all roads except highway. In light snow setting the roads can still be seen. I've got three snowy winter scenarios in the coming Fire and Rubble. Two were light snow condition and one was patchy snow. None of them 'snow' or 'deep snow' because I didn't want the roads to disappear on me. Plowing is nothing to be sneezed at. Wars run on petrol and supplies. If the roads aren't open you're a gonner.

3 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

Some of the scenarios involving attacks in bad weather seem pretty dicey to me regardless of the conditions. It's bad enough if you stand to lose any vehicle to bogging, but when the scenario also involves an attack right into the teeth of the enemy defense with no prospect of maneuver and scores you viciously for failing in spite of these conditions I rapidly lose patience with the scenario designer and whatever his intent was and head to the editor. Weather is great contextual stuff, but the scenario designers need be aware that it can radically and unpredictably alter the circumstances of the scenario. That's fine as long as the expectations on the player are reasonable...

I sense PaperTiger's aura in this post.

It's ok so long as the player has been given enuff stuff to overcome one or two boggings/immobilizations.  But, sometimes, one feels that the designer has tested the scenario only for the best outcomes.  Yes, Paper Tiger has made some of the best campaigns, but he likes to throw in one of two mission that that darn near impossible without multiple tries.  eg: his otherwise xnt CMSF Red vs Red "Road to Dinas".