Upload pic size restricted

KGBoy

I was trying to upload some pics for a discussion I wanted to start but for some reason I am restricted to 53.24kB size. I was loading 250 Kb the other day with no problem. 53.24Kb is of such low resolution that the picture becomes unreadable. What is up? 

Ahh yes, anything more than a few postage stamps and you’ll run out of space pretty quickly. You can either click on your name (top right) and select My Attachments. From there you should get a list of all the guff you’ve ever posted. Delete away to make space, but be aware anything recent will not be glued into the forum archive so will permanently disappear. I think the forum archives a couple of times a month so one needs to leave your image in place for a few weeks to make it a permanent fixture that can be seen years later ... then it can be safely deleted..

OR Try using something like imgur - it’s free, I started using it last year when making a new mod and have not had any issues with it. I guess they have probably stolen my soul or something, but I haven’t noticed the lack of one yet, that probably comes later at the pearly gates. For now until it stops working I’ll keep using it.

Once you have an account you can add pics. You need to add a link to your post on the forum; to get the link, click your desired pic on imgur, in the pop up select the Direct Link, it’ll look something like this:

https://i.imgur.com/sMki4HK.jpg

Copy that and paste it into your post. When you paste it in your post it should just convert to the image and display in your post like so:

sq9rtxK.jpg

Once posted, just below your image will be a little dialogue thing saying you can display the link rather than the image if you want, might be desirable if the image is offensive ...  

qcE8Wsc.jpg
Some folks @Warts 'n' all are offended by such things ... but have to be thanked for teaching me all about My Attachments

qFGarvd.pngLet's see if this works.

Yep.

I think I figured it out. Long story short: the URL you used is one that points to a web page, with several images. Each one of those images has its own URL. I right-clicked an image, copied the link location, then in this message window, I clicked "Other Media" and used that approach to stick your image URL in. So, this is just one of the images.

Edited by CaptainTheDark
Helping a fellow newbie share pictures

2 hours ago, KGBoy said:

@Lucky Strike Not sure what I signed up for but all I've gotten is this link for giving what might be my soul to them! Is there a trick to turning it into what you did?

https://imgur.com/a/B8whnrk

Okay, so, now that you have no soul, what you need to do is open your imgur account page, add some images, it should then look something like this with lots of nice thumbnails (minus strange old ladies, that comes later):

Dp8xCis.jpg

... click on a picture in your account view, you should see a pop up with the image and some links to the right, something like this:

Z1FigTi.jpg

... now click on the blue “Copy” button next to the “Direct Link” link, notice it starts with https and must end in .jpg or .png, and possibly .gif and .mp4, though not 100% sure what imgur does to videos and gifs. This example is the Bazzer Bocage btw ... a non existent mod, unless someone really wants it? Anyone? 

The blue “Copy” button copies the link to your clipboard.

Now come back to your intended post and paste in the link. You should see it momentarily in your post, then it will magically morph into a grown up picture, voila:

NzPRd5s.png

Notice, in the pic above, at the bottom of the reply edit window there’s a little message that’s popped up “Your link has been automatically embedded. Display as a link instead”. If you click the Display as a link instead option it will do just that, image disappears and you get a link in your post instead. Not sure why you would do this, maybe to hide some embarrassing holiday snaps ... or maybe your pic has spoilers or kittens or something ...

0hImjxk.jpg

You can then post as many pics as you want without the need to empty your attachments every few days. And your images will hopefully persist until the end of time ...

I have no idea what imgur is doing with my images, they’re welcome to them, I only use it for posting on here so if it disappears nothing serious is going to be lost. And, as I mentioned somewhere earlier, the board does a kinda backup thing where I think stuff gets baked-in to posts and archived. So as long as your images are in place when that happens I think they then persist if you decide to remove them or imgur suddenly realises there’s no money to be made from hosting millions of images for free. I really don’t get their business model, they don’t even bother to spam me, probably something in the small print about once you use their service they own your house ...

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, CaptainTheDark said:

Let's see if this works.

Yep.

I think I figured it out. Long story short: the URL you used is one that points to a web page, with several images. Each one of those images has its own URL. I right-clicked an image, copied the link location, then in this message window, I clicked "Other Media" and used that approach to stick your image URL in. So, this is just one of the images.

Yes, that’s another way to do it ...

@CaptainTheDark Beautiful! Thank you! I was getting sick of myself over this. That is until they yielded me @Lucky Strike's cat photo which I still can't get over how much I love it (and I hate cute animals pics). I will parse your wonderful instructions but must admit I went questing for your Hedgerow Hell MODS. I beg you to show me where I can get some! 

Yours, presently in hedgerow hell waiting release...

Edited by KGBoy

4 hours ago, KGBoy said:

and I hate cute animals pics

He’s clinging on to that tap (faucet) for dear life, poor beggar. Heeelllppp meee!

4 hours ago, KGBoy said:

I will parse your wonderful instructions but must admit I went questing for your Hedgerow Hell MODS. I beg you to show me where I can get some! 

Yours, presently in hedgerow hell waiting release...

You can get some relief either in this thread - you might need to try a couple of different links, not sure how well they have persisted. Do read the instructions as there are quite a few variations to experiment with.

Or easier still try Booties CM Mod Warehouse IV here

Whilst you’re at the CM Mod Warehouse there is plenty of other stuff to check out.

If you get stuck give me a shout I usually drop in once a day ...

Enjoy!

6 hours ago, KGBoy said:

Thanks so much @Lucky Strike To paraphrase Henry Higgins: I believe I've got it!

Forgot to add - Love the Hedgerows. I went easy on my aging laptop.

You’re welcome 👍 But who is this other @Lucky Strike - we have not been formerly introduced, or perhaps a version of me from an alternative reality...

If you are using the mod on an older laptop I would recommend using the low res versions, you’ll barely notice any difference most of the time unless you zoom in on stuff, but the overhead on your GPU is significantly less. It’s worth experimenting with various combos of resolution and settings to find a sweet spot. I personally don’t tend to use the highest resolution for most of the mod, that’s kinda reserved for development as far as I’m concerned, it’s easier to start with the high res when making the mod, then reduce the resolution for gameplay.