anyone ever think of Burnt out vehicles skins?

with recently purchasing CMFB, its awesome and nice to see the winter textures for the tanks again..since CMX1 days, I have been with the series the whole time and remember when the flaming vehicles did not extinguish...I do like that they do extinguish themselves after a allotted time but I feel adding a burnt out skin would add so much to the immersion and atmosphere to the game....

is this possible for future improvements? is it as easy as say winter textures? 

Bubba

@BFCElvis would be interested to hear the teams thoughts, has anyone thought of this before????

It has been done. Several burnt out vehicles have been modded as flavor objects. Tracks are alpha layered out, wheels too if applicable, rusted and burnt.

I had one as a sign for a German unit., a T-34...

This was about 5 or so years ago...maybe somebody else did the burnt ones. These are mine. Not so toasty! Just wrecks waiting on the auto club...

RpOyfkY.jpg

3CHu2Wn.jpg

Edited by kohlenklau

Yep. I did a bit of experimenting with that, but never finished or released it. Mainly because using these mods leads to a string of new problems:
If they are flavor objects then they do not provide cover - and cant burn.
If they are used as destroyed and/or burning units, they do provide cover, but then the "live" units of the same type will look damaged too.

Perhaps I´ll give them another try some day.

cm%20normandy.exe%20Screenshot%202020.01
Sherman%20damage.jpg?dl=1

Edited by umlaut

1 hour ago, umlaut said:

Yep. I did a bit of experimenting with that, but never finished or released it. Mainly because using these mods leads to a string of new problems:
If they are used as destroyed and/or burning units, they do provide cover, but then the "live" units of the same type will look damaged too.

Perhaps I´ll give them another try some day.

cm%20normandy.exe%20Screenshot%202020.01
Sherman%20damage.jpg?dl=1

That's really cool umlaut. Great try. But I was thinking more of a active transfer, like once the unit is hit. And only when it brews up, it could change the skin to show blackening around the hatches and entry hole of the hit. Would be really nice affect if able to be done. 

14 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

once the unit is hit. And only when it brews up, it could change the skin to show blackening around the hatches and entry hole of the hit. Would be really nice affect if able to be done. 

Kind of like a Hit Decal.  But bigger and multiple Burn Decals.........

1 hour ago, benpark said:

Flavor objects provide cover, but not concealment.

I keep this link handy, for every time I forget myself:

Thanks, Ben. That was news to me. I was certain that flavor objects did not offer cover. I think, I might actually have tested it myself. But perhaps I used the wrong kind of flavor object for the test.

well, and obviously the properties of the flavor object made by someone would not be coded into the game as the ones in the game are done by Charles so whatever object you chose to modify would retain the properties assigned to whatever the object was before you turned it into whatever you turned it into.

1 hour ago, benpark said:

I do think the scale of the object matters, somewhat- maybe it was a smaller object. Bigger object=some more cover/ but no concealment.

Here´s what Steve says in your link:

Flavor Objects provide cover but not concealment. The degree of cover is, of course, dependent on what the object is. A soldier will get a lot more cover lying behind some tires instead of standing up behind a sign post :)

9 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Umlaut, why can I never see your pics? Just blank space.

I too suffer from this, using Chrome on an iPad ...

I have to download the image to see it, lots of little baby umlauts scattered all over my downloads. It might be the type of link pasted, I think it has to start with https to display in certain browsers, but don’t quote me on that.

On 4/7/2021 at 12:35 AM, umlaut said:

A solution to this problem is to provide content creators individual tags which activate model swaps using some of the less popular vehicles in the game (or models from another game entirely)... after all, from a game perspective, you only need a large, metallic object which can burn.

Heaven & Earth utilizes numerous tagged model swaps (and will add even more in the next version), off the top of my head...

[amphib] swaps BRDM-2's, BMP-2's & both German Fuchs with boats of various types.

[hotlz] swaps a uaz with a helicopter.

[cache] swaps a uaz with a large pile of boxes.

[bhcw] swaps a M1129 mortar Stryker with a Kubelwagon... then makes it entirely invisible.

[bhcw] swaps the Technical pick-up trucks with various armed jeeps & trucks. Oh & the zil truck is swapped with a WW2 Soviet truck.

[m48] & [m48a3] swaps different T-55 models into Pattons.

[acav] swaps a BTR-60 with an M113 ACAV.

By default, in the modern era, VBIED cars & Taxi's have been swapped around & the ural truck becomes an open-topped Western one.

It's not unusual for a Heaven & Earth scenario to have a half dozen tags running (for era, equipment or uniform swaps, different environment settings & to activate different sounds or SFX).

The WW2 games, which have so many versions of the same vehicle (often with unique bitmaps), would be very easy to tag in this manner... an OT-34, very early model Shermans borrowed from CMFI, the Sonderkraftfahrzeug Gleisketten-Lastkraft Flugzeugabwehrkanone 30... with a radio etc, etc