So you want a Flak Tower (-ish)?

Quick mock-up in FI as a proof of concept that Flak Towers can be created in F&R which will include tank turrets. They have a low profile and are hard to destroy from the front. Very hard to hit with a shot coming from below and at a long distance. Also hard to spot which all in all give them a huge advantage.

zveeZT7.png

Where you place them can change how large the "dead zone" is which they can't hit. I don't know what it was with the real towers.

lOSMGZf.png

reGtOzD.png

I'm sure further enhancements can be made to make them look more real, but I did notice some really weird shadow artifacts when I placed walls on top of the tower.

I've actually been to masada.  Roman siege ramp still there, 2000 years later.  I've had two business trips to Israel, lots of history there.  Oh, and spoiler alert:  The Sea of Galilee is just a lake :).  But as an Israeli told me "well, it's the only lake we have so why can't we exaggerate?"

Interesting concept, since there’s not much inside that would be of interest in a scenario this could work quite nicely as a substitute.

Worth a try with some 88’s and bunkers on top. Also, are they introducing that 128mm PaK in F&R? That would make a, perhaps too good, substitute for the 128mm double Flak that the originals fielded. Maybe try a slight stepping on the top to recreate the slightly different levels. I think the 20mm quads were perched quite close to the edges. The Russians gave these things a wide birth cos they knew it would cost them way too much time material and effort to assault them.

3nT7wFU.jpg

It was tried in testing. It works fairly well (with the mix of flak placed) offensively- if the guns survive. Didn't cut it in the looks department, and it doesn't hold up to the inevitable artillery in the defense like the chunk of rebar and concrete above. The remaining insides of the Humboldthain tower make the defensive qualities clear- there was a lot of reinforcement in those things.

BFC aren't generally prone to add things that are one-use adds to maps. If a model gets added, it should be useful for as many things as possible for the time sink to make and code it.

That's the gist, Dan- it looks good. It just didn't work with the scenario it was attempted in. A different situation, definitely (if people can use 5% imagination).

The western Berlin map ends just east of the Siegessäule, so the Zoo area isn't in. It would be a good candidate for a scenario.

8 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Can you post larger (visible) screenshots? Nice work. Problem with non-tank turrets is that they are easier to knock out with arty. I'm currently testing what caliber is needed to knock out turrets. Using buildings limits how tall they can be.

Edit: Ninja-benpark beat me to the punch.

Edited by rocketman

12 hours ago, benpark said:

It was tried in testing. It works fairly well (with the mix of flak placed) offensively- if the guns survive. Didn't cut it in the looks department, and it doesn't hold up to the inevitable artillery in the defense like the chunk of rebar and concrete above. The remaining insides of the Humboldthain tower make the defensive qualities clear- there was a lot of reinforcement in those things.

BFC aren't generally prone to add things that are one-use adds to maps. If a model gets added, it should be useful for as many things as possible for the time sink to make and code it.

My idea was for this to be used in community made scenarios. I agree it doesn't look good, but if you want to simulate flak towers it might be good enough. Plunging shots take out tanks at long ranges and they have no way of taking them out.

Regarding the one-use stuff policy - wasn't some bridges in the MG module pretty much used only once?

Yes- those were bridges were added as a specific. They served a purpose beyond the ornamental, which is probably why they made the cut. It takes time and capital to make these things- they are sensible about what can and can't go in.

Every title gets a full pass on the art. In FR we did get 3D terrain asset stuff that was made specifically for the module- I'd say the rubble walls are the specific add- but there are lots of buildings (middle-European churches, a factory, and a few more details I'm probably missing off the top of my head).

Edited by benpark

41 minutes ago, benpark said:

Yes- those were bridges were added as a specific. They served a purpose beyond the ornamental, which is probably why they made the cut. It takes time and capital to make these things- they are sensible about what can and can't go in.

Every title gets a full pass on the art. In FR we did get 3D terrain asset stuff that was made specifically for the module- I'd say the rubble walls are the specific add- but there are lots of buildings (middle-European churches, a factory, and a few more details I'm probably missing off the top of my head).

No worries, I understand the limitations of course.

3 hours ago, benpark said:

Will the factories have floors on every.....floor 🙃 ? or will they be like two, three story buildings without internal floors ?