CM & Tablets Functionality

G'day all. I'm a new old guy (ok, no cracks about my age - I mean I was on here a number of years ago but took a hiatus and am back now 😊). I just purchased all the WWII era sims/games and of course, am delighted with them. I thought I noticed somewhere (could be wrong) a post from someone asking about the functionality of tablets with CM games. I own both the Cintiq and Intuos Pro tablets from Wacom and have tried them both with CM systems, so I thought I'd report back here just in case anyone was wondering. Not a lot of people own Cintiq's so perhaps that's not as relevant but it does not work with the CM games, as I expected. However, the Intuos Pro works very well indeed. In fact, if you program your stylus buttons to the CMD/CTRL modifier, you can move around the map quite quickly and fluidly. It's quite a nice setup really. I find I can be quite precise in where my movement and fire plots go as well. Now, if you're used to using the mouse or trackpad, but not used to the tablet, the learning curve may be fairly steep and a tad prolonged, so I wouldn't recommend running out and buying a tablet just for this purpose, but if you've been considering one for other purposes anyway, I can tell you that you'll get extra duty out of it by using it with CM games.

I should say that my rig is an iMac 27 5K (I've tried it on my MacBook Air as well with the same results), so if you're on a Windows machine, I can't say how well (or even if) it would work, but I'd be surprised if it didn't. I doubt this is a platform specific thing, but I thought I'd better mention it just in case. Also, I only own Wacom tablets so whether a Surface, Huion (or other brand/model) would work, I also can't say.

Anyway, I hope this helps either now, or down the road.

Thanks for this. Old is probably the average on here!

Got me thinking about using my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil tethered through AstroPad. I’ve used that combo quite successfully with PhotoShop and MacOS Finder, so don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work in CM games. Will have to fire it up and see what it’s like ...

Edited by Lucky_Strike

@Lucky_Strike   G'day :) . Yeah, the Cintiq is what I use for Photoshop but of course BF doesn't support a pen display tablet so I need to revert to the Intuos. Now that said, it was an interesting experiment but when I went back to the trackpad, I actually find it easier to use so that's what I'll go with. It was worth the effort though and I may go back to the Intuos at some point.

@Bulletpoint:  No, as @ratdeath states, the tablet itself doesn't display the game. If the Cintiq was supported, then I would, but that would be asking a whole lot from BF to do that (ain't gonna happen for good reason ;) ). The tablet in this case just allows you to move the cursor and make selections (L click, R click, etc) which I'm pretty used to. If you're not really comfortable with a tablet though, it would be waaaay more work than it's worth trying to learn it. The Cintiq would display the game on the tablet if it were supported (as Photoshop, for instance, does), but again, that mod would never be worth BF's time to make. 

8 hours ago, ratdeath said:

7 minutes ago, Canuck21 said:

@Lucky_Strike   G'day :) . Yeah, the Cintiq is what I use for Photoshop but of course BF doesn't support a pen display tablet so I need to revert to the Intuos. Now that said, it was an interesting experiment but when I went back to the trackpad, I actually find it easier to use so that's what I'll go with. It was worth the effort though and I may go back to the Intuos at some point.

@Bulletpoint:  No, as @ratdeath states, the tablet itself doesn't display the game. If the Cintiq was supported, then I would, but that would be asking a whole lot from BF to do that (ain't gonna happen for good reason ;) ). The tablet in this case just allows you to move the cursor and make selections (L click, R click, etc) which I'm pretty used to. If you're not really comfortable with a tablet though, it would be waaaay more work than it's worth trying to learn it. The Cintiq would display the game on the tablet if it were supported (as Photoshop, for instance, does), but again, that mod would never be worth BF's time to make. 

@Canuck21 Heh - beat me to the punch ... 😃

I was just thinking out loud ... with an app like AstroPad on an iPad one does have screen mirroring so, over wifi, technically, one can “play” on the iPad. AstroPad is a bit of a battery pig and it’s gonna be laggy depending on your wifi conditions, but for wego it could work, sort of. Also I think now Apple have built-in some kind of screen mirroring to the iPad/Mac OS. Might go and try it out in a mo ... 

Can you do anything useful with the pressure sensitivity on the Intuos? Would be cool to be able to somehow leverage that for zooming in or some such ... 🤓

5 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

@Canuck21 Heh - beat me to the punch ... 😃

I was just thinking out loud ... with an app like AstroPad on an iPad one does have screen mirroring so, over wifi, technically, one can “play” on the iPad. AstroPad is a bit of a battery pig and it’s gonna be laggy depending on your wifi conditions, but for wego it could work, sort of. Also I think now Apple have built-in some kind of screen mirroring to the iPad/Mac OS. Might go and try it out in a mo ... 

Can you do anything useful with the pressure sensitivity on the Intuos? Would be cool to be able to somehow leverage that for zooming in or some such ... 🤓

Yeah, I don't really know anything about AstroPad, but it's an interesting idea. I know the Cintiq acts like a second display so I can mirror that on the iMac, and yes, I think Apple does now have a function for doing that with the iPad. I've never tried it though. 

Interesting idea about the pressure sensitivity though! I never thought of trying that. I may have a look at that tomorrow, but I'd be interested in any findings you come up with.

I've used a Microsoft Surface for years with CM, although not recently.  I have a Surface Book now.  But the Pen works very well with it for a functional perspective.  Although in the Surface, the Intel GPU cause blurring.  But in the Book, with an nVidia GPU, it runs great.

10 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

I've used a Microsoft Surface for years with CM, although not recently.  I have a Surface Book now.  But the Pen works very well with it for a functional perspective.  Although in the Surface, the Intel GPU cause blurring.  But in the Book, with an nVidia GPU, it runs great.

Good to know, thanks 👍

So I fired up AstroPad last night and set it to full screen on the Mac so that it displays the full screen on the iPad - in normal mode it just displays a section of the Mac’s screen which can be zoomed, good for Photoshop work etc. I was surprised how fluid it was even over wifi. No serious lag, very easy to zip around the battlefield, but would need some modifier keys assigned to get it working sensibly, out of the box it can’t really control much. Worked fine with either touch or the Apple Pencil. Noticeable colour shift, not horrible just different, I guess that on the iPad it’s probably displaying at a lower bit rate to keep things moving smoothly. I suspect this can be set somewhere.

Overall it works without issue, just don’t know how it would be useful - I guess one could attach a very large display/TV to the Mac and then use the iPad as a sort of game controller. I’ll need to have another play with it to see how practical it might be.

Ooh another idea, since it’s wifi and the iPad displays exactly what the Mac does, toilet CM ... CMWC™️ - gotta be better than perusing someone else’s WC reading matter that got left behind, oooh yeah just gonna drop a dirty bomb or two on those infidels! 💩

Edited by Lucky_Strike

That's really interesting. I guess you could blow it up quite a lot if sending the info to the TV, but you may find the resolution goes for a dump, and it does get laggy. I'm not sure about that though. On the colour shift, that's interesting as well, but I guess not surprising. You probably have your displays calibrated if you're submitting any graphics/photography anywhere (I have my iMac calibrated, but nothing else), but I don't know the infrastructure of displaying the CM game so it may not be relevant I guess. Not sure I'd be too worried about that however.

<LOL> Not sure what CMWC is (I've led a sheltered life 😆) so I'm not getting your last idea ;) . Does sound intriguing though.

5 hours ago, Canuck21 said:

That's really interesting. I guess you could blow it up quite a lot if sending the info to the TV, but you may find the resolution goes for a dump, and it does get laggy. I'm not sure about that though. On the colour shift, that's interesting as well, but I guess not surprising. You probably have your displays calibrated if you're submitting any graphics/photography anywhere (I have my iMac calibrated, but nothing else), but I don't know the infrastructure of displaying the CM game so it may not be relevant I guess. Not sure I'd be too worried about that however.

Yeah, I think the game would struggle on a 50inch screen ... the interface doesn’t scale very well. On my iMac, which is indeed calibrated, I have to fudge the resolution to get it looking nice and sharp, but the actual UI elements are a bit too small to use. I actually have a PC which I run through to my iMac to play the games on, prefer how the nVidia GPU renders the game, plus I like to use some ReShade goodness.

The colour shift might have been ‘cos I was trying this out a bit, huh hum, late at night, the iPad was probably doing that less blue will make you sleepy thing - doesn’t work by the way ... 😳

6 hours ago, Canuck21 said:

<LOL> Not sure what CMWC is (I've led a sheltered life 😆) so I'm not getting your last idea ;) . Does sound intriguing though.

You’ll have to ask the wife, I’m sure she’ll have something to say about the sound of explosions 💨 coming from the loo ...

16 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yeah, I think the game would struggle on a 50inch screen ... the interface doesn’t scale very well...

FWIW I've tried streaming CM games from my main PC (in a different room) to a low-power HTPC outputting to my TV.  Works quite well, but TVs aren't as crisp as monitors so it's hard to read the text in the UI.  Outputting to a monitor works just fine.

20 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yeah, I think the game would struggle on a 50inch screen ... the interface doesn’t scale very well. On my iMac, which is indeed calibrated, I have to fudge the resolution to get it looking nice and sharp, but the actual UI elements are a bit too small to use. I actually have a PC which I run through to my iMac to play the games on, prefer how the nVidia GPU renders the game, plus I like to use some ReShade goodness.

The colour shift might have been ‘cos I was trying this out a bit, huh hum, late at night, the iPad was probably doing that less blue will make you sleepy thing - doesn’t work by the way ... 😳

You’ll have to ask the wife, I’m sure she’ll have something to say about the sound of explosions 💨 coming from the loo ...

Yeah, the PC does have a few advantages that way for this game. I noticed that too re the iPad day/night shift. That said, I rarely make it anymore to it's changeover point 🥴.

I can see where a wife might maybe have some... shall we say, 'questions', regarding that 😆. I guess as long as they are still only coming from the computer, you're safe. But... 🥺...

5 hours ago, Jabble said:

FWIW I've tried streaming CM games from my main PC (in a different room) to a low-power HTPC outputting to my TV.  Works quite well, but TVs aren't as crisp as monitors so it's hard to read the text in the UI.  Outputting to a monitor works just fine.

Yes, I can see how the UI would be the biggest problem, I have enough trouble reading subtitles on my TV as it is 🤓, don’t need to put any more strain on the old peepers. The advantage of using AstroPad would be that it mirrors what’s on the screen OR it can mirror just a section of the screen so, in theory, one could have the UI at a sensible size on the iPad and use that to control the game, but TBH I doubt the good wife would be impressed with my using the TV for this purpose ... I get enough grief as it is!

1 hour ago, Canuck21 said:

Yeah, the PC does have a few advantages that way for this game. I noticed that too re the iPad day/night shift. That said, I rarely make it anymore to it's changeover point 🥴.

Hah, I’m suffering form a lockdown time shift, days have all just melted into each other, not good ... but then again, more CM is no bad thing!

1 hour ago, Canuck21 said:

I can see where a wife might maybe have some... shall we say, 'questions', regarding that 😆. I guess as long as they are still only coming from the computer, you're safe. But... 🥺...

Just blame the 🐶 or 🐱

5 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Yes, I can see how the UI would be the biggest problem, I have enough trouble reading subtitles on my TV as it is 🤓, don’t need to put any more strain on the old peepers. The advantage of using AstroPad would be that it mirrors what’s on the screen OR it can mirror just a section of the screen so, in theory, one could have the UI at a sensible size on the iPad and use that to control the game, but TBH I doubt the good wife would be impressed with my using the TV for this purpose ... I get enough grief as it is!

Hehe!  I got around that by attaching a monitor as well (parked on a small table) - I don't know if that's possible with Astropad.  The crispness makes reading the UI much easier, and you can watch TV at the same time.  Or pretend to... "Er, yes dear, fascinating!"

I too find that the colour shift doesn't make me sleepy, but I quite like it and it does mark the evening progressing.