WHY has nobody considered attempting Stalingrad?

• 4 months later...

I've been working on Stalingrad stuff for a couple months on/off.

I have a MASTERTOE of the 6th Army under Paulus, and the 62nd Army under Lopatin/Chuikov; both of which are around July 1942 and on. I tried to include units that entered the fight and subsequent encirclement. It is nearly complete, just being polished up. It's not perfect, but it should be pretty good. It will be at full strength. I will consider making a historical strength version once I can find the information on it.

I have been working on a map of Mamayev Kurgan, ETA is far out. The longer I wait the better it will come out, as I dig through tons of Stalingrad material. I plan on expanding on this mapping project to the surrounding areas; including the factories. I want to make an intact version before a destroyed version.

I have also reworked my Stalingrad mockup mastermap to be much more genuine to the real city. I have paired a photo that helps summarize it, but it's not my image.

Map key:

1. CMRT FR Hegyikastely

2. CMCW Dollbach Heights

3. CMRT FR Batzlow

4. CMBS Summer In The City (Worchester)

5. CMCW Haunetal

6. CMRT FR Pettend

7. CMBS Donetsk Airport

8. CMBS Backs To The Wall

9. CMCW Meerholz

10. CMCW Elm

11. CMRT FR Sinimaed Hills

12. CMRT FR Szekesfehervar

13. CMRT FR Berlin West

14. CMCW Neuhof

15. CMRT FR Pyritz Lettnin

16. CMRT FR Berlin East

17. CMCW Neiderjossa

18. CMRT FR Pyritz-Repenow

19. CMRT FR Berlin East

20. CMCW Lingelbach

21. CMRT FR Seregelyes

22. CMRT Rebels In Odessa

23. CMCW Alsfeld

24. CMRT FR Marzdorf

25. CMRT Bitvagorod

26. CMBS Summer In The City (Worchester)

taHEDq.png

(Stalingrad Pocket by Akhil Kadidal)

taHGaQ.png

taHydA.png

taH5LM.png

13 hours ago, Glubokii Boy said:

This might be helpful if you are working on a Stalingrad project...😎

I say it's not a project but I feel compelled to add to it all the time. Searching "Stalingrad" on Youtube yields the same low quality results. The politics of that are filthy, and it prevents me from getting to lesser known channels which could potentially provide alternative information. Thank you I will check this video out.

On 8/5/2022 at 10:03 PM, Glubokii Boy said:

This might be helpful if you are working on a Stalingrad project...😎

Just watched it, fantastic, thank you. This condenses the battle down in an easily understandable way. And it will be easy to refer back to it. I can definitley use this. And the pictures of the generals on their respective axis was a nice touch to make the names mote understandable

Edited by Artkin

On 8/5/2022 at 4:36 AM, Artkin said:

I added three maps to the South of Mamayev Kurgan. These are Npye's two Berlin maps, and Stalingrad center master map. So now this is much closer to being a dense city.

Hey Artkin what link do I copy so the image shows on the forum from Lens dump??? Cheers

1 minute ago, NPye said:

Hey Artkin what link do I copy so the image shows on the forum from Lens dump??? Cheers

right click the image on the lensdump website, and click "view image". Use that link

What you want is only the picture, instead of the whole webpage which has the picture on it. 

Edited by Artkin

1 minute ago, Artkin said:

right click the image on the lensdump website, and click "view image". Use that link

What you want is only the picture, instead of the whole webpage which has the picture on it. 

Ill test now. Cheers yep that worked

18Jzfm.jpg

6 hours ago, Artkin said:

We cannot. Those houses look really good, but I personally disabled the house part of the mod, because the interiors were empty. Will or can this be fixed?

Well I wouldn't think there would be much left in a shelled out building apart from brick rubble , metal and wood. What can you put in them, there are no furniture flavour objects, also the interior walls have only one graphic choice? There's not even stairs!!! To me the interiors in this game and the ability to fight in them is seriously the weakest point about the game, however i've built some of the larger complexes where you fight inside. Give me some decent interior flavours and ill populate them bud. Cheers

58 minutes ago, NPye said:

Well I wouldn't think there would be much left in a shelled out building apart from brick rubble , metal and wood. What can you put in them, there are no furniture flavour objects, also the interior walls have only one graphic choice? There's not even stairs!!! To me the interiors in this game and the ability to fight in them is seriously the weakest point about the game, however i've built some of the larger complexes where you fight inside. Give me some decent interior flavours and ill populate them bud. Cheers

Well I mean: you can't see the floors 

Edited by Artkin

2 hours ago, NPye said:

Also bud can you mix match ,maps from various CM titles??? Man now that would be good... Cheers

yes of course. I am playing your map in cmcw currently. 

2 hours ago, NPye said:

Ah I see what you mean, I did that to knock out all the floors above, which i I can't select buildings to apply to, it's all or nothing.

I'm not following 100%. I'll look back in the threads and find your original dilemma

• 1 month later...

I was creating a huge scenario about Operation Hubertus, the last German Offensive at Stalingrad, the map looked really good, I had the TO&E for the Germans, and a good Idea of what the Soviets had and then the War started up in the Ukraine. After adding all my eye candy [Mods] I couldn't run Black Sea's and RTFR, I was running out of memory on my laptop, so I decided to delete all of RTFR. I now regret doing that and now I'm back with RTFR only!! I have attempted the same map twice already, so I have a really good idea of what I need to do. My only issue is putting all of the AI and troop commands to work correctly. I would have to hand it off to somebody to fine tune the game and set up the AI.

On 9/13/2022 at 4:01 PM, Gary R Lukas said:

I was creating a huge scenario about Operation Hubertus, the last German Offensive at Stalingrad, the map looked really good, I had the TO&E for the Germans, and a good Idea of what the Soviets had and then the War started up in the Ukraine. After adding all my eye candy [Mods] I couldn't run Black Sea's and RTFR, I was running out of memory on my laptop, so I decided to delete all of RTFR. I now regret doing that and now I'm back with RTFR only!! I have attempted the same map twice already, so I have a really good idea of what I need to do. My only issue is putting all of the AI and troop commands to work correctly. I would have to hand it off to somebody to fine tune the game and set up the AI.

I look forward to seeing something like this. Funny you post on Sept. 13th

It is tough fighting in cities, but by the time Operation Hubertus started, there really wasn't too many buildings left standing. The Commissars House, the Opotheke, and the kindergarten were really the only buildings that weren't completely flattened or destroyed by air attacks and the artillery fired from both sides. The ground starts to taper down as you get closer to the Volga River, and there are a couple of gullies also, but other than that the ground is like the surface of the moon, with craters everywhere and then there is the smashed remains of some buildings, but not many because there were no major settlements here except from the direction that the Germans started their assault. The rest of the surrounding area would then be littered with smashed lifeless trees and more rubble and debris than anyone could imagine. There are some huge fuel storage tanks just to the south but that's about it. The Barrikady Gun Factory with its numerous work halls is just to the west, kind of out of the area of play. I have made this map twice before, and it really turned out good but unfortunately, I deleted both when I switched over to another BF Game. I'm not sure when I will be finished with the map, maybe a month or two, but since this is my third round making it, it does go a lot faster. If anyone would like to have a great book to read up about this, it's called Island Of Fire by Jason D. Mark. The book has tons of pictures and maps detailing the positions and routes that the Germans used to attack, and it also has a very accurate TO@E of the German Forces, it even has a total of Heavy and Light MG's, Flamethrowers and 81-120mm Mortars that each of the Pioneer Battalions had. The tank numbers and other vehicles that were used in the assault were also very accurate. I will close here by saying that with a little luck, this scenario might just be the only battle in a city where the only thing missing will be most of the buildings. Before I forget, I do start off this map by using the Central Master Map, although it is greatly reduced is size, just to get my bearings, so there is credit due to the author of the original Stalingrad Map.

On 4/4/2021 at 6:18 PM, Artkin said:

What's stopping people from creating this iconic, yet under appreciated battle? I hear so much talk about it, but never anything past Paulus' 6th Army being encircled and eaten alive.

I came across this map while searching for Youtuber TIK's high detail Stalingrad map he had made for himself by a graphic designer.

Sgrd_CE_Map_web-07-07.png

This map is goddamn gigantic. Over 8 feet x 3 feet. What's stopping someone from buying this map and using it to recreate Stalingrad. What are the topography maps like? Abundant? Seems like that's the only missing element. This map is gorgeous.

How much does this map cost in U.S. Dollar $$ What is the website??

20 minutes ago, Gary R Lukas said:

How much does this map cost in U.S. Dollar $$ What is the website??

https://ventonuovo.ventonuovo.net/epages/15417.mobile/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15417/Products/S08

Here it is, price seems unchanged from when I purchased it. It is made in Milan, Italy and is worth it! I would suggest laminating or permanently backing it with a thicker material if you dont plan on leaving it open on your wall for a long period of time. If you leave it rolled and open it to view it then the edges can get crinkled. The end of the unrolled portion of the map will try to collapse in on itself, pinching the center of the edge of the map. 

https://ventonuovo.ventonuovo.net/epages/15417.mobile/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15417

The map looks perfect for creating others off of. I've used it to start work on a Mamayev Kurgan master, which I've been neglecting as bad as my Donetsk Airport refresher map. 

Edited by Artkin