F&R Inspiration

On 4/23/2021 at 1:15 PM, herr_oberst said:

So I'm a dummy... got the email, downloaded F&R, installed... without doing a TimeMachine backup first.

F&R is in, and activated, but my 'Regiment Eicke' map is gone the way of the Dodo...

Rule #1: Never split attention between work and CM goodness. Important steps get forgotten.

well if it makes you feel any better, I formatted my old main drive this week when I got my new PC.. before copying over my my docs folder.  lost a bunch of stuff from CMSF2 that I hadn't backed up yet.  Fortunately not everything, but a good amount of work on my Sadr city map went up in smoke.

7 hours ago, sburke said:

well if it makes you feel any better, I formatted my old main drive this week when I got my new PC.. before copying over my my docs folder.  lost a bunch of stuff from CMSF2 that I hadn't backed up yet.  Fortunately not everything, but a good amount of work on my Sadr city map went up in smoke.

Man, that's bitter....

(re)Working on the 'Regiment Eicke' map as time permits (work sux, but that's a different story).

It's a 3x6 km map at the moment. Working on revising the 'contour line' mapping method (fast and pretty easy to draw) into a more visually appealing 'spline' map -- taking the high points/ridges, and lower valleys and mapping them with points to get rid of the stair-step that appeared so frequently. Some steepness definition is lost, but in favor of a visually appealing map.

Just started mapping the "streams" that appear on the map, but they have significant elevation changes, so using water isn't going to work -- it isn't flat. Marsh is teh current choice, but that will need some adornment to indicate 'not really vehicle crossable' at points...  still thinking through this part.