Can't trust plotted paths at all !?

1 minute ago, Jabble said:

Many of us largely avoid travelling on roads in the game, as that's where ambushes tend to lie.

You would click at the beginning and at the end. Fast would select the fastest route slow the route which gives the most cover. To travel on roads is mandatory in real life. You leave tracks behind in cross country. For the enemy air force to follow your trail. I lay ambushes on the approach routes not necessary on roads themselves. To lose an AC on a mine is the risk to take.  

15 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

You would click at the beginning and at the end. Fast would select the fastest route slow the route which gives the most cover. To travel on roads is mandatory in real life. You leave tracks behind in cross country. For the enemy air force to follow your trail. I lay ambushes on the approach routes not necessary on roads themselves. To lose an AC on a mine is the risk to take.  

OK, now you're talking about additional AI that would generate a path with cover - that's a whole different ask from verifying user-made paths to avoid getting stuck.  Personally I don't feel the need for that - it's up to me to choose my path with cover (if I want) or without it if I want to spot the enemy.

For relevance to this thread, I would just like to get through gaps without getting stuck.

For relevance to this thread, I would just like to get through gaps without getting stuck.

Some distance before the gap some distance behind the gap. You plot too many waypoints; I was caught like that with a foot bridge in battle for Normandy. Solution, select all the company and click twice before the bridge and behind the bridge. To micromanage with a squad at the time was impossible some members just wouldn't cross the bridge. Some games have bugs often bridges, buildings, among others. 

Just now, chuckdyke said:

Some distance before the gap some distance behind the gap. You plot too many waypoints; I was caught like that with a foot bridge in battle for Normandy. Solution, select all the company and click twice before the bridge and behind the bridge. To micromanage with a squad at the time was impossible some members just wouldn't cross the bridge. Some games have bugs often bridges, buildings, among others. 

Ah, but that's not the problem - I'm quite sparse on waypoints actually.  The problem is that some gaps that look passable aren't, unless some specific line segment is placed perfectly.  Look at the OP's description of the problem - that's what many of us experience.

This is an issue where the 'hitbox' - the volume representing the vehicle - collides with the hitbox of obstacles on the map, such as trees, buildings, walls etc.  This collision test only happens during the processing of the turn, not when the player creates the path (of infinitesimally thin vectors).  I've suggested that the same processing could be done for a single segment, on demand, before the end-turn button is pressed.  No new AI would be needed.

2 minutes ago, Jabble said:

The problem is that some gaps that look passable aren't

Example of this are forest tiles with no trees, some people are sloppy or try to be funny. Obstacles which are only for show like haystacks but actually don't exist part of the furniture. Frankly speaking learn from your experiences, I gave up on some scenarios out of frustration. Hobarts Funnies in Battle for Normandy was the worse one. Receive mission do a SMEAC and on the end see that a squad of engineers can't dismount a truck. Road to Nijmegen can't be completed because of a bridge bug. Don't criticize Beta Testers is another thing I learned. I just won't purchase some games. 

1 minute ago, chuckdyke said:

Example of this are forest tiles with no trees, some people are sloppy or try to be funny. Obstacles which are only for show like haystacks but actually don't exist part of the furniture. Frankly speaking learn from your experiences, I gave up on some scenarios out of frustration. Hobarts Funnies in Battle for Normandy was the worse one. Receive mission do a SMEAC and on the end see that a squad of engineers can't dismount a truck. Road to Nijmegen can't be completed because of a bridge bug. Don't criticize Beta Testers is another thing I learned. I just won't purchase some games. 

Indeed, so we could do with some solutions.  Such as path verification through obstacle gaps.

Indeed, so we could do with some solutions.  Such as path verification through obstacle gaps.

Peel of a scout team click A and click B they will find a path for you. The way I find paths in the bocage obviously they can only be passed by infantry. Path verification done by a friendly unit. 

7 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Peel of a scout team click A and click B they will find a path for you. The way I find paths in the bocage obviously they can only be passed by infantry. Path verification done by a friendly unit. 

OK, though that's a gamified workaround - something you wouldn't do in real life.  I'd like to see an actual in-game solution at some point.

3 minutes ago, Jabble said:

OK, though that's a gamified workaround

I disagree it is something I would do in real life. To use scouts to find an avenue of approach. The game workaround would be a road map. Whatever you plot on your road map can be copied or be automatically copied on your AO. That is one of my suggested solutions some time ago. HQs in real life don't have a Bird Eye view. They have topographic maps and roadmaps. 

3 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

I disagree it is something I would do in real life. To use scouts to find an avenue of approach. The game workaround would be a road map. Whatever you plot on your road map can be copied or be automatically copied on your AO. That is one of my suggested solutions some time ago. HQs in real life don't have a Bird Eye view. They have topographic maps and roadmaps. 

But scouts aren't normally used just to see if a vehicle can squeeze through a gateway - the whole idea of gates is to allow vehicular access.  Someone driving a vehicle should be able to judge a gap in the trees or a wall, not rely on scouts with measuring tape.  There is a specific mechanical problem in the game that would benefit from a solution.

But scouts aren't normally used just to see if a vehicle can squeeze through a gateway - the whole idea of gates is to allow vehicular access.  Someone driving a vehicle should be able to judge a gap in the trees or a wall, not rely on scouts with measuring tape.  There is a specific mechanical problem in the game that would benefit from a solution.

Use a Jeep it is a part of recon units and security. They could use the road map as I outlined. 

On 3/31/2021 at 6:14 PM, RMM said:

Ohhh for sure. Came across that the other day! I saw someone suggest a convoy move order that could mitigate at least the worst of that though.

Ah, yes, we'd all like that 🙂 

There was an attempt to create a "Follow" command where the following vehicle would follow the lead vehicle you designate after you've plotted the lead vehicle. It would have been lovely to simplify road movement, especially where you have a road column entering the map and your first waypoint needs to be inside the setup zone. 

It didn't work. It sort of did, but there were too many issues with it in beta testing to make it to prime time. Maybe one day....

Dave