Panther / Panzer IV H/J Early - Mid - Late production dates

looking over pictures of Panthers in Peiper's sector it looks none were the distinctive late variant Panthers. So my KG Pieper ToE will be mainly the "mid" variant.

Duel in the Mist pg 223 mentions 8 combat ready IVs and Vs bought back from Normandy and...

pg 230 mentions Bersin, (later to be part of Spitze) delivering a speech from a Panther A.

@theforger Hey I tried looking around real quick to find you some info. The holy grail website (imo so far) is :

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/

You can find LOTS of reports on unit strengths. I didnt see a section for Kg's but obviously that KG came from a unit, which very very likely has detailed statistics on it. If you can name the division, or even smaller formations, you will find it on Lexikon-der. If you can't let me know what unit they are from and I will provide it.

There was a section on Peiper interestingly, but nothing about his panthers.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/P/Pieper.htm

Edited by Artkin

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 10:55 AM, theforger said:

Are early - mid - late production model dates defined anywhere?

I.E. Panther VG Late = Jan 1945 onwards, so none of those models would have appeared with KG Peiper?

Don´t know what exactly CM defines as a late Panther G. However this one, equipped with steel rimmed road wheels has been abandoned in La Gleize 25/12/1944 and was part of KG Peiper.

Heinz Knappich's Panther '221' was abandoned in the centre of La gleize,the vehicle was originally standing in front of Alfreds… | Panther, Ardennes, Tanks military (pinterest.com)

Pin auf Panzerkampfwagen V ("panther") (pinterest.de)

and Panther Gs with chin turret at 26/12/1944 here:

Baugnez (1st SS PD)

image741.jpg

Hotton (116th PD)

image767.jpg

Edited by DesertFox

Thanks for that. The CM Late Panther G has that distinctive chin to prevent shells hitting the turret and being ricochetted down onto the top of the main chassis.

They were available for the Ardennes.

But the burnt out pic is the first one I've seen with the 1st SS Pzr Regiment. It's a pity there's no ID number with it. Appreciate the info. 

21 minutes ago, theforger said:

But the burnt out pic is the first one I've seen with the 1st SS Pzr Regiment. It's a pity there's no ID number with it. Appreciate the info. 

You are welcome. Tac No. is 111.

image741.jpg

The Battle of the Bulge Begins - Armored Attack 1944: U.S. Army Tank Combat in the European Theater (erenow.net)

Edited by DesertFox

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 3:39 PM, theforger said:

The CM Late Panther G has that distinctive chin to prevent shells hitting the turret and being ricochetted down onto the top of the main chassis.

They were available for the Ardennes.

I don't think there were any chin mantlet panthers in the stock Peiper campaign though.

Edited by Bulletpoint