WarPlan Germany

Erwin

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Another new game from Matrix that looks like a simpler more playable version of the Grigsby games like War in the West.  Anyone played this yet?

Matrix are also about to release War Plan Pacific which looks like a more playable version of WITPAE.

I have the original WarPlan.  Now that the developer, Alvaro Sousa, is making WarPlan Pacific I think some are referring to the original as WarPlan West, WarPlan Europe, WarPlan Germany etc.  The developer Alvaro is very involved and continues to update the original WarPlan.  He is very active on the Matrix WarPlan forums answering questions, implementing suggestions and taking bug reports. 

WarPlan reminded me of the Avalon Hill board game Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.  I read the developer diaries for the game and on the very first post of Dev. Diary #1 was a big screenshot of the old Avalon Hill game box for Rise and Decline.  The developer goes on to explain how he played the Avalon Hill board game as a kid.  Some of the inspiration for WarPlan came from the board game.  As a kid I spent many hours playing the board game.  Now the computer does all the number crunching. :) 

I recommend the game.  I will eventually buy WarPlan Pacific but I have been busy with CM.  I checked and it looks like Alvaro released an update for the original WarPlan on 17 March 2021, demonstrating his continuing commitment to the games.  Any problems the WarPlan games may have you can count on Alvaro to fix / update.  Below is my plan of attack several months ago when I had time for it.  If you played the board game or just like WW II games you'll probably like WarPlan.   

WZEc3Kfh.jpg 

Thanks for the review, MOS.  The latest Grigsby versions of "War in the East" and "War in the West" look like a lot of work.  The War Plan Pacific pics look almost exactly like the Grigsby WITPAE.  While I really like Grigsby's massive WITPAE, it looks like the newer Alvaro Sousa War Plan series is a simpler/more streamlined/playable version of the Grigsby games - at least I hope so.