Cease fire?

Ceasefires are secret within the game.

As far as whether you tell your opponent it depends on who you are playing. Usually what will happen is that either myself or my opponent will throw in the towel and message the other. At that point we both submit a ceasefire since a surrender sets all surviving units of the surrendering player to "missing". Although I don't play for the end-game win-condition since it ought to be obvious how well you performed and the Major/minor/tactical victory/loss doesn't actually matter. I imagine some players actually do hold to that in which case you might want to keep it secret.

4 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

When playing pbem? and you opponent selects cease fire, sends his turn , do you get an in game message that your opponent wants to cease fire?

If you want to Cease Fire you will need to tell your opponent so they can also hit Cease Fire. Otherwise the game will continue. No message is generated by the game itself.

6 hours ago, Khalerick said:

If you want to communicate it in-game, take all your men and Fast their way to the nearest enemy.

I think it's more respectful to your opponent to just give up when you can't win, instead of doing some kind of silly suicide attack.

A bit like in chess, you shake the opponent's hand and leave the table when you give up - you don't throw the pieces at him.

19 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think it's more respectful to your opponent to just give up when you can't win, instead of doing some kind of silly suicide attack.

A bit like in chess, you shake the opponent's hand and leave the table when you give up - you don't throw the pieces at him.

I was just joking, but an IRL chess table flip is a good analog to the Fast zerg out.

Ha ha... Brings back memories from having the Risk board a little too big for the coffee table. Just so happened I had a very bad turn and got up in haste for a breather... of course my knee hits the board and it flips onto the floor, pieces everywhere. My opponent was impressed and called me a suck... lol.

My sense is that enjoyment can be gotten not for a simple win, but by managing to avoid a huge loss by better management of one's remaining forces.  When a player thinks he's getting a sure win he will often get careless.  Several times I have played games where my oppo got arrogant and proceeded to "rush" to the win and through carelessness and hubris, he ended up losing.  Delicious times.  :)  

8 minutes ago, Erwin said:

My sense is that enjoyment can be gotten not for a simple win, but by managing to avoid a huge loss by better management of one's remaining forces.  When a player thinks he's getting a sure win he will often get careless.  Several times I have played games where my oppo got arrogant and proceeded to "rush" to the win and through carelessness and hubris, he ended up losing.  Delicious times.  :)  

That sounds like me against the AI! 

Delicious times, love it😅

On 3/25/2021 at 10:14 AM, AlexUK said:

That sounds like me against the AI! 

Delicious times, love it😅

Same. I've actually done it so often that I've started to recognize I'm in way too much of a hurry-up mode and will save the game to take it up another day. It's especially dangerous with the modern titles, because you can be having a clean sweep of a map, yet 60s of carelessness can end with one insurgent mowing down a full squad or something equally disastrous.

Edit: the #1 reason for it btw is because I like the campaigns, so if I'm nearing the end of a mission I get in a rush because I want to see the next battle. So it's definitely a nod to those who design these maps that they got me hitting fast-forward at the expense of my troops.

Edited by Khalerick