If this can be our awaiting CM3...!!

I've never played these shooters, but have friends who are addicts. I always wondered what would happen if you held a PVP platoon-platoon tournament with a meaningful purse of, say, $2k each for survivors of the winning clan. All the latest realism mods applied, but ZERO respawns. So if you die, win or lose, you get *nothing*.

... Would you then see a tense, cautious combat tempo that looked more like an actual WWII battlefield (eerily deserted, lots of 'peeky-peeky-blamo' or bursts of area fire to suppress unseen targets and cover bounding movement)? I mean, instead of hectic every-superhero-for-himself arcade gameplay.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

10 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

I've never played these shooters, but have friends who are addicts. I always wondered what would happen if you held a PVP platoon-platoon tournament with a meaningful purse of, say, $2k each for survivors of the winning clan. All the latest realism mods applied, but ZERO respawns. So if you die, win or lose, you get *nothing*.

... Would you then see a tense, cautious combat tempo that looked more like an actual WWII battlefield (eerily deserted, lots of 'peeky-peeky-blamo' or bursts of area fire to suppress unseen targets and cover bounding movement)? I mean, instead of hectic every-superhero-for-himself arcade gameplay.

^ .....................and that's the problem with FPS games. Very few play as if their life depends upon it. It's mostly run and gun without much attempt at teamplay and survival.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:24 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

War is the most foul activity men ever invented. I often wonder why we feel attracted to it.

The same reason as to why we enjoy watching horror films and thrillers or detective tv-series. It's often far away from our daily life and give us some excitement.

If we were having this daily we would probably not feel the need to watch or play it.

that's the problem with FPS games. Very few play as if their life depends upon it.

Red Orchestra was a game I enjoyed very much as one has to be careful and not die too early. If you do and play as another soldier in the platoon or squad you might have caused the death of everyonecand loose the battle.

I wish more first person war shooters used the same system. 

Edited by BornGinger

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

The motion capture wears out its welcome pretty quick. You've got a lot of guys in leotards with ping pong balls stuck to them badly overacting. Result is a game whose action is about as subtle as a 1950s Soviet war movie.

Do you play any games other than Combat Mission...?

On 3/16/2021 at 2:19 PM, c3k said:

Wow. Stunning

It maybe looks good but I'm sure that it also requires the latest graphics cards to look good and play well too.

Although I wouldn't mind to have a Combat Mission game that looks better, I don't want the game to require any newer graphics cards then those with... well let's say 1 or 2Gb memory.

16 hours ago, BornGinger said:

It maybe looks good but I'm sure that it also requires the latest graphics cards to look good and play well too.

Although I wouldn't mind to have a Combat Mission game that looks better, I don't want the game to require any newer graphics cards then those with... well let's say 1 or 2Gb memory.

We don't ask to have the full expensive detailed pixels and last cry available...but something more modern more detailed and not too heavy the png format for exemple this will reduce your expensive graphic card and others hardware that you will need, but also working a little more to have more animations will change the game aspect and gameplay...

If you play CMBN CMFI cmsf1 2 we have always the same amim, so if we cannot have better pictures we can have little more anim. I don't think this will change the size  and the weight worse  to the game.

You don't know also what bring the new CM3 so perhaps we have to change some stuff in our Pc's ??

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

4 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

to have more animations will change the game aspect and gameplay...

I hope you don't have the Caen Youtube video in the first post of this thread as a reference to more and different animations.

It's not even necessary to look carefully to see that most running, throwing themselves to the ground and dying animations are not more than two or three for each action being repeated all through that video.

Although having more and different animations for things the troops do in the Combat Mission games wouldn't be bad I hope they won't look as bad as the ones in that video.

9 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Small point for some maybe, but they are using a modern weapons carry in the Caen vid. But more animations in CM would be good.

Hmm, what Modern Weapon do you think it might be...Are you maybe referring to the German Para FG-42 LMG ?

Play on Camera Position 1 with an FPS Mode. Want Camera Position 4 send up a drone or have a spotting plane for WW2. Company HQ and above have 'Charts' to keep track of the troops. All with cinematic quality. For me I am happy enough the way it is, that means morale, leadership, experience. The ballistics from 9mm to 155mm calculated.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:00 PM, Bubba883XL said:

ive moved on for modern shooters to squad, the level of realism is so great. such a hardcore milsim of a game..

Squad comes from Project Reality from Battlefield 2. The PR team is so prestigious that they were given the rights to Battlefield 2 (I believe, or at least full and total access to the games internal files.)  by EA.... Something totally unheard of. The devil itself....

Anyway, PR is by large and far the superior game, if the community is still there. Squad was created by former PR members, and they really screwed up the launch imo. Last I played the game it was a horrific laggy mess, overcomplicated, nobody played the game as it should have been. Nobody had a mic, nothing was really introduced... It was a straight up horror show.

PR is the real deal. No mic? Kicked. Wandering off? Kicked. Failing to play like a teammate? Kicked.

PR's ecosystem was micromanaged by terrible server owners, but it led to the best times I've ever had in my life gaming. Seriously, PR is the better game by larrrrgeee and farrrrr. Squad sucks.

3 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Play on Camera Position 1 with an FPS Mode. Want Camera Position 4 send up a drone or have a spotting plane for WW2. Company HQ and above have 'Charts' to keep track of the troops. All with cinematic quality. For me I am happy enough the way it is, that means morale, leadership, experience. The ballistics from 9mm to 155mm calculated.

Bro you must be the only guy in the whole community that plays with numpad camera positions LOL

On 3/27/2021 at 11:45 AM, mjkerner said:

No, JoMac, I meant they are holding/carrying their weapons like modern troops do...stock tucked into shoulder, barrel down when no threat near, barrel up when threat known/near. Doesn’t look right to me, especially on the move.

Ok, and understand...It does have that Modern feel to it where today's troops are trained to hold weapons differently compared to WWII. 

This is the Cold War DLC for ARMA 3.

It shows the good and bad.  The movement is good.  Some cool weapons and vehicles.  Fairly atmospheric.  But you can see there is almost no coordination or cohesion with your own troops or by the AI.  Its like every individual is on its own missions and has its own tactics.

10 hours ago, Artkin said:

Bro you must be the only guy in the whole community that plays with numpad camera positions LOL

You like realism? That's the way it is and on Iron. Platoon HQ has a notepad in RL we have camera position five. See how much graphic design a topographic map has, you must learn how to read it. Here we have people who criticize the graphics it is the last of my concerns. Better let a squad enter a house through the first-floor window. When you go on hide in a house assume the troops are in the cellar. The effect like they are hiding in a foxhole. 

17 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

This is the Cold War DLC for ARMA 3.

It shows the good and bad.  The movement is good.  Some cool weapons and vehicles.  Fairly atmospheric.  But you can see there is almost no coordination or cohesion with your own troops or by the AI.  Its like every individual is on its own missions and has its own tactics.

I love the burning vehicle effects, with dense gouts of smoke and flame belching out. Far more atmospheric than CM which, being still at core a tactical wargame (animated ASL), uses the flames and smoke pillar as a marker.

3 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

animated ASL

Thats exactly how I view CM.  CM1 definitely and CM2 still somewhat.  I think the work they have done on infantry combat, especially machine guns and suppression, has move it more to the sim side of things.  But tank combat still strikes me as miniatures on the PC, on steroids.

On 3/16/2021 at 3:24 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

Indeed, my friend. War is the most foul activity men ever invented. I often wonder why we feel attracted to it.

'It is a good thing that war is so terrible, lest we grow too fond of it' Oft ascribed to Robert E Lee, but my understanding is that something similar goes much, much further back to Roman General Scipio. After all, look how many of us enjoy these wargames, and consider that chess...is a wargame.