A problem with a railway bridge over a ravine.

Hiya folks,

I'm making a map which has two cliffsides that are combined with a railway bridge, or actually two railway bridges as the bridges in Final Blitzkrieg aren't long enough, over a steep ravine. As far as I understand I have done everything correct when it comes to the action squares that the bridges are connected to but still doesn't manage to get it look correct on the 3d map. I have tried to both lower and rise the elevation where the bridge is getting connected to the ground, lower and rise the area around where the bridge is getting connected to the ground as well as the area where it's getting connected, rise the area a bit more just before the spot where the bridge is getting connected to the ground and I don't remember what else I have tried.

I have looked at the 2d map for the scenario A December Morning, which also has a railway bridge high up above the ground, but don't see any big difference to what I have done on my 2d map. The only difference I see is that A December Morning has the ditch feature (ctrl key + mouse click to get blue elevation squares) on it's map.

If anyone who has been in the same situation and remember what he did to solve the problem, it would be of help.

Picture one is showing the 2d map in the scenario editor and the bridge viewed from south east on the 3d map. Picture two is also showing both the 2d map and the 3d version but viewed from the opposite direction.

MSjgujq.jpg

8BrkfTS.jpg

I get the bridges done as early as possible in the building process because it can be tricky. This is more so for diagonal bridges.

I appreciate you've probably put in a lot of effort already but I sometimes reorientate maps to mitigate against editor limitations, bridges, road curves etc.

Underlying tiles can have a small effect, gravel versus grass for example.

The more tiles of the same elevation around the end of the bridges, and running along the track away from the bridge, the better, but not much help when linking bridges together.

Happy to email you my versions of Trois Ponts,  SW Malmedy and La Gleize which may help? La Gleize has 3 bridges linked albeit east to west.

5 hours ago, theforger said:

Underlying tiles can have a small effect, gravel versus grass for example.

I changed the tiles and made all of those connected to the bridges into rocky red, or whatever they're called but it didn'make any difference.

4 hours ago, benpark said:

I see some that aren't matching up above the lower line on my image- the 47/46/26 one , in particular.

The 26 meters tile and a bit above and below are ones which are under the bridge.

I had earlier made all tiles around the areas where the bridges connect to the ground having the same elevation but that didn't make any difference which is why I went back to how I wanted it to look.

I think I have found the solution to the problem.

I had earlier lowered the elevation a bit were the bridges connect to the ground but didn't see much difference so I went back to how I wanted it to be. 

But I decided to try and lower the elevation even more and made the 47 and 46 meter elevation tiles into 43 meter elevation tiles and it looks a bit better now although not perfect.

From this problem I think I have learned that there is a limit to how high up bridges can be placed. It seems that bridges, or at least the 56 meters long stone railway bridge, can't be higher above the sea level than 42 or 43 meters. If they are higher up than that we get the problem with bridges sunking into the ground.

Thank you all for your advices and thoughts about what I could try to make it work.

Now when this problem is solved I can continue with this map and also add some AI plans to it.