Your Most Frustrating Game in SF2?

NATO Handstreich SF2 takes the cake. 2 Hour Game Folds after some 48 minutes. Syrian forces surrender and gave me a Major Victory. Penalized me for destroying too many buildings. I followed the guidelines and returned fire after I received it. I like to know what the Editor had in mind when he designed it. Anybody else experienced some frustrations? Played on Iron against the AI. Will try it on Hotseat and play as Syrian, I don't think it is much good against the AI. 

It was designed as an exercise in frustration. ;)

Damned if you do - damned if you don't.

But good job in getting a major victory - you can screw this up rather easily - or not if you are careful.

Some players like max time. Mind some players are new to this or just want some fun so having lots of time to slowly work out what to do suits some play styles. In truth that was the idea - something straightforward and easy enough to play for those new to the game. Not every scenario has to be a session in existential angst.

But in reality you can push through this sooner.

Better trying 'Halte! Hammerzeit' more up your street I suspect. Or 'Daraya Tank Raid' now that will keep you on your toes..

Oh don't even trying playing as Syrians as its play as Blue vs AI only. 

Edited by George MC

2 hours ago, George MC said:

Damned if you do - damned if you don't.

Recon is the tactic, and the snipers were the key. 1 Sniper was more effective than the Leopard 2. One AA Vehicle 7 Syrians the reason I didn't have a Total victory. Heavy shelling after he spotted the AA Vehicle. I took two out that way yes, the buildings the AA Vehicle was hiding behind changed into rubble. Thought that was permitted. Snipers share their intel with the C2 of their platoon the designated scouts are slower to share intel. The Leopard 2's were behind the snipers too, so they received their intel. Syrians had only Sagger ATGM's and recoilless rifles. Cost me one immobilized Marder. Thanks for the tip not to play as Syrian. If you don't destroy buildings, the attrition rate would be unacceptable in my view. I used the Leopards to mask the activities of my snipers. Checking the Leopards ammunition, it is not suitable for MOUT operations. This goes for most of the games in CM. The Marders were sufficient during the MOUT operations their best defense against ATGM's is their speed. 

For me I think it is the Forging Steel campaign, which is another George's creations, if I am not wrong.

I only call it frustrating because of the quality of the OPFOR troops. The map is fantastic, the core force is probably exactly the sort of formation I would choose if playing a QB. Everything about it seems right up my alley. But all enemy are crack. I gave up because of how difficult it was to dislodge even a small, isolated team.

I'm not criticising the design, and I know this is precisely what George was going for, as you had replied to me back when I played it. I am only frustrated because I didn't keep playing it and it seemed like one I would really enjoy if it weren't so difficult for me. Maybe there's a version with reduced enemy skill?

5 minutes ago, landser said:

For me I think it is the Forging Steel campaign, which is another George's creations, if I am not wrong.

I only call it frustrating because of the quality of the OPFOR troops. The map is fantastic, the core force is probably exactly the sort of formation I would choose if playing a QB. Everything about it seems right up my alley. But all enemy are crack. I gave up because of how difficult it was to dislodge even a small, isolated team.

I'm not criticising the design, and I know this is precisely what George was going for, as you had replied to me back when I played it. I am only frustrated because I didn't keep playing it and it seemed like one I would really enjoy if it weren't so difficult for me. Maybe there's a version with reduced enemy skill?

Yeah - I had thought when playtesting it was too easy for Blue as the RED AFVs stuff is a tad outclassed by Blue AFVs. Aye getting the balance is a tough one. I think a few years down the line I've recognised that not every players wants a sufferfest!

If you like PM me your email address and I'll fire you the missions and the campaign script via DB and you can amend the experience levels for each mission (or play em as standalones) as to what you like :)

You'd have to go through each mission in the editor and modify the OPFOR experience settings (just select 'typical' and click on each unit it'll automatically change em. Save the mission then compile them and voila - a bespoke campaign ;)

ps I would have done that normally but tad tied up with other projects right now.

I might just do, thanks for the offer. I don't like doing this usually, as it reveals too much that I would rather remain hidden until I am playing it. But I may decide to try this down the line. Regardless, I appreciate your skilled efforts to provide campaign content for the player base. Keep up the good work!

12 minutes ago, landser said:

I might just do, thanks for the offer. I don't like doing this usually, as it reveals too much that I would rather remain hidden until I am playing it. But I may decide to try this down the line. Regardless, I appreciate your skilled efforts to provide campaign content for the player base. Keep up the good work!

Thank you - appreciated :)

If I have the time and space I'll take a shot at it but defo have bit much on my plate right now otherwise would have done it off the bat ;)

Edited by George MC