Only the Russians would have this much WW2 equipment to pull off this Victory Day Parade

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

What else would you think any parade anywhere in the world is?

This isn't a parade anywhere in the world. It's a propaganda show by a regime that starts unjustified wars, poisons people and tries to destabilize other countries. In my eyes that makes it rather different, wouldn't you agree?

Edited by Aragorn2002

44 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

It is to show their troops got a higher IQ than the horses. The horses can poo on the pavers the soldiers cannot. 

🙂

I think the Russian military is a lot better than we think. That will also be shown in CMCW, I expect. 

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

🙂

I think the Russian military is a lot better than we think. That will also be shown in CMCW, I expect. 

Hungary 1956, Prague 1967, Afghanistan 1979-1989. Soviet forces Cold War performance. Like they say in the game of cricket, they didn't get exactly the runs on the board. But we can play a game of a war which never was. All hypothetical we could play the Dutch in Indonesia too. At least they captured Soekarno and Hatta and thereby lost the police actions as it was a political disaster in the UN. Militarily they performed well! Imagine the US capturing Ho Chi Minh in Hanoi we would have been saturated with Chuck Norris movies. Police Actions, it makes a nice game. Airborne forces capture the airfield, DC 3 transports land and unload the transport (Jeeps). Drive to Yogyakarta reach today's Jalan Marlboro. Settle at Ford Vredesburg. Get a Sergeant with a hand grenade cross the road to the parliament building and throw a grenade over the walled fence. Soekarno and Hatta come outside to surrender. A textbook example of how to lose a war. Going back to the Cold War in Europe I just can't imagine it how it ever would have turned hot. Support in Eastern Europe was at the most lukewarm. Happy gaming :)

3 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

This isn't a parade anywhere in the world. It's a propaganda show by a regime that starts unjustified wars, poisons people and tries to destabilize other countries. In my eyes that makes it rather different, wouldn't you agree?

Your list at least does not make Russia very unique. So why are you trying to politicise the OP?

Edited by StieliAlpha

16 hours ago, Amedeo said:

Even the Russians recently had to "import" T-34-85 tanks to satisfy their reenactment parade needs.

Remind the longs manoever in the 80 when  tanks have to be mooring on the train...

Edited by 3j2m7

1 hour ago, StieliAlpha said:

Your list at least does not make Russia very unique. So why are you trying to politicise the OP?

Because Putin is a politician? And not just any politician. A rather UNIQUE one, I would say. But apparently you don't share that view, which is fine by me.😉

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

Hungary 1956, Prague 1967, Afghanistan 1979-1989. Soviet forces Cold War performance. Like they say in the game of cricket, they didn't get exactly the runs on the board. But we can play a game of a war which never was. All hypothetical we could play the Dutch in Indonesia too. At least they captured Soekarno and Hatta and thereby lost the police actions as it was a political disaster in the UN. Militarily they performed well! Imagine the US capturing Ho Chi Minh in Hanoi we would have been saturated with Chuck Norris movies. Police Actions, it makes a nice game. Airborne forces capture the airfield, DC 3 transports land and unload the transport (Jeeps). Drive to Yogyakarta reach today's Jalan Marlboro. Settle at Ford Vredesburg. Get a Sergeant with a hand grenade cross the road to the parliament building and throw a grenade over the walled fence. Soekarno and Hatta come outside to surrender. A textbook example of how to lose a war. Going back to the Cold War in Europe I just can't imagine it how it ever would have turned hot. Support in Eastern Europe was at the most lukewarm. Happy gaming :)

Politioneel my behind :)

It was an asymmetric war for/against independence. My grandfather fought there for ~four years 46-49. Indeed military performance was decent enough, but (geo)politics was a thing. Probably (understatement) shouldn't have started the bloody thing especially as we were just 'liberated' ourselves. Anyway that's way off topic.

3 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Politioneel my behind :)

It was an asymmetric war for/against independence. My grandfather fought there for ~four years 46-49. Indeed military performance was decent enough, but (geo)politics was a thing. Probably (understatement) shouldn't have started the bloody thing especially as we were just 'liberated' ourselves. Anyway that's way off topic.

It was the Marschall Plan continuation of the 'politionele akties' would have seen it suspended. But I am not here to discuss Dutch politics of the time. 

I suppose the first question would be "who's the audience?" for the T34 parade.  It's probably domestic.  By tying himself to a glorious historical episode of national heroism, Putin is trying to legitimize himself to his own people.  As if Putin is the only playing on nationalism.  Now if Russia could just keep making those WW2 movies since they are the only place making them.

But those T34s!  what an excellent solution to a big problem in short amount of time.  Kursk showed USSR was massively outgunned and they needed a stop-gap solution, fast.  So while they were developing the heavies that would come later, they put a bigger, better gun on an upgraded version of a proven carriage.  And still kept it to 35 tons so it was fast and maneuverable across bad terrain and didn't gobble fuel.  It wasn't heavy armor but at least it could fight w the bigger german tanks.  A solid solution from an engineering and industrial standpoint IMO.

On 3/9/2021 at 5:29 AM, StieliAlpha said:

Yeah....That's a good question. We're getting really close to the edge here.

If this is a thread about "Hey look! Here's a video showing lot of WW2 tanks rolling down the street. It's kinda cool to see them moving around.....even if it is just a parade" then we're good. If it keeps sliding down the slippery slope that we're starting to see it slide down......that ain't as good. 

You're talking to Aragorn, the guy that only plays as the Germans in Combat Mission and has talked about how great a Holocaust deniers books are. Any time someone posts something about the Russians hes always very eager to tell us about how awful they were even if the topic has nothing to do with it. He has a very obvious agenda and honestly he shouldn't be posting here anymore in my opinion.

Sorry for the continued derail but I really feel like this needs to be said.

1 hour ago, AttorneyAtWar said:

You're talking to Aragorn, the guy that only plays as the Germans in Combat Mission and has talked about how great a Holocaust deniers books are. Any time someone posts something about the Russians hes always very eager to tell us about how awful they were even if the topic has nothing to do with it. He has a very obvious agenda and honestly he shouldn't be posting here anymore in my opinion.

Sorry for the continued derail but I really feel like this needs to be said.

And the Brits! I like playing as the Brits too! 😁

13 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

If this is a thread about "Hey look! Here's a video showing lot of WW2 tanks rolling down the street. It's kinda cool to see them moving around.....even if it is just a parade" then we're good. If it keeps sliding down the slippery slope that we're starting to see it slide down......that ain't as good. 

Salute to BFCElvis!

That was my only intention when I posted this. I thought wow, look at all the WW2 stuff, from weapons to uniforms! This is like looking back into history in HD and color! 

I feel like Pandora who mistakenly opened a terrible box when she thought it was from "Amazon's" and only had gifts she wanted to share with her friends.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, BFCElvis said:

Thanks, Elvis.