PT 76

Sequoia

I'm no armor expert but it seems as if this light tank fell out of the Soviet TO&E shortly after our time frame. There aren't any in Shock Force either in the Syrian Army. Was it a dog?

Edited by Sequoia
Spelling

I believe the Russian Marines still field PT-76 is one form or another. Back-in-the-day PT-76 was the standard against which the US measured its own light armor. They cancelled multiple promising projects because it couldn't swim like PT-76 or was slower that PT-76 or or less well armed than PT-76. Eventually the US fielded the Sheridan with its awkward swimming screen and too-large-for-the-vehicle 152mm gun. In the game PT-76 is a sportscar but it suffers the fate of all lightly armed/armored vehicles on a battlefield dominated by MBTs.

Edited by MikeyD

36 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

I'm no armor expert but it seems as if this light tank fell out of the Soviet TO&E shortly after out time frame. There aren't any in Shock Force either in the Syrian Army. Was it a dog?

As you know, it is a light amphibious tank used in the Soviet Army for scouting purposes and already obsolescent (if not obsolete) by the early '80s.

I presume that it is included in CM:CW just because of this: being a standard asset of the recce elements of the army that the game narrative has on the strategic offensive, it is likely to be encountered in a typical meeting engagement scenario.

On the other hand, being the Syrian army on the strategic defensive in CM:SF, it would have serious difficulties (euphemism) in fulfilling its role in a battlefield dominated by US/NATO air/elint/antiarmour assets.

I just ran a little test scenario. I was able to hole a PT-76 straight through the turret from 1,950m. But as I was gloating over my victory I lost two M60A1s the same way from the same range from an unseen T-64B. So PT-76's vulnerabilities aren't as evident on a battlefield where EVERYBODY dies. :o

The P-76 can come in handy when you need some mobile firepower across a water barrier quickly.  Either as recon or to help hold a bridgehead for the bridging of heavier armor.  In a strategic game, I want P-76s to get out in front and support recon units that have to move fast, far, and across barriers.  In a tactical setting, it would be the last one selected for the team.  In a quick battle, its just to use up some points.

8 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

Sort of like the British Scimitar but with a larger gun. Good recon vehicles, as stated above.

The CVR(T) Scorpion would be a closer match gun-wise (also 76mm), which also had decent brew making facilities.  I am unaware of the existence of a toilet on the CVR(T) series though.  Warrior had one but pretty sure CVR(T) didn't.

The vehicle was fitted with a nuclear, biological, chemical protection system, image intensification sights for gunner and driver and a floatation screen.[2] A commode was located under the commander's seat, an internal water tank and a boiling vessel for cooking and heating water were also provided.[21]

Wikipedia, but it is sourced.  This is from the Scorpion page, however.

Wasn't the PT-76 the first combat victim of the TOW missile (in Vietnam)? I think the key advantage of the PT-76 was it could swim / float - other than that it was a fairly basic vehicle with thin armour and a modest gun (effective range 600-700m?).  They used to display one at Duxford as part of the mini-tankfest events they organised to coincide with Father's day - very dusty affairs!

Dux-9.jpg?dl=1

This time with added dust and showing off it's 'mega hatch' to good effect:

PT-76-1.jpg?dl=1

PT-76-2.jpg?dl=1

Since comparisons have been made with the CVR-T, here are some shots of a Scorpion and a Sabre (a hybrid vehicle that mated a Scorpion chassis with the turret from a Fox armoured car to produce a Scimitar-like vehicle).

Scorpion:

Dux-4.jpg?dl=1

Dux-5.jpg?dl=1

Sabre:

Dux-3.jpg?dl=1

Dux-6.jpg?dl=1