Celleno: The Final Battle

Q0XicnX.jpg

The Mission

uxp3pM0.jpg

Before us, lies the hill-top fortress of Celleno. This is the final objective of our campaign, and it looks to be the toughest one, yet. We did our best to conserve our fuel, ammo and manpower for this battle. We are ahead of the recce, and nearly blind. Now, night approaches and we must begin the assault.

The Plan

QC7G9Il.jpg

Phase 1: Establish observation points and direct the initial bombardment.

Phase 2: Occupy the heights and establish a base of fire.

Phase 3: Begin the combined assault on ALPHA.

Phase 4: Mop up BRAVO and CHARLIE.

The Forces

sSnBsOI.jpg

Task Force 1 (Armoured): C Squadron (Major Chetty)

Task Force 2 (Infantry): B Company (Major Jansen)

Task Force 3 (Infantry): C Company (Major Ntsimango)

Supports: 2 x Recce Troops, 2 x Forward Observers, 2 x Machinegun Sections

Edited by DerKommissar

• 3 weeks later...

PRELUDE: A Retrospective

8myvLqe.png

This was our Battalion's first battle against the Hun, in Italy. It has been a rude awakening, and lessons were learned the hard way.

mT2W5nk.png

After a heavy bombardment, Jerry pulled back from his defensive line. Little did we know about their well-prepared fallback positions.

MRlbcGf.png

Their guns are well positioned, camouflaged and fortified. They make mincemeat out of infantry, and seriously crippled a couple of Shermans.

nl3TfLD.png

We tried to advance quickly, to avoid being bled dry in kill-zones. The Hun made great use of automatic weapons and hand-held anti-tank launchers.

uoQUVxg.png

We decided to take it slow, to conserve our forces. If this deadly maze is a sign of things to come -- we will need them for taking Celleno.

STUyNLq.png

First, we take our time probing their positions. Second, we slowly surround them. Third, we pound them into submission.

Sd5FEwX.png

Fourth, Jerry counter-attacks with tanks. This caught us off-guard -- we can expect armoured counter-attacks, going forward.

An AA gun in a foxhole? That's new to me! Your opponent is in it to win it baby!!! :lol:

But seriously that map looks like a total knife fight. If I was to avoid it I would strike Charlie with TF 2+3. TF1 would secure that nasty SW-facing alley. Proceed to flank and destroy. Without knowing the topography of course.

Great title btw, I had a total blast.

Edited by Artkin

Phase 1: Recce

OQTREmS.png

Recce platoons sneak their way into the brush. We need to see what we're dealing with.

1THUHwZ.png

Forward observers establish satisfactory observation posts. They are ready to direct remaining artillery assets, for Phase 2.

xsdlfwU.png

Oi! PAK opened up on us! Reverse -- oh, and do let Major Chetty's Shermans know where they are.

miUC3pT.png

Firing at that tree-line! First shot falls short!

godD4BB.png

PAK returns fire! That was a close one -- hope we've brought spare underpants.

ulVbsgK.jpg

They've quieted down after a few shots... but keep firing! Major Chetty doesn't want to see that PAK, ever again.

YaWCLbr.png

The Huns know we're here. MG bullets ricochets off of armour, as our own MGs arrive into the thick of it.

5u2whLo.png

HMG spotted. The gloves are coming off. Time to establish fire superiority.

• 3 weeks later...

Phase 2: Base of Fire

pXzvOMQ.png

DqkA3p3.png

Snipers sit atop the hill, in sturdy brick structures on Point Charlie. Shermans have to fill in as field guns.

Xq4eVWY.png

WrBx7QR.png

Sustained HMG fire is forcing Jerry to pull back from Point Bravo. This flank looks weak, Major Chetty is growing eager for an attack.

Ieczb3R.png

Forward observers enjoy a great view, as spotting rounds fall on Point Alpha. All of the Battlegroup's howitzers are coming down on Celleno.

NzgI37m.png

Task Force 1 is poised to strike. Task Force 2 and 3 are waiting for artillery cover. Assault is imminent.

Edited by DerKommissar

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 4:28 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

Looks stunning, DK. I take it this is work in progress?

I've managed to finish it before F&R dropped. Still have to select, crop and upload the images, and the new games have been keeping me busy. I'll post part 3, soon!

Phase 3: Assault

ehXGeFl.png

Major Chetty leads Task Force 1 into a hail of fire.

bguk3Bw.jpg

Shermans supporting Major Jensen's Task Force 2, answering, in kind.

zmbvsmb.png

All of the Battlegroup's Stonks are dumped on the defenders. Major Chetty speeds onwards.

14aZv7v.png

Infantry from Major Ntsimango's Task Force 3, advance under artillery cover.

dpuYG5h.png

Jerry answers with artillery fire on Task Force 2's base of fire, as our own barrage ends.

7iwi8hv.jpg

Task Force 2 gets bogged down in house-to-house fighting, not far from their objective.

H5SPtI8.jpg

Major Chetty's gamble pays off, as Bravo is virtually undefended. Task Force 1 quickly moves to exploit the enemy's rear.

Y2PDtQp.jpg

As the smoke from Task Force 2's light mortars clears, the 88 is ambushed. Major Chetty scores a battlefield commendation.

lfI9aWb.png

As the bullets crack over their heads, the German officers decide it's not worth it, after all. If only they'd had that revelation, earlier.

V6d5sCj.png

Edited by DerKommissar